PDA

View Full Version : Dread Necromancer Help please

TechnOkami
2011-06-16, 02:01 AM
So, I'm making a Dread Necromancer Walker in the Waste for a game I'm part of. What are the best necromantic spells to get with advanced learning?

_felagund
2011-06-16, 02:19 AM
So, I'm making a Dread Necromancer Walker in the Waste for a game I'm part of. What are the best necromantic spells to get with advanced learning?

my favorite necromancy spells...

Ray of Enfeeblement
Ray of Exhaustion
Blindness/Deafness
Vampiric Touch
Bestow Curse
Enervation
False Life
Fear
Chill Touch (if considering melee)
Animate Dead
Control Undead (for undead campaigns)
Finger of Death
Magic Jar
Undeath to Death
Wail of the Banshee

Hazzardevil
2011-06-16, 02:19 AM
If your a minoinmancer then I reccomend taking Desecrate so that you can animate up to twice as many undead.

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-16, 02:45 AM
A particular favorite spell of mine, Escalating Enfeeblement from Complete Mage, which can change the -3 penalty from Ray of Enfeeblement to as much as a -15 penalty to Str (1d10+1/2 levels, max +5)

Other than that, there's an amusing spell in the Spell Compendium called bonefiddle, which is an oddity, as most necromancy spells don't actually deal damage. (The inflict spell line being an obvious exception, but as they are only one spell/level, it's still not even close to half of necromancy spells).

Bonefiddle allows you to actually play the target's ribcage like a fiddle and deal damage with a duration of Concentration, and provides some much needed range options for the Dread Necro, as most of her spells are touch spells.

TechnOkami
2011-06-16, 04:07 AM
A particular favorite spell of mine, Escalating Enfeeblement from Complete Mage, which can change the -3 penalty from Ray of Enfeeblement to as much as a -15 penalty to Str (1d10+1/2 levels, max +5)

Other than that, there's an amusing spell in the Spell Compendium called bonefiddle, which is an oddity, as most necromancy spells don't actually deal damage. (The inflict spell line being an obvious exception, but as they are only one spell/level, it's still not even close to half of necromancy spells).

Bonefiddle allows you to actually play the target's ribcage like a fiddle and deal damage with a duration of Concentration, and provides some much needed range options for the Dread Necro, as most of her spells are touch spells.

Bonefiddle Sounds Hularious! I might just have to get that...

Coidzor
2011-06-18, 01:22 PM
If your a minoinmancer then I reccomend taking Desecrate so that you can animate up to twice as many undead.

There's also rings of desecrate on the WOTC site as an alternative.

Halae
2011-06-18, 01:43 PM
There's also rings of desecrate on the WOTC site as an alternative.

Would you be able to link that? I need these for my own dread necro - and he' in a party with an artificer so, pretty damn good.

Undercroft
2011-06-18, 01:58 PM
This link should also have a bunch of info to help with all sorts of DNing funtimes.
http://community.wizards.com/bleak_academy/wiki/Dread_Necromancer%27s_Handbook

Darth Stabber
2011-06-18, 02:00 PM
For second level I reccomend Kelgore's Gravemist (PHB2). Creates an area that deals cold damage, and forces a fortitude save vs. Fatigue. SR only applies to the fatigue, not the damage, and the damage has no save. Great at low levels when you can use skeletons to keep stuff in the area.

Fourth level is a tough call, but the best pick in a vacuum is Shivering Touch(frostburn) while it may only be third level, not fourth, it is a really good way to off stuff, and has no save (though SR applies). Undead liutenant(Spell Compendium) gives you an increase to the number of undead you can control, which isn't too bad. If you don't mind more evil descripter on your spell list, Stop Heart(BoVD) is a good fort save or die (well it drops target to -8 and bleeding out). Wrack(BoVD) also carries the evil descripter, and is a nice save or lose. Crown of the Grave(phb2) gives you the ability to boss undead enemies around, and you can discharge it for a +4 bonus to a rebuke check.

6th offers you the ever fun Awaken Undead(Savage Species), which makes your skeletons and zombies intelligent and gives them skills and feats.