PDA

View Full Version : Epic levels without epic rules?

Kaje
2011-06-16, 07:17 PM
Yesterday, I finally took a peek at the Epic Level Handbook, and I'm definitely seeing why epic magic and the like would be so broken. I was wondering if things are better if you were to go into epic levels, but ignore that stuff. Perhaps no class levels, caster levels, etc would go beyond 20, but you can go into more base and prestige classes as normal to expand your abilities. Maybe keep the epic bab and save progressions as I'm not sure how balance would be affected if attack bonus and saves kept skyrocketing while caster levels remained at 20, but the rest of the epic rules get kicked to the curb.

Any thoughts on how this works?

Halae
2011-06-16, 07:27 PM
My suggestion? just don't allow Epic Spellcasting. Simply put, just get them to take the feat that gives them spell slots of a higher level. That way they can go all metamagic on the enemy without breaking the game more than it already was. That keeps it about as balanced as it was before

Arundel
2011-06-16, 07:28 PM
I could probably have a more meaningful contribution to this topic, but the first question I have is:

Why?

The only thing I really see such being useful for is a greater degree of Theoretical Optimizational Wank than we have now. Sure, you could have a Wizard20/Beholder Mage10/Incantrix10/IoTSV10/Druid 40. Or a Truenamer50. But all you're effectively doing is taking a shattered system and curb stomping it. The game is realistically shattered above ~16 ish, not much can fix that.

If you are just looking to keep a roleplay heavy optimization nil campaign going then sure. Just extend the tables (except the # of attacks, that was the only sensible thing in the ELH) and drive on with your character's journey.

Hecuba
2011-06-16, 08:59 PM
Just extend the tables (except the # of attacks, that was the only sensible thing in the ELH) and drive on with your character's journey.

But Mr./s. Tatoo-elf thinggy, I want to make the rest of the group wait 10 minutes while I roll a gazillion pointless itteratives! What do you mean I can't roll them one at a time?!:smalltongue:

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-16, 09:06 PM
But Mr./s. Tatoo-elf thinggy, I want to make the rest of the group wait 10 minutes while I roll a gazillion pointless itteratives! What do you mean I can't roll them one at a time?!:smalltongue:

This is sort of related, I promise.

I had a CoC GM that didn't understand the rules for submachine guns. In a 100-round drum magazine clip, he made us resolve each round individually.

Seriously. I gave up after the first ten rounds.

Remmirath
2011-06-16, 10:10 PM
It would work, to a point - as well as D20 Modern works at high levels (which is to say, not very well).

I think you would be better served by houseruling the epic rules to your taste (and epic spellcasting in particular does certainly need it), but if you just want to keep going and don't want to be bothered with that then what you suggest could work well enough for a time.