PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Assistance with character choice

Woodzyowl
2011-06-16, 07:00 PM
As I said, I need help picking a basic class and idea that would be complementary for a frenzied berserker. I was considering playing a kalshatar blaster wilder for fire support and carrying around a wand of calm emotions, but I would like to know if the playground has a better option. Please, no "Play a wizard"s or "Take skill focus basket weaving"s.

DiBastet
2011-06-16, 07:07 PM
A cleric of peace and harmony, with a good focus on buffs and spells that allow the berserker to fight longer, to control the berserker and remove control of the berserker from other would be better.

Edit: Not swordsage'd. A rare ocurrence these days.

myancey
2011-06-16, 09:20 PM
If you're really into turning off the frenzied berserkers abilities when needed, have him take a level of Thayan knight and you take some of Red Wizard. Thayan knights automatically fail saves from Red Wizards.

Woodzyowl
2011-06-16, 09:53 PM
Can't a player choose to fail a will save? And don't most frenzied berserkers have abysmal will saves anyways?

What do you mean by a cleric of peace and harmony? One that focuses on buffs, debuffs, heals, etc.?

Callista
2011-06-16, 09:58 PM
Yes, a player can choose to fail a will save, but the FB's ability stops him from thinking clearly enough to do so. It's very much like being mind-controlled into attacking allies; if you could just choose to fail a save against Hold Person, everybody would use that strategy.

I would suggest something cleric-y. Your party doesn't have a healer, and while healing HP isn't a big deal, there's the stat damage, negative levels, resurrections, etc. to take care of, and a cleric is the equal of any other class in battle too. If you're worried about power level, try a favored soul instead; they aren't as strong as the cleric.

Woodzyowl
2011-06-16, 11:41 PM
I plan to do burst healing outside of battle. I also intend to not let things live long enough to damage us in any way.

This is a very low powered dm, too.

Person_Man
2011-06-17, 07:52 AM
If you can convince the Berserker to use a Subduing weapon (+1 enhancement, makes all damage non-lethal), then you could play Saint Bertold (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5998772&postcount=2) or a similar Apostle of Peace build.

There would be fabulous synergy - you force enemies to attack you. Doing so makes there weapons break. You spend your actions healing and buffing and using battlefield control. Your Berserker friend beats everyone until they're unconscious. And when combat is over you can use Calm Emotions at will on him.