PDA

View Full Version : How to Bookmark the newest comic

hoff
2011-06-16, 03:27 PM
Hi I just want to share something that I just discovered today. The following link will take you straight to the newest comic:
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript
You can bookmark it in order to quickly check out if a new comic is out

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-16, 05:34 PM
The proper link is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootslatest.html.

That other one is a website relic that just happens to still work.

Funkyn
2011-06-16, 09:44 PM
Thanks, was just looking for a way to do this today.

weeping eagle
2011-06-16, 11:22 PM
You can also use the RSS feed.

You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

hoff
2011-06-17, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the tip KillianHawkeye
About rss feeds, they are evil. Once you have a rss reader set up suddenly your time on the internets skyrocket.

Ancalagon
2011-06-17, 10:41 AM
You do not have to subscribe to everything you find.

And OotS is safe to subscribe to. At the moment it's like one update per two weeks or something, that is hardly enough to swamp you. :smallamused:

Klear
2011-06-17, 11:18 AM
You can also use the RSS feed.

You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Ewwwwwwwwww!

Anyway, nice find. Bookmark'd!

cheesecake
2011-06-17, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the tip KillianHawkeye
About rss feeds, they are evil. Once you have a rss reader set up suddenly your time on the internets skyrocket.

I had to delete mine, I had over 150 feeds. It was a time waster!

I was reading a ton of webcomics, fail blogs, lolcat blogs...omg....I'd get to work in the morning, get a cup of coffee, check my feeds and I'd waste 2 hours before I knew. I had to get rid of it before I got fired!

Cizak
2011-06-17, 11:48 AM
I use www.giantitp.com.

MoonCat
2011-06-17, 11:49 AM
I use www.giantitp.com.

That takes you straight to the blog.

weeping eagle
2011-06-17, 01:23 PM
About rss feeds, they are evil. Once you have a rss reader set up suddenly your time on the internets skyrocket.I claim that each of us is predisposed to waste a certain amount of our time (though you can nudge this time in the "productive" direction), and thus the feeds are the symptom, not the cause.

hoff
2011-06-17, 03:07 PM
I claim that each of us is predisposed to waste a certain amount of our time (though you can nudge this time in the "productive" direction), and thus the feeds are the symptom, not the cause.

Well if that makes you feel better what can I do?

Zherog
2011-06-17, 03:30 PM

Yes, it takes you to the news page. And a quick glance at the left-hand sidebar tells you if there's a new comic or not.

weeping eagle
2011-06-17, 05:11 PM
Well if that makes you feel better what can I do?You could silently disagree perhaps, but you shouldn't attribute to feeling what comes from observation and analysis.

Cizak
2011-06-17, 05:33 PM

Huh?

It takes me to the homepage, where I can read the news and see if there's a new comic out.

MoonCat
2011-06-17, 08:50 PM
Yes, it takes you to the news page. And a quick glance at the left-hand sidebar tells you if there's a new comic or not.

But it doesn't take you there, and there's no point in asking for one that is one click away, for that just bookmark the forum link.

Huh?

It takes me to the homepage, where I can read the news and see if there's a new comic out.

Really? I thought people were asking for a link to the comic...

Cizak
2011-06-18, 07:34 AM
Really? I thought people were asking for a link to the comic...

If you don't get it, don't comment :smallsmile:

FujinAkari
2011-06-18, 08:12 PM
If you don't get it, don't comment :smallsmile:

SO.... let me get this straight...

The OP was asking (well, giving really) links that would take you to the latest comic... so you posted a link that gets me ONE CLICK AWAY from what I want and from what others had given me the link to? O.o

Tell you what, if I ever post how I want a microwave, don't post links to a stove :P

Bavarian itP
2011-06-19, 05:36 AM

The OP was asking (well, giving really) links that would take you to the latest comic... so you posted a link that gets me ONE CLICK AWAY from what I want and from what others had given me the link to? O.o

Tell you what, if I ever post how I want a microwave, don't post links to a stove :P

Why do you assume this thread is about what you want?

veti
2011-06-19, 07:06 AM

Why do you assume the thread is about anything at all?

Insofar as there was a question, it was answered in the second post. Everything since then is just graffiti.

FujinAkari
2011-06-19, 08:36 AM

Because of the Original Post:

Hi I just want to share something that I just discovered today. The following link will take you straight to the newest comic:

Jay R
2011-06-19, 09:02 AM
I claim that each of us is predisposed to waste a certain amount of our time (though you can nudge this time in the "productive" direction), and thus the feeds are the symptom, not the cause.

True as far as it goes. But you can also nudge this time in the non-productive direction, and that's what the feeds do. Therefore they are tools that tend to increase non-productive time.

Zherog
2011-06-20, 04:00 PM

Of course, constantly loading the comic just to see if it has been updated has the potential to waste a whole lot of the site's bandwidth (depending upon your cache settings and some other settings). Whereas loading the front page requires very little bandwidth in comparison.

*shrug*

WolfsQuill
2011-06-21, 03:06 PM
I just bookmarked the archive, and go there whenever I feel like checking on it. Since I generally check it on the same computer every time, this has the added bonus of showing the ones I've clicked on in tan and the ones I haven't in brown, so it's very easy to tell how many I've missed.

Of course, if I actually had the mental capacity to remember the numbers, this wouldn't even be a problem.

hoff
2011-06-21, 08:08 PM
I just posted this so people would know about this functionality. I by no means am stating that this is the best way to check oots.

Now please chill out, somehow in forums it's impossible to discern a joke from an insult.

Skavensrule
2011-06-21, 09:07 PM
I just bookmarked the archive, and go there whenever I feel like checking on it. Since I generally check it on the same computer every time, this has the added bonus of showing the ones I've clicked on in tan and the ones I haven't in brown, so it's very easy to tell how many I've missed.

Of course, if I actually had the mental capacity to remember the numbers, this wouldn't even be a problem.

Ditto here! I knew that it was possible to link to only the latest comic directly but since when I first started reading these I had it listed in my "check monthly" category of favorite comics I saved the archive page so that I could see which ones I missed. Now I check at least twice a week but I never changed the bookmark.