PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Tank

Rosleaw
2011-06-16, 02:45 PM
Hi again :) I wanna make the stereothipical dawrf tank with axe, shield, beer drinking issues and hate for monstrous humanoid. I been reading the fighter and the darven defender, but i don't completly get my idea, i thought about a few levels of barbarian for the rage and stufs like that, any idea?

boj0
2011-06-16, 02:54 PM
Okay, I'm just going to get this out of the way:
1. Do you have access to Tome of Battle?
2. If you pick Fighter, after 2-4 levels, drop it like a bad habit
3. Tanking is a tough job in 3.5 if you're not a Knight and/or Crusader
4. Tripping is your friend if you want to have battlefield control
5. What is everyone else in your party playing?
6. What level are you playing at?

Rosleaw
2011-06-16, 03:02 PM
Sorry ofr the lack of information, i'm new on this requesting data.

I'll be starting on lvl 7 or 8
i think i can use tome of battle
i can use some crusader or knights lvls, if i know something about them :confused:
then i have a wizard a druid a snipper (something with really big crosbow) and a barbarian
and i'm not really fond by tripping, i used to have a monk that did that, and really enojy it, but it's not the idea now. I was thinking about a damage dealer tank (if that can exist)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-16, 03:08 PM
Alright, if you're playing a tanking fighter, the only way to stop your enemies from walking right past you (tumble, 5 ft. steps, not adjacent to you, etc.) is to carry a reach weapon with trip and have the improved trip and combat reflexes feats. And that still doesn't deal with those guys who use tumble and 5 ft. steps.

If you're playing a crusader, you don't have to be a tripper to tank, though you still need combat reflexes and probably a reach weapon. Get thicket of blades, it gives you the ability to AoO guys who tumble and withdraw and take 5 ft. steps. Iron guard's glare is also pretty much a necessity of tankers.

Edit: for the fighter, you can take stand still in place of improved trip, but it has the same problems.

Jude_H
2011-06-16, 03:11 PM
If you use Tome of Battle, a Warblade with a focus on Iron Heart and Stone Dragon would hit the concept straight-on.

If you don't have/aren't interested in ToB, the Deepwarden class (from Races of Stone or online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=4)) is pretty cool for Dwarves. Ranger 3/Barbarian 2/Deepwarden X is a pretty neat place to start.

Amphetryon
2011-06-16, 03:26 PM
With Player's Handbook II's Knight class, Tome of Battle and some Crusdader and Warblade levels, Deepstone Sentinel can do a good representation of the archetype you're after. On a Dwarf chassis, I might do something like Knight 5/Crusader 4/Warblade 6/Deepstone Sentinel 5 (it's only 5 levels long).

Does your group enforce XP penalties for uneven levels? It would influence how to put the above build together, and thus what to recommend for a 7th level start.