PDA

View Full Version : IC Real-World Religion in a Campaign Log?

Kuma Kode
2011-06-16, 03:37 PM
I was interested in starting a campaign log here, like several others have done.

However, it is a survival horror that takes place in France during the time of the Inquisition (d20 Past/Shadow Theory). Considering the time period, every character is a Catholic of varying levels and styles of faith, and the presence of Lovecraftian monsters and cults means that, in character, the religion does come up.

I am well aware that references to real-world religion are not acceptable, but might be in the context of in-character conversation. I didn't suspect admonitions of faith in the face of supernatural monsters and quick prayers for protection would cause a problem, but one of the scenes includes a discussion between the inquisitors and a cultist. It doesn't get heated or offensive, but it is a religious discussion, even if it's primarily focused on a fictional, evil cult.

Would a description of such a scene be acceptable, even if it includes religious language, if it's focused on understanding the cultist's motives? I would normally leave it out, but it's rather essential to understanding the cult.

I could give a brief synopsis, but it was one of our best role-played scenes so I would like to do a more in-character line-by-line if possible.

If it depends on the exact contents, is there a Mod who I could PM it to for an evaluation?

Douglas
2011-06-16, 04:56 PM
The important distinction where the forum rules are concerned is real world vs fictional. If it's reasonably clear that all the religion in question is a fictionalized in-the-game-world version despite being similar to a real world religion, I think you'd be ok. Maybe put a large bold text "these are the in character beliefs of fictional characters" disclaimer at the top of that section, or something?

Wait for a mod to render official judgment on the fine details, though.

Kuma Kode
2011-06-16, 05:11 PM
Maybe put a large bold text "these are the in character beliefs of fictional characters" disclaimer at the top of that section, or something? Thanks. I was going to do that anyway, regardless of whether or not a mod told me to, but it's good to hear someone else suggest that.

All of my players are non-religious or unaffiliated, so what is contained in the log really is strictly in-character beliefs.

Zherog
2011-06-16, 05:12 PM
This recent thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203192), especially Roland's post at the end, might give you some help.

Kuma Kode
2011-06-16, 05:24 PM
This recent thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203192), especially Roland's post at the end, might give you some help. That was actually one of the things that inspired me to ask.

Normally, I wouldn't be all that concerned except that one scene in particular involved what is essentially a religious discussion, so I wanted to clarify.

EDIT: This particular adventure is probably the most mature one we've done, dealing with depth and realism of the characters and some very emotional scenes, so I want to make sure that I can post the log for others to enjoy without disrespecting the forum.

Roland St. Jude
2011-06-16, 10:18 PM
Sheriff: My previous post, linked above, pretty much covers this. Discussion of a purely fictional version is fine. If it seems real world or provokes real world religious discussion, it's going to be a problem. When in doubt, leave it out.