PDA

View Full Version : Wild or Civilized?

Maximus:Ranger
2011-06-16, 08:00 PM
Do you like the more wilderness styled classes (ie Druids, rangers, barbarians) or the more civilized classes (ie Fighter, Thief, Magic-user, etc) and why?

rayne_dragon
2011-06-16, 08:10 PM
I usually add a little bid of the wild to more civilizaled classes, which I tend to play more often. I frequently take nature and survival skills for my characters to reflect that even if they aren't "wild" they're not out of place in the wilderness either. I think I'd have a hard time playing a character who wasn't at least a little wild, since I'm usch a wilderness child myself.

2011-06-16, 08:14 PM
I usually add a little bid of the wild to more civilizaled classes, which I tend to play more often. I frequently take nature and survival skills for my characters to reflect that even if they aren't "wild" they're not out of place in the wilderness either. I think I'd have a hard time playing a character who wasn't at least a little wild, since I'm usch a wilderness child myself.

Oh so you're playing 4th edition:smallsmile:. I haven't played that in a while but when i did i was always a ranger. I feel like it the perfect in-between of civilization and wilderness.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-16, 08:26 PM
Oh so you're playing 4th edition:smallsmile:. I haven't played that in a while but when i did i was always a ranger. I feel like it the perfect in-between of civilization and wilderness.

How do you know it's 4e? Rayne said "take nature and survival skills", not "are trained in nature". They don't even have the survival skill for 4e, it's just part of the nature skill.

2011-06-16, 09:00 PM
How do you know it's 4e? Rayne said "take nature and survival skills", not "are trained in nature". They don't even have the survival skill for 4e, it's just part of the nature skill.

Oh...right,sorry about that. I'm a little rusty on rules for skills and the like and when i read nature skill my mind imediately went to 4th edition. So sorry

OverdrivePrime
2011-06-16, 09:04 PM
Wild. I quickly get bored with characters who aren't at home in nature. Even my shadowrun characters are nature lovers. :smallcool:

dsmiles
2011-06-16, 09:06 PM
Civilized. Definitely. My favorite archetypes are the "Merchant Prince," "Dungeon Delver," or "Second-Story Man" rogues, and the "Methodical Dominator" telepath.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-16, 09:22 PM
Wild, generally. Not just druids, but also people like explorers, dungeon delvers, and people who go into ruins rather then sip brandy back at the mage school. Through I define dungeon delver differently then people before, and more as a camping expedition in some forgotten place with less marshmallows and more rampaging monsters.

Remember everyone, biggest rock is best rock for rock diplomacy!

Shadowknight12
2011-06-16, 09:26 PM
Wild, in all shapes and forms. I guess my distaste for filth, crowds and cities seeps into my characters.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-16, 09:29 PM
I think crossing. City types for the wilderness campaigns, and nature types for the city campaigns.:smallbiggrin:

Remmirath
2011-06-16, 09:52 PM
I sometimes like them both, but I lean more towards the civilised ones. Ranger is really the only wild class I like - I don't like druids, and I typically use barbarians as berserkers (as in, the rage but not the wild).

I can't really say why, though, as I don't know. I find druids boring for some reason, and the others interest me more.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-16, 10:12 PM
Wild, hands down. I relate to it far more than Civilized classes, and rangers/ fighters are my favourites.

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-17, 05:06 AM
A light mix of both, like a typical elf.

My favorite builds are wilderness rogue/scout/ranger/swordsage (Dia Mind/Sha Bld/Tiger Claw) mixed with transmuter or Diviner into swiftblade, with some ruathar. I prefer elves or elf leaning things.

Forgotten realms harpers are a good example of what I like.

SuperFerret
2011-06-17, 05:09 AM
I'm a city boy by birth and at heart, but I'm also an adamant animal lover. Urban Druid tends to be a theme I play with a lot. I like being king of the urban jungle.

Also, with the medieval style settings that are common to most roleplaying games (most common ones at least), the distinction between civilization and wilderness blurs a bit. Hell, there are still occasional coyote sightings in the heart of New York City, so unless you're playing a far future deep space game, it's hard to completely separate the two.

And now I really want to play a big city, rat themed hobo druid. Probably named Stinky Pete.

Mastikator
2011-06-17, 05:13 AM
Wild. Mostly because I think it's easier to give them an excuse to adventure, it's not like they have a comfortable life to fall back on.

Earthwalker
2011-06-17, 06:07 AM
My favourite archtype to play is detective. So its Civilized all the way for me.
I want the city and people around me. I far prefer an adventure ffinding out who dun it, as opposed to fighting to the bottom of some pit killing monsters.

Xanmyral
2011-06-17, 06:09 AM
Civilized. I'm a fan of nature and all, but I tend to feel out of my element when not around technology or civilization. I'm not against taking "wild" classes, but I would probably put a mild "civilized" taste to them. That, and the only "wild" class I prefer would probably be a spell caster, or stealthy character so that pretty much just means some rogue take on Ranger, or Druid. Really though, its remarkably easy to put a taste of wild, or civilized in any class. Barbarian doesn't mean tribe, nor might wizard mean prestigious colleges.

2011-06-17, 09:38 AM
Wild, generally. Not just druids, but also people like explorers, dungeon delvers, and people who go into ruins rather then sip brandy back at the mage school. Through I define dungeon delver differently then people before, and more as a camping expedition in some forgotten place with less marshmallows and more rampaging monsters.

Remember everyone, biggest rock is best rock for rock diplomacy!

What about rampaging monsters and then marshmallows to celebrate?

Coidzor
2011-06-17, 09:55 AM
I tend to prefer individuals who straddle the border myself, wanderers who can get lost in the crowd as well as survive in the wilds on their own.

I blame my Scouting background for it, really.

Mastikator
2011-06-17, 11:44 AM
What about rampaging monsters and then marshmallows to celebrate?

Celebrate that you're a rampaging monster by eating marshmallows? I like the way you think.

dsmiles
2011-06-17, 03:26 PM
Celebrate that you're a rampaging monster by eating marshmallows? I like the way you think.Think? That's not a thought. That's a fact, Jack. :smallwink:

Eric Tolle
2011-06-19, 02:27 PM
Civilization, definitely. Civilization has croissants and espresso, and wilderness can't match that.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-19, 02:33 PM
Civilization has things like diplomacy and laws and cravats. Pass.

Coidzor
2011-06-19, 02:58 PM
Civilization has things like diplomacy and laws and cravats. Pass.

It also has enough beer and brothels to tide over any adventurer between adventures though.

Then again, roasting a boar over cherry wood after the party barbarian split it half with a single blow of his axe is always pretty sweet.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-19, 04:33 PM
It also has enough beer and brothels to tide over any adventurer between adventures though.

Then again, roasting a boar over cherry wood after the party barbarian split it half with a single blow of his axe is always pretty sweet.

And you can always put ranks in craft (alcohol).

McStabbington
2011-06-19, 04:53 PM
In practice civilized. What I really like are skill monkey classes, so that I can do lots of different things reasonably well. Regardless of tier, I always end up feeling hamstrung unless I've got at least one class with 6 + Int skill ranks per level, and most of those (Bard, Rogue, Spellthief) are civilized classes. If I do go with a wild class, it will almost inevitably be a ranger.

2011-06-19, 07:32 PM
In practice civilized. What I really like are skill monkey classes, so that I can do lots of different things reasonably well. Regardless of tier, I always end up feeling hamstrung unless I've got at least one class with 6 + Int skill ranks per level, and most of those (Bard, Rogue, Spellthief) are civilized classes. If I do go with a wild class, it will almost inevitably be a ranger.

Rangers are pretty damn awesome. I don't know why but they are.:smallsmile:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-19, 07:40 PM
Rangers are pretty damn awesome. I don't know why but they are.:smallsmile:

Probably because of spells and wild shape variant.

For wild classes with skill points, there's the scout and wilderness rogue.

dsmiles
2011-06-19, 07:56 PM
Civilization, definitely. Civilization has croissants and espresso, and wilderness can't match that.Darn right! Espresso, croissants, brothels, taverns, and all the trappings of civilization. Can't beat 'em.

Give me the dirty, smelly city streets, and the high rooftops to skulk about on. The press of humanity makes for great cover in dishonest dealings. :smallwink:

Terraoblivion
2011-06-19, 07:57 PM
So your characters like to spend much of their traveling time cooking? Spitroasting a boar takes ages after all.

Anyway, completely and utterly civilization. There are so many options and people, not to mention more varied and interesting foodstuffs. Admittedly it's mostly for learning, knowledge and politics though.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-19, 07:59 PM
Darn right! Espresso, croissants, brothels, taverns, and all the trappings of civilization. Can't beat 'em.

Give me the dirty, smelly city streets, and the high rooftops to skulk about on. The press of humanity makes for great cover in dishonest dealings. :smallwink:

So you like Assassin's Creed and Sly Cooper?

The Glyphstone
2011-06-19, 08:03 PM
I like playing civilized wild classes (Urban Druids and Rangers, and Barbarianscultured and educated men with anger management issues, and wild civilized classes (crochety wizards, wandering highway robbers, and solitary warrior-hermits).:smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2011-06-19, 08:15 PM
So you like Assassin's Creed and Sly Cooper?Never played either one. I just like city rogues. Second-story men, merchant princes, pickpockets, and trapmasters. Those are the primary archetypes I play. Secondary archetypes, you ask? Civilized manipulators (evil telepaths) who are shooting for a kingdom (at a minimum).

Marnath
2011-06-19, 08:21 PM
Darn right! Espresso, croissants, brothels, taverns, and all the trappings of civilization. Can't beat 'em.

Bah, you don't need civilization for that! Just go into town once every few months to refill your Handy Haversack with coffee beans and hand kegs of ale. Cast minor creation to make all the fresh croissants you could ever want! As for brothels...planar binding for a couple succubi.:smallwink:

dsmiles
2011-06-19, 08:28 PM
Bah, you don't need civilization for that! Just go into town once every few months to refill your Handy Haversack with coffee beans and hand kegs of ale. Cast minor creation to make all the fresh croissants you could ever want! As for brothels...planar binding for a couple succubi.:smallwink:
Where do I get the high rooftops and the press of humanity, then? :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-19, 08:29 PM

Forest canopies and the deep wild.

Marnath
2011-06-19, 08:33 PM

Spend enough time up a tree and the squirrel community will make more than an adequate level of noise for you to feel at home. Or at least that's what every hunter I've ever known has said.:smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-19, 08:36 PM
Never played either one.

Look 'em up on Amazon. Never played Assassin's Creed (it's rated M and I'm a teenager), but the Sly Cooper series is great.

dsmiles
2011-06-19, 08:43 PM
Spend enough time up a tree and the squirrel community will make more than an adequate level of noise for you to feel at home. Or at least that's what every hunter I've ever known has said.:smalltongue:Pass. I prefer civilization.

Look 'em up on Amazon. Never played Assassin's Creed (it's rated M and I'm a teenager), but the Sly Cooper series is great.Again, pass. Video games hold very little interest for me. My gaming is almost all on the tabletop. RPGs, Wargames, and Skirmish games.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-19, 09:09 PM

I agree with most of this plan. I am almost certain that looting and pillaging is not considered the most civilized of activities. I would rather seduce the boar then put that anywhere anything with sneak attack, level drain and claws.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-19, 09:17 PM
I would rather seduce the boar then put that anywhere anything with sneak attack, level drain and claws.

Eh, that's what wild tribes are for. The civilization stuff in the wild.

Marnath
2011-06-19, 10:39 PM
I agree with most of this plan. I am almost certain that looting and pillaging is not considered the most civilized of activities. I would rather seduce the boar then put that anywhere anything with sneak attack, level drain and claws.

To be fair, the kind of guy who would bind a succubus for that purpose is the kind of guy who doesn't think things through anyway. I never said it was a good plan, after all.:smallbiggrin:

On topic, I like arcane users, but usually try to make it at least a little likely that they'd go traipsing about in the wild where dungeons are. You know, someone who may or may not be a dusty scholar type but has the sense to at least wear good rugged traveling boots and appropriate clothing for the outdoors, no felt slippers or whatever it is scholars wear normally in their libraries.

Alf Brandybuck
2011-06-21, 07:36 PM
even though i play a fighter i prefer wild classes, the shear freedom and having to abide by mearly the laws of nature. Nature where theft is just the stronger taking from the weaker, and proof of "survival of the fitest" as well as killing. freedom :smallbiggrin: soooo yeah nature

2011-06-21, 09:11 PM
even though i play a fighter i prefer wild classes, the shear freedom and having to abide by mearly the laws of nature. Nature where theft is just the stronger taking from the weaker, and proof of "survival of the fitest" as well as killing. freedom :smallbiggrin: soooo yeah nature

And its where you can tackle trees, fish in caves, and befriend woolly rhinos :smallwink:

Aron Times
2011-06-22, 02:38 PM
I once played an urban druid whose philosophy was that his powers gave him (and his circle) dominion over nature, as opposed to more traditional druids, who try to live in harmony with nature. Spells like Charm Animal, Dominate Animal, Control Plants, etc. only reinforce the circle's beliefs.