PDA

View Full Version : Character Concepts!

Titanium Fox
2011-06-16, 08:31 AM
So, I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a topic for it. Just a place to post your general character concepts. Any system, it doesn't matter. Anything from Class Breakdown to Fluff and Backstory, statement of purpose, or hell, talk a little about why you like the idea or where the idea came from. A place to share your ideas with the other playgrounders, and to show off the really cool ones you come up with.

I guess I'll lead it off.

D&D 3.5 - Chaotic Good Elven Duskblade 13 / Ur-Priest 2 / Mystic Theurge 5
The part about this character that I really like is the fact that I have successfully fluffed a Chaotic Good Ur-Priest. Whatever campaign I am in, he is an elf that has been trained as a duskblade by those before him. However, in said campaign, there will be some massive threat that looms over the entire world. He will set off, at the naysay of his mentors and elders, who claim that he is endangering the clan by leaving; and attempt to take on the threat that faces the world head on.

Upon reaching the OOC requirements for Ur-Priest, his logic will essentially be "...I need more power than I can gain myself to thwart this." He will look to the Gods, who forsake those with the arcane powers he weilds, and before slipping into trance for the first time to attempt to steal their powers, comit himself by stating "I need this power for a worthy cause, yet the Gods do not offer their divine favor to those who do not grovel at their feet; restrict themselves by the morals that they hold, and the path that they walk. I refuse to do so. These nuances and petty customs stand in the way of the quickest path to the power that this world so desperately needs. Options come off of the table, more people die, more people will needlessly suffer at the cruelty of those who fancy themselvs divine. I will take what I need, and there is nothing that can be done to stop me."

I'm debating playing with this build on a mechanical level too, changing a few things around; mainly replacing Mystic Theurge for something else. Also, the Chaotic Good aspect has been cleared by the DM for said campaign.

D&D 3.5 - Lawful Good Dwarven Paladin 1 / Knight 19
This concept isn't quite as fleshed out as the last. He is a Dwarven citizen of whatever large dwarf city the campaign setting has. He is born into a thickly devout family that worhsips Thor, and the conviction sticks with him. Upon coming of age, he attempts to join the ranks of the Paladins, but upon the end of his first tenday of training, he begins to feel restless. Code, honor, words to live by. They all resonate with him, all bring glory to Thor. But who is he to request a portion of Thor's power to do his will here on earth? If he were to be a worthy follower of his God, he would stand on his own personal strength and prove himself worthy in his God's eyes in the truest of fashions.

His departure from the ranks of the Paladins of Thor is not a plesant one. He is cast to the surface for his percieved transgressions. Following despite this hardship, attempting to forge a name for himself under the banner of Thor, he sets out on the surface as a claimed holy warrior, one tha does not rely on his diety, but serves them in the truest sense of the word. He makes it his mission to spread the word of Thor on the surface to a people who do not herald him as his people do.

He retains his Paladin abilities due to the fact that he only fell out of favor with the order of Paladins, not Thor himself.

Sir Swindle89
2011-06-16, 08:42 AM
Friend came up with this one for Rifts

A Steampunk Samuri Robot Couch that can fly

For those of you that don't know rifts, it's a perfectly viable in-universe concept and also how these threads get ruined

I also had a guy play Raptor Jesus in an Anthropomorphic game i ran

Nachtritter
2011-06-16, 09:04 AM

What.

What.

Titanium Fox
2011-06-16, 09:46 AM

Please, explain this to me. @_@

Sir Swindle89
2011-06-16, 09:57 AM
It's Rifts pretty much every thing is a vlaid in-universe concept. From Dragons to Glitter Boys and from Sasquatches to... that

Talya
2011-06-16, 10:46 AM
Glitter Boys

...are far more badass than they sound. It's an unfortunate name for a mech powersuit.

Pika...
2011-06-16, 10:52 AM
Cornelius Chris Hammer:
4th Level Gnome Bard

Notes:
1. Specializes in Perform: (Dance), with an equal amount of ranks in Perform: (Melody Maker)
2. His clothes are elaborate and scandalous, even by Gnome standards...
3. Fame/Reputation Rank of 20.

Cornelius Chris Hammer performing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnAFBj9ejE

Choco
2011-06-16, 11:05 AM
I've actually had the pleasure of playing some interesting ones:

Warforged Psion
I designed him to start out as a blank slate. No name, no morality, no personality, nothing. Then as the game progressed he would mentally "grow" based on his experiences. This didn't end up too well because the rest of the party consisted of:

1. A gay dwarf manwhore fighter with glammered pink armor that looked like a thong.
2. A (female) githzerai monk that collected the male sexual organs of her slain foes as trophies (and made a necklace out of them).
3. And our allegedly "good" leader, the half-elf ardent running away from a dark past who was prone to random acts of homicidal violence.

I had thought the group would be more serious than they were, but I played the character like I originally planned until he became a weird combination of those 3 (with his own added quirk of being a pyromaniac, which he picked up when he used a fire power and realized how effective and purdy it was) and unsurprisingly became more disruptive than any of the others. I then retired him for a shifter ranger....

Jaded Detective
Ah, good ol' Lina Towerman, how I miss her. She was a 35 year old, chain smoking, recovering alcoholic, now total workaholic private detective. After countless failed relationships and a generally crappy personal life she decided to stop drinking (mostly...) and fully throw herself into her work as a paranormal investigator tracking down undocumented and/or dangerous paranormal entities for a secret worldwide organization. She was quite jaded and was very heavy on the black humor. Nothing surprised or grossed her out anymore.

On the supernatural side, she was a powerful sorceress, but other than the ability to create and launch basic projectiles she didn't have any combat skills. She was an expert at doing everything that in some way creates you minions (summoning, making golems, making effigies, necromancy, etc.) and manipulating the human body (for good or ill). She tried to avoid personal combat because she was basically just a squishy human among more combat-oriented supernatural beings, but if worse came to worse her trump card was that she created a clone of herself that she is remotely controlling.

Summoning in this game could not be done in combat, but on the flipside was slightly more permanent. So when the party went out on a mission, she usually sent summoned/created minions with them for combat support and stayed behind at her office to support them from afar (using her pull/contacts in various organizations to get further backup or make them turn a blind eye, covering for the party when they doing something they shouldn't be doing, performing side investigations that may be useful, etc).

Sadly that game ended when we killed the BBEG a lot earlier then we should have...

Plus I don't get why this was moved to the D&D board, considering:

Just a place to post your general character concepts. Any system, it doesn't matter. Anything from Class Breakdown to Fluff and Backstory, statement of purpose, or hell, talk a little about why you like the idea or where the idea came from.

Emphasis mine.

Titanium Fox
2011-06-16, 11:07 AM
I was actually just questioning that myself...

SleepyShadow
2011-06-16, 01:13 PM
Let's see, I've got a few, so I'll break it down by game.

Call of Cthulhu: Zen Poi, A master martial artist. Mostly because CoC is such a detective/mystery style game, I'd love to break the mold and be a kung-fu genius.

Alternity: Lyrochar, A T'sa Diplomat who is obsessed with studying humans. He finds them utterly fascinating because of how often they kill each other.

D&D: Biorne, a Warforged Scout Ranger/Rogue who is a detective. Similar to Grissom from the original CSI, but with a 'little man complex'.

And, of course, Ryu, a blue-half dragon bard who plays like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhKJ9ig7I1c).

The Dark Fiddler
2011-06-16, 01:53 PM
Playing an awakened animal is practically a character and a half in itself.

I've had the idea of a Mutants and Masterminds character that channels spirits momentarily to gain powers. For example, channel a bull if you want a powerful charge, or channel a monkey when you need to balance. I can never quite think of enough spirits though :smallconfused:

averagejoe
2011-06-17, 12:23 PM
I have a few dozen concepts I've never gotten to try. Few of my friends ever GM.

In particular, I'd like to try a 3.5 skills guy who relies on trickery or carefully selected items instead of class power. Like a straight scout or an expert or something. Maybe dip swashbuckler for int to AC. Point is the actual chassis wouldn't be very strong. Just seems like an interesting challenge to me.

ImperatorK
2011-06-17, 12:37 PM
Maybe dip swashbuckler for int to AC.
Int to AC?:smallconfused:
Don't you mean Int to dmg?

averagejoe
2011-06-17, 01:16 PM
Int to AC?:smallconfused:
Don't you mean Int to dmg?

Actually I meant duelist and not swashbuckler. >.> This guy probably wouldn't be making a lot of attacks, except with tanglefoot bags and so on.

Choco
2011-06-17, 02:04 PM
In particular, I'd like to try a 3.5 skills guy who relies on trickery or carefully selected items instead of class power. ... Point is the actual chassis wouldn't be very strong. Just seems like an interesting challenge to me.

That sounds fun. I've been able to successfully do this in modern/future based games (where skills > combat prowess if you know how to use them right (and how to avoid combat)), but that would be quite a challenge in 3.5. I'd be interested to see how you pull that off and how it works out in the long run. Unless you talking about skills like Diplomacy and Intimidate, cause we all know how powerful and easy to cheese those are... :smallwink:

averagejoe
2011-06-17, 08:05 PM
That sounds fun. I've been able to successfully do this in modern/future based games (where skills > combat prowess if you know how to use them right (and how to avoid combat)), but that would be quite a challenge in 3.5. I'd be interested to see how you pull that off and how it works out in the long run. Unless you talking about skills like Diplomacy and Intimidate, cause we all know how powerful and easy to cheese those are... :smallwink:

I'm honestly not sure I could pull it off. I mean, it's basically a build that depends on me as a player being really clever and on the ball, which is something I can't ever really guarantee. >.>

PersonMan
2011-06-18, 05:57 AM
I'm honestly not sure I could pull it off. I mean, it's basically a build that depends on me as a player being really clever and on the ball, which is something I can't ever really guarantee. >.>

It could work in a PbP, where "quick, on the ball thinking" can be "mull it over while eating dinner and another half hour afterwards".

Hatchet91
2011-06-20, 09:49 AM
One of my many char's is a Changling who has found his only way to live on the streets was Being quick witted, Charming, ruthless, and being Cruel when people get in the way of his plans.

this is a rogue who is working his way to becoming a disciple of Baalzebul

So far to his credit he has managed to sacrifice the captain of an air "boat" and when the guards arrived he convinced them that the people who were invading the ship were the ones who had sacrificed the captain. and that he had arrived too late to help (yay for super bluff skills it does help that the leader of the raider's weapon was sticking in the captains throat)

and since then takes every opertunity to catch those who attack him or the party and use them later for his own amusement.

his current goals are to amass as much power to himself as possible as well as potentialy start his own crime empire.

3 acts of sacrifice to his name as of now and not going to count acts of inflicting pain upon those he deems deserving.

this is the first campaign the group has played where we werent restricted by alignments which means we have

a human Necromancer (intent on creating an undead army to take over the world)

a changling psywarrior (intent on becoming a pyromancer who wants to burn whole world)

and a cleric ( who is on the path of becoming a master of shrouds, with the intent of running a smuggling operation)

i believe there is only 1 non chaotic evil member in the party.

Sorcerer Blob
2011-06-20, 09:58 AM
I spent way too much time creating a Warforged Druid in 3.X just because the idea of a robot-thing in tune with nature was insanely hilarious and oxymoronic to me. Way too much time.

Sadly, my DM at the time hated Warforged and I was never given the green-light (pun intended) to play him. That said, he loved the concept and almost broke his ban on Warforged just for hilarity's sake.

dsmiles
2011-06-20, 09:59 AM
It's Rifts pretty much every thing is a vlaid in-universe concept. From Dragons to Glitter Boys and from Sasquatches to... thatI actually played a Dragon in RIFTS. Great Horned variety; he was a necromancer-type.

EDIT: With shoulder-mounted gatling lasers. (Musn't forget that, it was an integral part of his concept.)

profitofrage
2011-06-20, 10:03 AM
I have a character that I use in alot of my Dark Heresy RPG's simply because I love the feel and look of the character.

Shes a cybernetically reconstructed Latent Psyker Sister of Battle.
A sister who developed psychic powers only to be judged a witch by her sisters in the only way youd expect...with fire. By the time she was rescued by the Inquisitor it was to late....but she was to valuable to him...he was to emotionally connected. With the help of her Tech Magos brother they had her rebuilt..made stronger...her faith greater then ever.
:P She rarely does anything at all during the campaigns till some epic moment (assuming she hasnt been killed off) where she can provide a heroic sacrifice for the PC's to go off saving the day :P

dethkruzer
2011-06-20, 03:12 PM
My turn to contribute:

The first case was in WHFRP, Where, I believe the character was a halfling. He was so short and SO fat that he was pretty much a waddling ball of blubber. He also liked to eat, a lot. Another member in the party was a scholar, and in a rather hilarious way, I came to check up on him, carrying with me the entire leg of a pig. I set said pig down on a nearby book, and when the character noticed his mistake, took the book in one hand, the pig in the other, and proceeded to like the fat (and ink) off the book. The GM describes, how apparently the text survived being liked, and transferred onto the characters tongue.

Then, one I actualy haven't gotten a chance to play: A cornugon Daeva/Nihilist/Warblade/Other junk who, simply put, believes is the anti-thesis of all creation, and seeks to undo it.