PDA

View Full Version : [4e DnD] Planeswalker Epic Destiny [PEACH]

raisethearmy
2011-06-16, 05:40 AM
I am planning on doing a campaign involving Planeswalkers from Magic the Gathering soon, and needed an epic destiny. The problem is that I have no idea if it is under or over-powered. I also need to add a few things.

Planeswalker Epic Destiny

Prerequisite: 21st level, any arcane, primal, psionic, shadow, or divine class.

Planeswalkers are incredible powerful magic users that wander the planes of the multiverse. They lead vast armies, and take place in world changing events. They often act as leaders in the planes the dwell on. To become a Planeswalker, some event has to activate the Planeswalker spark in the person, similar to becoming a demi-god. Planeswalkers can give up their spark to perform one amazing feat of magic.

Immortality: Once a Planeswalker achieves a truly epic feat, they become immune to the effects of age and time. From then on they wander the multiverse until they use their Planeswalker spark to fuel some extraordinary feat of magic.

Planeswalker Features:

Mana Specialization (21st level): Pick either red Planeswalker, blue Planeswalker, green Planeswalker, white Planeswalker, or black Planeswalker. Red Planeswalkers get a +2 attack bonus to powers with the Fire keyword. Blue Planeswalkers get a +2 attack bonus to powers with the Psychic keyword. Green Planeswalkers get a +2 attack bonus to powers with the Force keywords. White Planeswalkers get a +2 attack bonus to powers with the Radiant keywords. Black Planeswalkers get a +2 attack bonus to powers with the Necrotic keyword.

Walker of the Multiverse (21st level): Planeswalkers can learn and cast the Planer Portal ritual without paying the component cost. In addition, they know the most common language of every plane.

Lord of the Multiverse (24th level): Once per day when a Planeswalker dies, they may return to life with full hit points and all of their equipment in a place they consider their base of operations. If the Plansewalker chooses to do this, then their body and equipment disappears from where they were killed.

Master of the Multiverse: (30th level): Whenever a Planeswalker casts a at-will spell, they gain 5 hit points (cannot go beyond max hp) and they regain a previously cast encounter power, and when they cast an encounter power they regain the use of a previously cast daily power

Level 26 Utility Powers:
Choose an ability you meet the prerequisites for.

Armor of the Inferno Planeswalker Utility 26
Flames leap up and surround you, burning any enemy that dares attack you.
Daily
Minor Action Personal
Prerequisites: You must be a red Planeswalker.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, whenever an enemy attacks you in melee it takes 20 fire damage

Time Freeze Planeswalker Utility 26
With an extension of your will, you can freeze the area around you in time for short amounts of time.
Daily
Minor Action Global
Prerequisites: You must be a blue Planeswalker.
Effect: The area in the burst is frozen in time, allowing you to take an extra turn.

Giant Growth Planeswalker Utility 26
You take the form of a massive giant.
Daily
Minor Action Personal
Prerequisites: You must be a green Planeswalker.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter you grow one size category larger. In this form your melee reach increases by one, you get a +3 bonus to strength and constitution, and you add 10 ft to your movement speed.

Angel of Mercy Planeswalker Utility 26
You take on an angelic form just long enough to spread a healing light.
Daily
Minor Action Close Burst 10
Prerequisites: You must be a white Planeswalker.
Target: You and all allies in burst
Effects: Each target gains hit points equal to half their bloodied value.

Dark Return Planeswalker Utility 26
You use dark magic to summon an undead fiend.
Daily
Minor Action Close Burst 10
Prerequisites: You must be a black Planeswalker
Target: One corpse in burst
The target corpse is resurrected as an undead of 20th level or lower with the minion keyword of your choice. This undead listens to your commands. At the end of the encounter, if it is still alive it disintegrates into dust.

Feats

Multi-Casting
Prerequisites: lvl 21, Planeswalker epic destiny
Benefit: You may gain the bonuses of the Mana Specialization feature for any type of Planeswalker in addition to the ones you already have.
Special: You may take this feat as many times as you like.

If anyone has any ideas for utility powers for epic destinies it would be greatly appreciated. Also, feel free to make any comments about any of the features.

firemagehao
2011-06-17, 05:51 PM
Immortality is broken, plain and simple.

I feel that Masters of the Universe could be so much cooler, possibly special powers to go along with their mana affiliation.

What about multi-colored plainswalkers?

wayfare
2011-06-17, 06:16 PM
I have not played any magic since 2008 or so, but I thought planeswalkers were VERY mortal. Further, I thought the current batch of planeswalkers were supposed to be way weaker than the originals...maybe something where you can Die once per day w/o penalty?

raisethearmy
2011-06-17, 10:47 PM
Oh, sorry. The immortality thing is for after the character completes the final quest in a campaign (I'll add some fluff in that specifies that). I like the idea of once a day no penalty death though, and I will put in some feats or something for adding colors later.

dradio1
2011-06-18, 12:44 AM
I may need to talk to my DM about bringing this in, it fits my character.
Maybe for daily utility Teleport any creature within range to any other square within range. Not sure about distance though.

vasharanpaladin
2011-06-18, 01:51 PM
Immortality is broken, plain and simple.

I feel that Masters of the Universe could be so much cooler, possibly special powers to go along with their mana affiliation.

What about multi-colored plainswalkers?

Welcome to 4e. Everyone gets immortality when they hit 21st level. :smallcool:

On that note, this seems to be missing a u26?

raisethearmy
2011-06-18, 02:32 PM
I need ideas for utility powers (I want to have one for each color).

Shadow_Elf
2011-06-18, 02:48 PM
The level 21 and 30 features are out of line, I think, and the level 24 feature is too vague and its value is hard to gauge.

A) +5 permanent bonus to attack rolls of any nature is too big. +1 is more reasonable, and throw in a damage bonus. Or you could give them a more specialized bonus that simple numerics; perhaps bonuses related to colour to help with surviving on other planes?
B) Specify that they also learn and can cast Planar Portal, or else the second one is no help at all.
C) Level 30 feature is way too great, and also kinda lame. +2 to everything makes a pretty big numerical impact, and is really unflavourful. Consider revising to make it work off of colour choice and give a cooler, less powerful & generic benefit.

Perhaps, with their level 24 feature (and a little more specifics on how that feature works instead of just "ask your DM"), they can, once per day, respawn in their Home Plane when they die?

As for a power, I would at least recommend that you make it related to their colour choice.

raisethearmy
2011-06-18, 04:43 PM
Your right, +5 is way too large of a bonus. I like your idea for coming back once per day. I might expand it to anywhere they have a lair of some sort though. Also, the Master of the Multiverse feature will be improved upon, it was the one I had the most trouble with.

Ceiling009
2011-06-19, 01:31 AM
Level 21 feature should be boosted to up to +2 at the least. +5 is too much, but it's already based in keywords on powers, so it's both easy and a pain to get dependent on how your powers turned out. A measly +1 at Epic isn't very epic. There are already lower level feats that do the same or better. You could add something about criting with those keywords too. If this is mostly for casters, keyword issues are more apparent.

Level 30 feature is alright, but apart from a numbers boost, it doesn't do much. You're already giving numbers boosts from your level 21 feature, you might want to just rev it completely, as it's a level 30 feature. This is end game. At this level, the designers expect and the campaign are on it's ending climatic battles. Pretty, much you retire the characters to mythdom, or godhood, or whatever after this level. Give it something with a bit more flare. What else can Planeswalkers do?

Shadow_Elf
2011-06-19, 01:38 AM
When I said drop it to a +1 bonus, I didn't mean that a +1 by itself was enough for the whole feature; just that any more than +1 for that specific bonus was too much. You could additionally include a damage bonus of +4 or so to the Mana-aspected damages, or like I suggested, you could provide a more flavourful bonus that is not just numeric. And I do still think that the level 30 feature is too bland, and possibly too good.

raisethearmy
2011-06-19, 08:49 AM
Yes, I know that the level 30 feature is bad, I'm going to replace it. What if I were to add the second part of the level 30 feature to the mana specialization feature, and do something involving the regaining of daily or encounter spells for the level 30 feature.

One last question is what should I do with the artifact mana type? I was thinking some sort of bonus for artificers but I'd love to see what everyone else thinks.

raisethearmy
2011-06-20, 01:19 PM
Updated the level 30 feature and added the first drafts of utility powers. I will work on the Mana Specialization feature later.

firemagehao
2011-06-23, 02:16 PM
Welcome to 4e. Everyone gets immortality when they hit 21st level. :smallcool:

On that note, this seems to be missing a u26?
*Checks PHB* Oh... that kind of immortality

as to artifact mana type: colorless is not a color (the 20+page rule document says so). Why include it at all?

To me, the green and white powers at 26th level seem really week compared to the others (+2 to two stats vs 20th level minion). for example, a size increase of sorts seems green to me, and white could heal more.

raisethearmy
2011-06-27, 08:30 AM
Ok added in something for size changes in the green power, improved the healing power, and added in a multi color feat. For clarification, with that feat you can take the same color more than once.