PDA

View Full Version : a restricted ubercharger

big teej
2011-06-15, 11:48 PM
gods help us all, I'm asking for build advice

greetings playgrounders, often I have read of these "uberchargers" capable of doing something in the realm of 6,000 - X damage (where X is "whatever it takes")

I also see that almost(?) all of these builds revolve around 2 feat/abilities

Pounce, and shock trooper.

I'm gonna be up front at this point and tell you shock trooper is out and I dunno if I can get pounce.

so, what I'm here for is help building an uber charger with the resources at hand.

before I list these sources, I would like to emphasize something and make it absolutly clear: the following list is all you have to work with, no Dragon Magazine, No homebrew, no online stuff etc.

sources
PHB I and II
DMG I and II
MM I, II, and III
Races of Stone
Arms and Equipment Guide
BOVD
BOED
Masters of the Wild
Sword and Fist
Tome and Blood
Song and Silence
Defender's of the Faith
Enemies and Allies
Cityscape
Unearthed Arcana
Magic of Incarnum
Psionics Handbook
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Oriental Adventures
Deities and Demigods

notes: we use an amlaglam of 3.0 and 3.5 psionics, + psionics is almost entirely banned by my current DM. so staying out of psychic stuff would be best.

if any more information is required, let me know.

thanks in advance, and good luck.

Zaq
2011-06-16, 12:38 AM
Well, just with the PHB alone, mounted charging is pretty effective. Mount + two-handed lance (you CAN one-hand it while mounted, but I don't believe you HAVE to) + Spirited Charge = 4x returns on your PA, if memory serves. 'Tis a good start, at least. If you can find a way of making that into a touch attack, so much the better. I forget which book Ice Lance is in, but I know it's in the Spell Compendium . . . Wraithstrike is Complete Adventurer, if memory serves, but I don't remember if it's in one of those 3.0 books as well.

Zaydos
2011-06-16, 12:41 AM
Wraithstrike is in the Spell Compendium and it might be in one of the 3.0 books (I'd check Song and Silence and Tome and Blood).

The other things I've seen are from the Unapproachable East so not much of a help, meaning your biggest option is just to go mounted for the x4 Spirited Charge.

big teej
2011-06-16, 12:56 AM
Wraithstrike is in the Spell Compendium and it might be in one of the 3.0 books (I'd check Song and Silence and Tome and Blood).The other things I've seen are from the Unapproachable East so not much of a help, meaning your biggest option is just to go mounted for the x4 Spirited Charge.

I knew I'd forgotten a book :smalltongue:

-edited it into the list-

anywho, it seems like my best option is mounted charging, a tad less on the ridiculous side than I was aiming for, but oh well. :smallsmile:

Hirax
2011-06-16, 01:28 AM
Power lunge from sword and fist might be worth your consideration if you can extend your reach, which would help you ignore the AoO it would otherwise generate. Based on the errata, my impression is that you get strength mod*2 to damage, regardless of whether you're using a 1 or 2 handed weapon.

Optimator
2011-06-16, 01:52 AM
Charging Smite Paladin with Leap Attack and Rhino's Rush?

big teej
2011-06-16, 06:38 AM
what book is leap attack out of? I can't recall seeing it in any of my books.

furthermore, would power lunge stack with the 2x str mod for having a 2 hander?

Runestar
2011-06-16, 07:28 AM
I think it will be easier if you can tell us what your DM will let you get away with.
We can help you come up with a build that one-shots the tarrasque, but that won't count for anything if your DM doesn't let in slide in his games. :smallamused:

big teej
2011-06-16, 08:07 AM
I think it will be easier if you can tell us what your DM will let you get away with.
We can help you come up with a build that one-shots the tarrasque, but that won't count for anything if your DM doesn't let in slide in his games. :smallamused:

I want the playground to push the given source list to the furthest extent of its capabilities.

and then I want something that doesn't reek of cheese.

if I could accomplish both in the same build, that would be awesomesauce.

I had this wonderful mental image
the party is losing, the DM is worried about a TPK, and we've only dealt 25 points of damage to the baddy.

"I throw down my shield and take my lance in both hands..."
-charges-
-instagibs baddie-
"I retrieve my shield."

:smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2011-06-16, 09:33 AM
You can get ridiculously high claw or unarmed damage just by stacking size modifiers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777). Use Hustle or Travel Devotion or some other form of free movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) to get around the battlefield, and you still get a full attack for ridiculous damage every round.

Evil Incarnates can generally get fairly high damage (community.wizards.com/go/.../Incarnate_by_the_numbers), and share most of it with his Evil friends.

You can multiply damage with critical hits, Rhino's Rush (Spell Compendium), lance, and a bunch of stuff in books you're not allowing.

You can also just get a ton of attacks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595). For example the Totemist has an easy time getter 8+ attacks that deal good damage.

herrhauptmann
2011-06-16, 10:56 AM
what book is leap attack out of? I can't recall seeing it in any of my books.

Leap attack is in Complete adventurer pg 110.
Pounce, easiest version requires use of Complete Champion for Spirit Lion totem barbarian. There's also Psionic lions charge from EPH.

If you're going to do mounted charger, why not play as a tauric creature?
In a few spots, such as the Inevitable in MM1, it states that a tauric creature can qualify for feats as if it had Mounted Combat. Now that opens up your entire mounted combat feat tree, even if you can't do the 'negate a hit with a ride check.'
Most DM's won't let you use Leap Attack and mounted charging if your character and mount are separate creatures. Which is also how I interpret the rules, and I bet yours will as well.
BUT! If you play as a tauric creature (I recommend Bariaur), you ARE your mount, so you can combine both builds. Also, as a bariaur you'll be Medium size, so you can get around in tight spaces better than the human on his horse. Furthermore, there's places where the mounted charger would be expected to not only be unmounted, but be away from his mount (addressing the king in court, or in a bar to name two), but you'll always be mounted. All you need at that point is room to maneuver.

When you say "No online stuff" does that include web enhancements and errata that WotC released online only?

big teej
2011-06-16, 11:45 AM
Leap attack is in Complete adventurer pg 110.
Pounce, easiest version requires use of Complete Champion for Spirit Lion totem barbarian. There's also Psionic lions charge from EPH.

If you're going to do mounted charger, why not play as a tauric creature?
In a few spots, such as the Inevitable in MM1, it states that a tauric creature can qualify for feats as if it had Mounted Combat. Now that opens up your entire mounted combat feat tree, even if you can't do the 'negate a hit with a ride check.'
Most DM's won't let you use Leap Attack and mounted charging if your character and mount are separate creatures. Which is also how I interpret the rules, and I bet yours will as well.
BUT! If you play as a tauric creature (I recommend Bariaur), you ARE your mount, so you can combine both builds. Also, as a bariaur you'll be Medium size, so you can get around in tight spaces better than the human on his horse. Furthermore, there's places where the mounted charger would be expected to not only be unmounted, but be away from his mount (addressing the king in court, or in a bar to name two), but you'll always be mounted. All you need at that point is room to maneuver.

When you say "No online stuff" does that include web enhancements and errata that WotC released online only?

RE: sources - well, lucky for me, the completes are next on my "want" list.

RE: tauric creature - wouldn't all of those have massive LA and RHD stuff? my two/three groups only JUST allowed LA+1 :smalltongue:

RE: - online stuff - correct. if it does not exist in hardcopy within my personal library, it's off the table.

Urpriest
2011-06-16, 01:20 PM
RE: tauric creature - wouldn't all of those have massive LA and RHD stuff? my two/three groups only JUST allowed LA+1 :smalltongue:

Then you're in luck, as Bariaur comes in at LA +1 exactly. They're basically goat-centaurs from Valhalla.

Edit: However, you lack the planar books from either edition, which saddens me. Surely your DM must have one or the other?

big teej
2011-06-16, 02:05 PM
Then you're in luck, as Bariaur comes in at LA +1 exactly. They're basically goat-centaurs from Valhalla.

Edit: However, you lack the planar books from either edition, which saddens me. Surely your DM must have one or the other?

thus far, in all my groups, I am the main DM, and even when I'm not, I have the largest 3.x library of anyone else I know.

soooo

it's a work in progress.
I'm assuming that means the Bariaur isn't in something I have already?

Urpriest
2011-06-16, 02:15 PM
thus far, in all my groups, I am the main DM, and even when I'm not, I have the largest 3.x library of anyone else I know.

soooo

it's a work in progress.
I'm assuming that means the Bariaur isn't in something I have already?

Actually, there's one in BOED, but it's got 3 RHD and +2 LA. You could argue that the Planar Handbook one is errata? :smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2011-06-16, 02:44 PM

Yup, Manual of the Planes version is just LA+1. But you'll have to doublecheck the 3.5 errata to make sure nothing has changed. I don't think anything important changed, but still, it's "online stuff" :smalltongue: (The BoED version has higher stats, but also all that RHD and LA)

I did have a small thread going a while back regarding the viability of different taurics. It nowhere near covers teh whole spectrum though. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141576 I remember someone telling me about an elf/deer tauric template that was great for a dex based character.

Hirax
2011-06-16, 05:18 PM

Here is my understanding of power lunge.

If you wield a 1 handed weapon, this is your damage output, X being weapon damage (dice+enhancement), and Y being strength mod.

X+Y

With a 2 handed weapon

X+Y*1.5

With power lunge, regardless of whether you're using 1 or 2 hands

X+Y*2

Greenish
2011-06-16, 08:31 PM
Singh Rager from Oriental Adventures gets pounce, though only at ECL 11. Pretty neat PrC, all in all.