PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Runner PrC?

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-16, 04:18 PM
I seem to recall a Freerunning based PrC, I think it was from Dragon, but I can't recall which one. I think it might be the perfect thing to fill out the rest of a build I'm working on, so does anyone remember where I can find it?

Jude_H
2011-06-16, 04:53 PM
I didn't read the magazine, but there's the elf Fleet Runner thing in Dragon Compendium. It might be what you're looking for: its prerequisites and a few of its abilities look like it's supposed to be geared toward this, but none of them do much, and the low skills probably will interfere with the concept.

The Thief Acrobat from Complete Adventurer or the web (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=3) has skills and abilities to match the idea; it might be a better fit.

The Blade Dancer and Ninja Spy from Oriental Adventures have some baggage, but get massive boosts to speed and mobility skills, which might also help.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-16, 04:56 PM
Well, as I remember, it gained Ex: Freedom of Movement and I think the ability to make standing jumps as running jumps and stuff like that.

And no, the Fleet Runner isn't what I'm looking for (at least, I don't think it is).

herrhauptmann
2011-06-16, 05:50 PM
I think races of stone has one for the goliaths.
Cragtop runner or something. Is that it?

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-16, 05:58 PM
I think races of stone has one for the goliaths.
Cragtop runner or something. Is that it?

I don't think so, but I'll check.

Edit: No, that's not it.

Hirax
2011-06-16, 06:04 PM
You mean peregrine runner? It is in RoS, and it isn't very good. I think you get a fast movement ability that explicitly stacks with fast movement from other classes, and immunity to tiring, but there are probably better ways to up your speed and remove the problems of fatigue.

gallagher
2011-06-16, 06:11 PM
this has me thinking, besides maxing out your jump, and being the only person who can charge in certain situations and get a swing in, are there any other ways to get the most out of your footspeed? i guess up the walls is a good feat, as you can take advantage of your speed and get into hard-to-reach places (both for spying and running away)

is there anything else that would, say, take advantage of a monk's increased speed?

Amphetryon
2011-06-16, 06:11 PM
Well, as I remember, it gained Ex: Freedom of Movement and I think the ability to make standing jumps as running jumps and stuff like that.

And no, the Fleet Runner isn't what I'm looking for (at least, I don't think it is).

I believe you, but Fleet Runner of Ehlonna does provide almost exactly those benefits, per my copy of the Dragon Compendium.

comicshorse
2011-06-16, 06:14 PM
ReachRunner from Races of Ebberron ?

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-16, 06:16 PM
You mean peregrine runner? It is in RoS, and it isn't very good. I think you get a fast movement ability that explicitly stacks with fast movement from other classes, and immunity to tiring, but there are probably better ways to up your speed and remove the problems of fatigue.

Yeah, like I said, that isn't it. There was once a thread called "Creating a Freerunner" but I can't seem to find it via the Search function, and I know the class I'm looking for is in there.

I believe you, but Fleet Runner of Ehlonna does provide almost exactly those benefits, per my copy of the Dragon Compendium.

Hmm, I'll have to get mine out then.

Edit: No, it's not what I'm looking for. The class I'm thinking of isn't a casting class.

Amphetryon
2011-06-16, 06:23 PM
Is this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104094) that thread?

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-16, 06:44 PM
I don't think so, for one I seem to recall posting to it, and I know the poster Crow definitely posted to it.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it may have been a homebrew class, though not the one posted in the thread in the link above.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-16, 10:20 PM
Ok, so I found the thread I was looking for here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170717) but unfortunately the poster presenting it was banned, and I thus cannot PM him to find out which edition of Dragon it's in.

The Runner-
Requires Tumble 8, Balance 8, Climb 8, Jump 8.
Also requires 2 of the following feats: Agile, Athletic, Lightning Reflexes, Acrobatic.
Requires the Evasion class feature.
-----------
BAB: 3/4
Good save: Reflexes
Hit dice: D8
------
1: +1 AC, Agility is Everything, Tumbling
2: Master of Heights, Urban Travel
3: Fast Movement, Improved Uncanny Dodge
4: There he goes, Untouchable
5: +2 ac, Improved Evasion, Parkour.
-----------
Agility is Everything: Runner can use DEX instead of STR as the key skill for all strength-based skills
Tumbling: Falling from any height is reduced by 10' per Runner level
Master of Heights: Add Runner level as an untyped bonus to Tumble, Balance, Climb and Jump. The Runner can always take 10 on those skills.
Urban Travel: The Runner can ignore any obstacle that can be beaten by a dc 10 Climb or Balance check (like gates, fences, rubble...) without any tests or consuming actions.
Fast Movement: At level 3 the Runner adds +10' to his movement. This bonus is untyped and increases by 10' per further Runner level (+20' at 4, +30' at 5)
Improved Uncanny Dodge: As rogue
There he goes: The runner ignores all difficult terrain penalties.
Untouchable: The runner adds his Runner level to resist Grapple and Trip checks.
Improved Evasion: As rogue
Parkour: As long as the runner has 2 free hands, he is under the effect of "Freedom of Movement" and "Spider Climb". He can also move his normal speed on any climb or balance checks, and tumbling does not consume extra movement. Jumping is always considered a running jump.

All abilities are Extraordinary, including the spell effects from the Parkour class feature.

Does this seem familiar to anyone?

herrhauptmann
2011-06-16, 10:33 PM
Doesn't seem familiar, at least not under that name.

I'm looking in my CK pdf's (from before the erasure), and I see Reachrunner (for shifters, RoE), and Wildrunner (elf/half elf, RotW). And of course, the already mentioned Peregrine Runner. All that's using the word 'Runner' for the key-search.
edit:
Also, he only says 'magazines' that doesn't guarantee it being in Dragon or Dungeon magazine.

Person_Man
2011-06-17, 09:39 AM
Come on, we can homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11227589) something much better then that:

The Runner

http://ology.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/post-image/logans-run-michael-yorke.jpg

"Run Runner!"

Requires: Jump 8 Ranks, base land speed of 40 ft or higher.

Hit Die: d8

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Class Skills: The runner's class skills are Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Architecture), Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, and Tumble.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The runner does not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiency.

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Fast Movement
1st | + 1 | + 2 | + 2 | + 0 | Run, Endurance, Quick Reactions | +10
2nd | + 2 | + 3 | + 3 | + 0 | Parkour | +20
3rd | + 3 | + 3 | + 3 | + 1 | Bonus Feat| +30
4th | + 4 | + 4 | + 4 | + 1 | Running Skills | +40
5th | + 5 | + 4 | + 4 | + 1 | Bonus Feat | +50
6th | + 6 | + 5 | + 5 | + 2 | Momentum | +60
7th | + 7 | + 5 | + 5 | + 2 | Bonus Feat | +70
8th | + 8 | + 6 | + 6 | + 2 | Tireless | +80
9th | + 9 | + 6 | + 6 | + 3 | Bonus Feat | +90
10th | + 10 | + 7 | + 7 | + 3 | Freedom of Movement | +100
[/table]

Class Features:

Bonus Feats: At 1st level the runner gains Run and Endurance as bonus feats, even if he otherwise does not qualify. If he already has either of these feats, he may choose any other feat from the list below in it's place.

At every odd runner level thereafter, the runner gains an additional bonus feat from the following list, even if he does not otherwise qualify for it (he is not required to take Dodge before taking Mobility or Shot on the Run, for example): Brachiation (Comp Adv), Combat Acrobat (PHBII), Cunning Sidestep (Draconomicon), Dash (Comp War), Dodge, Evasive Reflexes (ToB), Fleet of Foot (Comp War), Roofwalker (Races of Destiny), Mobility, Shot on the Run (Comp Adv), Sidestep (Miniatures Handbook), or Spring Attack.

Quick Reactions (Ex): The runner gains a bonus to his Initiative equal to his runner class level (max 10 at 10th level). This ability only function when the runner is wearing no armor or light armor, and is not encumbered.

Fast Movement (Ex): The runner gains a bonus to his base land speed equal to 10 times his runner class level (max 100 at 10th level). This bonus stacks with Fast Movement bonuses from all other sources. This ability only function when the runner is wearing no armor or light armor, and is not encumbered.

Parkour (Ex): The runner may move, run, or charge through difficult terrain of any type (undergrowth, stairs, rubble, caltrops, and even terrain created by magic or other effects) at his normal speed without taking damage or having his movement slowed or impaired in any way. His movement does not spring traps that he is aware of (though if he may still spring and suffer from traps he is not aware of). He does not take damage from falling any distance equal to his class level times 10 feet (the same as his Fast Movement bonus). The runner can move on walls and other surfaces as if he had the Up the Walls (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Up_the_Walls) feat, as if he is always psionically focused. In addition, he does not suffer any penalties for moving at full speed when using the Balance, Climb, Tumble Skills. The runner is still effected by magic or other effects that otherwise reduces movement without effecting the terrain, such as Solid Fog.

This ability only function when the runner is wearing no armor or light armor, and is not encumbered.

Evasive Skitter (Ex): The runner gains the Evasion ability. If he already has the Evasion ability, he instead gains Improved Evasion. In addition, whenever the runner successfully avoids all of the damage from an area of effect attack (such as a fireball or dragon's breath), as an Immediate action the runner may move to any unoccupied space of his choice which borders the outside of the area of effect. This ability only function when the runner is wearing no armor or light armor, and is not encumbered.

Momentum (Ex): The runner gains the Pounce ability. In addition, on the first melee attack roll of his turn the runner gains a Circumstance bonus equal to the number of feet he has moved since the beginning of that round divided by 25. (This includes any movement from Evasive Skitter, Evasive Reflexes, etc). For example, if the runner had Charged 100 feet to attack his target, he would gain a +4 Circumstance bonus to-hit on his first attack roll, and could then complete his full attack with his Pounce ability.

Tireless (Ex): The runner has run for so long that he never tires. He becomes immune to all Fatigue, Exhaustion, and Sleep effects. He no longer needs to sleep, although he must still rest/meditate if he wishes to regain spells, power points, etc. In addition, he has reached such perfect consistency in his Parkour Skills that he may Take 10 on all Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks, even while threatened or rushed.

Freedom of Movement (Ex): The runner is effected by a continuous Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm) effect. Because it is extraordinary it is always in effect and cannot be suppressed.

Telonius
2011-06-17, 11:19 AM
Doesn't seem familiar, at least not under that name.

I'm looking in my CK pdf's (from before the erasure), and I see Reachrunner (for shifters, RoE), and Wildrunner (elf/half elf, RotW). And of course, the already mentioned Peregrine Runner. All that's using the word 'Runner' for the key-search.
edit:
Also, he only says 'magazines' that doesn't guarantee it being in Dragon or Dungeon magazine.

Googled "Master of Heights" and "Agility is everything" - turning up nothing except that thread and this one. I think we can safely call this homebrew.

EDIT: At level 10, that's 140 minimum normal speed, and he never tires. Freedom of movement means he never stops. So that's 140*4(run)*10 rounds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 24 hours/day = 8,064,000 feet per day= 1527 miles/day = 63 miles per hour. :smalleek:

This would also be ridiculously good to stack on a Jumplomancer build. Whatever5/Runner10/Exemplar5

Minimum jump check at Runner10, assuming maxed out Jump check: 44 (bonus speed) + 18 (ranks) = 62

Five levels of Exemplar would get you Skill Artistry and Persuasive Performance at +71 jump check at level 20. That's not even looking at things like synergy and all the other ways to boost speed and jump. Anything that sees you is helpful, at minimum. Indifferent and up become fanatic.

herrhauptmann
2011-06-17, 11:42 AM
Googled "Master of Heights" and "Agility is everything" - turning up nothing except that thread and this one. I think we can safely call this homebrew.

I'm thinking it might be really obscure 3rd party. Maybe one of the many campaign worlds released in 2001-02 when the d20 license made D&D popular and resulted in a wealth of material.

I've tried searching for stuff from The Hunt: Rise of Evil, like their Blight magic and Blood+Bone magic. Or the Vitae/Vitus martial powers. Nothing has come up, even adding in the world name and campaign setting name.

dextercorvia
2011-06-17, 11:46 AM
is there anything else that would, say, take advantage of a monk's increased speed?

There are several ways to gain additional modes of movement that reference your land speed, eg. gain the ability to fly at average mobility at a speed equal to your land speed.

Person_Man
2011-06-17, 12:09 PM

EDIT: At level 10, that's 140 minimum normal speed, and he never tires. Freedom of movement means he never stops. So that's 140*4(run)*10 rounds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 24 hours/day = 8,064,000 feet per day= 1527 miles/day = 63 miles per hour. :smalleek:

This would also be ridiculously good to stack on a Jumplomancer build. Whatever5/Runner10/Exemplar5

Minimum jump check at Runner10, assuming maxed out Jump check: 44 (bonus speed) + 18 (ranks) = 62

Five levels of Exemplar would get you Skill Artistry and Persuasive Performance at +71 jump check at level 20. That's not even looking at things like synergy and all the other ways to boost speed and jump. Anything that sees you is helpful, at minimum. Indifferent and up become fanatic.

Yup. The Runner can run well. That's the point.

When I homebrew I never bother worrying about theoretical optimization. If a players want to run real fast and do stuff related to running, I'm happy to give him a really quick full BAB class with fun class features. If a player purposefully tries to break my game with something found on the internet, I smack him over the head with the DMG and yell "RULE 0!" That usually solves the problem.

That aside, does anyone have any other running based ideas that they can think of, or suggestions on how I can make this a better PrC? Additional feat or ability suggestions?

Noremak
2011-06-17, 12:26 PM
If your looking for a free running // Parkour kinda feel then skill tricks and the uncanny trickster PrC from Complete scoundrel can go a long way toward that end. There is even a feat in the book called free running!

Amphetryon
2011-06-17, 02:10 PM
Yup. The Runner can run well. That's the point.

When I homebrew I never bother worrying about theoretical optimization. If a players want to run real fast and do stuff related to running, I'm happy to give him a really quick full BAB class with fun class features. If a player purposefully tries to break my game with something found on the internet, I smack him over the head with the DMG and yell "RULE 0!" That usually solves the problem.

That aside, does anyone have any other running based ideas that they can think of, or suggestions on how I can make this a better PrC? Additional feat or ability suggestions?
Pounce (via Momentum) at ECL 11 is either rather late in the game or redundant with Lion Totem Barbarian, or both. A Bonzai Charge-like ability to change direction would be appropriate. I'd also be interested in being able to kick up some sort of dust-cloud for a round's worth of concealment or similar in place of Momentum.

Andreaz
2011-06-18, 06:32 AM
Ok, so I found the thread I was looking for here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170717) but unfortunately the poster presenting it was banned, and I thus cannot PM him to find out which edition of Dragon it's in.

The Runner-
Requires Tumble 8, Balance 8, Climb 8, Jump 8.
Also requires 2 of the following feats: Agile, Athletic, Lightning Reflexes, Acrobatic.
Requires the Evasion class feature.
-----------
BAB: 3/4
Good save: Reflexes
Hit dice: D8
------
1: +1 AC, Agility is Everything, Tumbling
2: Master of Heights, Urban Travel
3: Fast Movement, Improved Uncanny Dodge
4: There he goes, Untouchable
5: +2 ac, Improved Evasion, Parkour.
-----------
Agility is Everything: Runner can use DEX instead of STR as the key skill for all strength-based skills
Tumbling: Falling from any height is reduced by 10' per Runner level
Master of Heights: Add Runner level as an untyped bonus to Tumble, Balance, Climb and Jump. The Runner can always take 10 on those skills.
Urban Travel: The Runner can ignore any obstacle that can be beaten by a dc 10 Climb or Balance check (like gates, fences, rubble...) without any tests or consuming actions.
Fast Movement: At level 3 the Runner adds +10' to his movement. This bonus is untyped and increases by 10' per further Runner level (+20' at 4, +30' at 5)
Improved Uncanny Dodge: As rogue
There he goes: The runner ignores all difficult terrain penalties.
Untouchable: The runner adds his Runner level to resist Grapple and Trip checks.
Improved Evasion: As rogue
Parkour: As long as the runner has 2 free hands, he is under the effect of "Freedom of Movement" and "Spider Climb". He can also move his normal speed on any climb or balance checks, and tumbling does not consume extra movement. Jumping is always considered a running jump.

All abilities are Extraordinary, including the spell effects from the Parkour class feature.

Does this seem familiar to anyone?

That's slightly adapted from a brasilian magazine, either "Dragão Brasil" or "Dragon Slayer"

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-06-18, 11:16 AM
That's slightly adapted from a brasilian magazine, either "Dragão Brasil" or "Dragon Slayer"

Ah. Do you know which issue? Of course, I don't know any Portuguese, so that might be useless to me...still, it'd be nice to know.

Thespianus
2011-06-18, 11:55 AM
There's that maneuver in ToB that lets you jump as a swift action, and a stance that let's you jump as if you had a running start.

Basically, you can jump N feet as a swift action, where N depends on your jump check, THEN move your full speed, or charge.

A barbarian with Pounce and maxed out Jump could charge from maybe 300 feet away, then full attack, naturally using Leap Attack. :smallsmile:

It wont be game breaking, but it will leave a visual on the retina of your imagination that will have AWESOME burned into it forever. ;)