PDA

View Full Version : Core-Only Pathfinder Wizard Specialization help

CapnWuWei
2011-06-16, 07:45 AM
Hi all,
This is my first post, so I apologize if it's not formatted/stated/eloquated properly:
Background for Character
I'm building a casting-focused Arcane Archer for a Pathfinder campaign. I'd like my spells to be utility/battlefield control with wizard-spell-list-only buffs/debuffs (there are two clerics in the party already, so the multi-class buff spells aren't a priority). The DM says I'll be starting at level 7, so right now my character is Ranger1/Wizard5/AA1. I'll only 2 level dip into AA, then finish out as either straight wizard with maybe some Eldritch Knight levels mixed in.
Question
With the PF change that banned schools aren't quite "banned," I'm trying to specialize for once. I'm strongly headed towards Divination (great arcane school powers. Given that I'm using the core book only, what do you suggest for my banned schools?

*(not optimal, I know, but I'm trying to keep the flavor of the character concept, without being completely useless)

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-16, 08:16 AM
I would go with Divination, and ban (oppose?) Evocation and either Enchantment or Necromancy, whichever you think you'll be using less often. The Divination school powers are fantastic, and only get better the more Wizard levels you have.

Though, do you qualify for Arcane Archer at level seven, with the build presented? I don't think you have sufficient BAB - AA requires +6.

And by Core only, do you mean Core Rulebook only, or is PFSRD (www.d20pfsrd.com) material allowed?

DiBastet
2011-06-16, 08:21 AM
Divination. Really. The powers are good and in any case it fits the theme of the zen archery and mind eye thing.

Edit: Swordsage'd

CapnWuWei
2011-06-16, 08:44 AM
Though, do you qualify for Arcane Archer at level seven, with the build presented? I don't think you have sufficient BAB - AA requires +6.
Ooh- good eye. I'll continue in Wizard (or maybe EK instead) for this level.

And by Core only, do you mean Core Rulebook only, or is PFSRD material allowed?
Just the core rulebook. The DM's going for simplicity, which is simultaneously easier and harder.