PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A Guide to Spell Channeling

Thurbane
2011-06-15, 11:35 PM
Hey all,

There has been a few threads lately related to Arcane Channeling and similar abilities, so I thought I’d start a list and guide (with your help) to spell channelling (delivering a spell through a weapon) and similar abilities.

All feedback, corrections and suggestions welcome!

Cheers - T

Thurbane
2011-06-15, 11:39 PM
Classes:

Duskblade 3/13 (Acrane Channeling/Arcane Channelling [full attack])
Enlightened Fist 7 (Hold Ray – converts a ray spell to a touch spell, which can then be channelled)
Ordained Champion 3 (Channel Spell)
Spellsword 4/10 (Channel Spell/Multiple Channel Spell)
Havoc Mage 1/3/5 (Battlecast 2nd/4th/8th) (cast a spell and attack as a full attack action, no AoO)

Items:

Spell Storing (store 3rd level or lower targeted spell indefinitely, +1 bonus)
Bloodstone (like Spell Storing, but only Vampiric Touch – spell is automatically empowered, +1 bonus)

Feats:
Arcane Strike (convert arcane spells or spell slots into bonus to hit and extra dice of damage)
Smiting Spell (+1 metamagic, spell dissipates after 1 minute)

Duskblade Touch Attacking Spells:
Touch of Fatigue
Chill Touch
Shocking Grasp
Dimension Hop
Ghoul Touch
Touch of Idiocy
Dispelling Touch
Vampiric touch

Essence_of_War
2011-06-16, 12:11 AM
The Jade Phoenix Mage class ability "Arcane Wrath" (ToB pg. 115)

As a swift action, trade a spell slot to gain +4 attack bonus, and 1d10 damage per level of spell slot you spent. Lasts until discharged or till the beginning of your next turn.

Essence_of_War
2011-06-18, 05:27 PM
I think that the spellsword is actually 5/10 casting.

There are a few psionic options also:
Deep Crystal - Material (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm) and Power Storing Weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm) although the latter is MUCH weaker than the spell equivalent.

Edit:

Thought of one more thing, I know it is homebrew, but Endaire has a really good adaptation of the JPM for psionics here. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7686.0) It re-fluffs Arcane Wrath as Psionic Aggression and I think it may be worth mentioning for people who are looking for a psionics/ToB channeling option.

Thurbane
2011-06-18, 09:14 PM
I think that the spellsword is actually 5/10 casting.
The 4/10 denotes the levels it get the abilities in parentheses.

dextercorvia
2011-06-18, 10:30 PM
It's fairly remedial, but don't forget to mention that any touch spell can be delivered with an UAS or Natural Weapon. There is some debate whether you can do so the round that it is cast or not, but the option is there.

Elric VIII
2011-06-18, 10:51 PM
It's fairly remedial, but don't forget to mention that any touch spell can be delivered with an UAS or Natural Weapon. There is some debate whether you can do so the round that it is cast or not, but the option is there.

Complete Arcane says that if you have IUS that you may substitute a normal unarmed attack for your free touch attack when casting a touch spell. I don't know if the same is true for natural attacks or characters without IUS.

dextercorvia
2011-06-18, 10:58 PM
Ironically, it doesn't state that the attack has to be unarmed. So if you have IUS, you ought to be able to deliver it with a natural attack.

Edit: nevermind, next time I will read the first sentence. thing at all.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-18, 10:59 PM
It's fairly easy to add spells to the duskblade list. Wyrm Wizard, for example, or using duskblade as a three-level dip and going into something else. Also note that Arcane Channeling doesn't require arcane spells, so you can use something like Duskblade 6 or Duskblade 3/[Spellthief or Rogue] 3 to get into Ur-Priest, then channel divine spells like the inflict series, harm, temporal stasis, and bestow curse.

Essence_of_War
2011-06-19, 07:16 AM
The 4/10 denotes the levels it get the abilities in parentheses.

Ah! That explains why the rest of the numbers look bizarre also :smallredface: