PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe, Challenge Rating needed.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-16, 08:57 AM
So I was making a Savannah type landscape and tossed in things like Lions, Wildebeest(Bison), Zebras (Horse), Gazelle(Pony with a secondary gore), Rhinos, Hippo (Rhino without a gore and a swim speed) but what I didn't have was a Giraffe. So like most people, I made one. TA-DA

Giraffe
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (33 hp)
Initiative +1
Speed 50ft (10 Squares)
Armor Class: 12 (-1 Size, +1 Dex, +2 Natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+12
Attack: Gore +7 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Gore +7 melee (1d6+3) and 2 hooves +2 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 10ft/5ft (10ft with gore)
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills: Jump +11, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Alertness, Iron Will
Environment: Warm Grasslands
Organization: Solitary, or Mated Pair
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 6-10HD (Large), 11-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: ----

As you can see all it's missing is the Challenge Rating. I think it might be CR 2, based on other creatures I've seen. Although the creature I stripped of Magic Power and called a Giraffe has a CR of 3, and it lost a lot of magic power. My other question once the CR is hammered out, how would you fit it in with Animal Companions, Wild Cohorts and what-not.

Debihuman
2011-06-16, 10:34 AM
I think the hooves should be the primary attack rather than the gore. They have powerful legs.

Organization should include herd or more properly a tower.

Otherwise, I think the CR 2 is fine.

Debby

Cieyrin
2011-06-16, 11:01 AM
I think the hooves should be the primary attack rather than the gore. They have powerful legs.

Organization should include herd or more properly a tower.

Otherwise, I think the CR 2 is fine.

Debby

I would agree on switching the two natural attacks, even to the removal of the gore, as giraffes don't properly gore like most things would, as that would probably cause them undo damage to their necks. Males swing their necks to bowl over other males for mating privileges, which tend to be nonlethal in any case.

As for where they fall in the animal companion list, I agree on making them CR 2, which firmly puts them on the 4th level Druid list (7th level for Wild Cohort), which puts them in company of Bison and Boar, which seems like a good comparison.

Zeta Kai
2011-06-16, 01:07 PM
I third the assessment that this a CR2 monster. It's not a pushover, but an ECL2 party should be able to put one down without too many troubles.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-17, 08:27 AM
I put gore as the primary mostly because of how I thought a Giraffe would fight outside of a standard survival situation with intelligence. It's legs may be strong but they are also spindly as well. And to attack with legs would leave it to a certain level off balance. I thought about changing the gore to a slam as well, as Males do fight using their necks, but the way they swing their head in some cases it seems that the horns they have (More like blunt knobs) pointing towards the target. Also does anyone know how this would be anthropomorphized? As per Savage Species rules?

Solaris
2011-06-17, 08:42 AM
I put gore as the primary mostly because of how I thought a Giraffe would fight outside of a standard survival situation with intelligence. It's legs may be strong but they are also spindly as well. And to attack with legs would leave it to a certain level off balance. I thought about changing the gore to a slam as well, as Males do fight using their necks, but the way they swing their head in some cases it seems that the horns they have (More like blunt knobs) pointing towards the target. Also does anyone know how this would be anthropomorphized? As per Savage Species rules?

Apparently, they defend themselves with a kick from their back legs. The headbutt thing is more for between giraffes than actual combat.

Nopraptor
2011-06-17, 09:07 AM
this may sound weird but you guys are all wrong... Giraffes fight with their necks, seriously. look it up on youtube. so I think that should be like a slam attack or something.

secondly, wildebeast arent like bisons, their more like horses with horns
I dont see how a pony relates to a gazzelle...
dont you think hippos should get a massive bite attack? they can, and have killed men with a single bite!

Cieyrin
2011-06-17, 02:46 PM
this may sound weird but you guys are all wrong... Giraffes fight with their necks, seriously. look it up on youtube. so I think that should be like a slam attack or something.

secondly, wildebeast arent like bisons, their more like horses with horns
I dont see how a pony relates to a gazzelle...
dont you think hippos should get a massive bite attack? they can, and have killed men with a single bite!

Hippos do have a massive bite. They're in Sandstorm and they seriously outclass crocodiles, no joke. One of these days I'll get around to rewriting the Scion of Tem-Et-Nu into the Hippo General, leading his flock of Commanded Hippos into battle for control of rivers everywhere! :smallamused:

DracoDei
2011-06-18, 12:34 AM
Check my giraffe-a-pump (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2618654#post2618654), minus the water jet and intelligence for my take on the matter.