PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Siege 3

conzom
2011-06-16, 08:25 PM
Okay so I'm currently downloading Dungeon Siege 3 on steam, think it was only released about 2 and a half hours ago, any one else already downloaded it? and if so hows it looking?

edit:
So I have started playing now and I can tell you already looks epic, so much has changed from Dungeon Siege 2 too Dungeon Siege 3 but its all good so far, really enjoying it.

Blue Bandit
2011-06-16, 10:02 PM
Wait, there's a Dungeon Siege 3....... "Checks on Google".........Man I need to get a faster internet connection cause I'm late on everything. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, it looks pretty cool so far. Ive always been a fan of Dungeon Siege (Legends of Aranna is still my favorite.) But if its as good as Dungeon Siege ll I'll be happy.

warty goblin
2011-06-16, 10:31 PM
It's developed by Obsidian, which means wait and see how badly they screwed up this time. Maybe at least this time they'll bother to make the mouse pointer click on what it's pointing to in the PC version.

It's also possible they'll manage to patch it without rendering the game unplayable.

Other than that my interest level is moderate at best. It still has to answer the basic question that comes before all hack'n'slash RPGs - why would I play you when I have Sacred II? Unless I see some evidence that I can play something as crazy as a robotic Anubis with a morphing laser cannon arm or as delightfully customizable as the High Elf it's gonna be a hard sell.

factotum
2011-06-17, 01:59 AM
It's developed by Obsidian, which means wait and see how badly they screwed up this time. Maybe at least this time they'll bother to make the mouse pointer click on what it's pointing to in the PC version.

I played the demo, but found it worked better with an XBox controller...it was quite enjoyable for all that, though!

Never actually played Sacred II. Didn't think much of the original game, are you saying #2 was a lot better?

Triaxx
2011-06-17, 05:33 AM
I don't know. I couldn't stand Diablo, but I love Sacred. Exceptionally deep, but not in the 'bwah? How do I get that cool ability with the points I have' sort of way.

As for DS3, I'm kind of interested to see what Obsidian has done with it. I know what GPG had with the first, and frankly I haven't played DS2 yet.

But if 3 is half as fun as 1, I'll be happy.

Rustic Dude
2011-06-17, 06:18 AM
Well I've played it a bit. My take on it.

-Controls are a bit mediocre, camera is a nightmare.

-Graphics are pretty.

-Maps are godawful corridors.

-Obsidian has introduced some choices in quests, an Influence system with companions, and a Mass Effect-like dialogue wheel. Feels like an hybrid between your usual action RPG/mouse masher and a Western RPG(NWN, Kotor)

Overall, it is an ok game. Nothing incredibly great but it does its job.

Comet
2011-06-17, 06:19 AM
I've been playing this for a good while and I'm loving it. The gameplay could maybe be a bit more deep, but as it is it's perfectly serviceable and has a really fast pace, making every fight a quick and flashy affair.

The story is my main point of interest in this and it is, surprisingly, actually very good. Not the usual mindblowing Obsidian writing, but still a very good fantasy story with a set of main characters that are flawed in all the right ways.

All in all, I'm not a huge fan of these Diablo-likes, but this game has its pacing just right. When I'm about to get bored with killing monsters in a dungeon, the game throws me into a nice looking town and has me go through dialogue trees and learn a bit more about the world.

So I'll just go ahead and recommend this. I know I've had a ton of fun with it so far.

warty goblin
2011-06-17, 09:42 AM
I've been playing this for a good while and I'm loving it. The gameplay could maybe be a bit more deep, but as it is it's perfectly serviceable and has a really fast pace, making every fight a quick and flashy affair.

The story is my main point of interest in this and it is, surprisingly, actually very good. Not the usual mindblowing Obsidian writing, but still a very good fantasy story with a set of main characters that are flawed in all the right ways.

All in all, I'm not a huge fan of these Diablo-likes, but this game has its pacing just right. When I'm about to get bored with killing monsters in a dungeon, the game throws me into a nice looking town and has me go through dialogue trees and learn a bit more about the world.

Eh, I don't usually get a huge amount out of dialog trees and learning about the world. Usually because they come in the form of massive, generally unnecessary hunks of exposition, and I long ago lost my taste for listening to people yammer about made up stuff. I still like fantasy mind, I just don't want to hear about it in such excruciating detail.

For me the fun of a hack'n'slash RPG is wandering around nice looking places, killing nice looking monsters, taking their nice looking stuff, and then getting to some seriously crunchy leveling up. Sacred 2 delivers this perfectly, particularly the leveling up which actually contains some interesting decision making, and the nice looking world bit.

Anyway DSIII will go on the wait a while list. I've still got DNF and Alice: Madness Returns to work on.

Comet
2011-06-17, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I reckon this game won't have a huge deal of stuff for those tastes, as the character development is far from crunchy in any sense of the word. Mostly it's just numbers getting bigger in the background with the occasional new ability, which are basically just new ways to deal out damage either to a single target or a bunch of smaller targets that are lumped together.

The world does look nice, though, but the gameplay itself is probably not up your alley. Maybe worth picking up at a discount later, but quite a lot of games are.

So, absolutely, just stick to Alice. It's a great game from what I've managed to play so far.

Dogmantra
2011-06-17, 10:00 AM
I pre-ordered it and have been playing through the free DSI for nostalgia's sake recently. It's done downloading, but I haven't tried it yet. I do hope it's happy fun times.

Dragor
2011-06-17, 10:37 AM
The pre-order deal on Steam was a great introduction to the DS series, so I thought- hey, why not? Everything hack-n-slash wise is simply a stopgap until Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3, anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised, though. Playing as Lucas. Although I'm a bit saddened that there aren't more talents and such, it's a perfectly good RPG. For the first three hours I was worried I wasn't going to get a cosmetic upgrade at all in the armour department, and so was incredibly happy when I got the fancy pauldrons with the drapes coming off them. Less happy that I still seem to be getting 'vanilla armour' drops... hmm.

Still, it's a very neat little game and I've not encountered any bugs or crashes as of yet, which is surprising to say the least, especially for Obsidian.

Triaxx
2011-06-17, 10:55 AM
Yeah, DS1 was a bit stingy with the drops as well.

A lot of them try so hard to have AWESOME!1!! sets, and items, and end up not dropping them often enough for you to really play with them.

Freylorn
2011-06-17, 10:59 AM
It's got local multiplayer on PS3 (from what I gather) which is a massive selling point for my wife and I.

Is it a game that one must have played the previous installments to understand? Or can we go in blind on DS3 and not be confused?

Dragor
2011-06-17, 11:24 AM
It's got local multiplayer on PS3 (from what I gather) which is a massive selling point for my wife and I.

Is it a game that one must have played the previous installments to understand? Or can we go in blind on DS3 and not be confused?

There's a lot of references to previous games, but it's just that- references. You can come in semi-fresh like I did and I'm 100% sure you'll understand everything.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-06-17, 11:44 AM
I played the demo, and can you still only start with the two characters? Cause in DSI and DSII, you go to create your own character, and what if I wanted to be a full-on mage...

Dogmantra
2011-06-17, 01:12 PM
Okay, so playin' this it runs fine, except the sound which is all juddery. I tried messing with the video options which sometimes helps, but to no avail, any idea how to fix juddery sound?

(on PC obviously)

EDIT: managed to fix it, you have to set it to low priority in task manager.

LansXero
2011-06-17, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I reckon this game won't have a huge deal of stuff for those tastes, as the character development is far from crunchy in any sense of the word. Mostly it's just numbers getting bigger in the background with the occasional new ability, which are basically just new ways to deal out damage either to a single target or a bunch of smaller targets that are lumped together.

The world does look nice, though, but the gameplay itself is probably not up your alley. Maybe worth picking up at a discount later, but quite a lot of games are.

So, absolutely, just stick to Alice. It's a great game from what I've managed to play so far.

How does gameplay compare to DSII? I really liked it and I hope they havent changed it much. Also, can you make your own character?

factotum
2011-06-17, 04:30 PM
I played the demo, and can you still only start with the two characters? Cause in DSI and DSII, you go to create your own character, and what if I wanted to be a full-on mage...

Aren't there four playable characters in the actual game? The trailers in the demo certainly suggest that.

Dogmantra
2011-06-17, 04:36 PM
How does gameplay compare to DSII? I really liked it and I hope they havent changed it much. Also, can you make your own character?
Not really much like DSI, and from the little DSII I played, not much like that either.

And you can't make your own character. You get to choose from Lucas, a sword dude, Ajanexoticname, a fire spirit girl, Katarina, a gunslinger and some other chap who shoots magics.

conzom
2011-06-17, 09:48 PM
Aren't there four playable characters in the actual game? The trailers in the demo certainly suggest that.

there is 4 playable characters, 2 different types of mages, a swordsman and a gunslinger. i went with the gunslinger, very DAKKADAKKA with the crits and ricocheting bullets.

Comet
2011-06-18, 08:24 AM
and some other chap who shoots magics.

Reinhart Manx doesn't just shoot magic, he punches people and monsters in the face with magic. A subtle difference, granted, but one I felt needed some appreciation nonetheless.

I play Lucas, mind, but Reinhart is definitely an awesome character.

warty goblin
2011-06-18, 11:36 AM
So after reading a bunch of positive reviews I downloaded the demo, only to discover I couldn't remap the controls.

This is a literal dealbreaker for me, since due to an odd and apparently unfixeable bug unique to my computer the alpha-numeric keys don't work right in games. If I can't remap to the arrow keys, right shift, control, enter, delete, end and so on I absolutely cannot play the game. Is this peculiar to the demo, or are controls fixed in the full version as well?

Dragor
2011-06-18, 03:16 PM
So after reading a bunch of positive reviews I downloaded the demo, only to discover I couldn't remap the controls.

This is a literal dealbreaker for me, since due to an odd and apparently unfixeable bug unique to my computer the alpha-numeric keys don't work right in games. If I can't remap to the arrow keys, right shift, control, enter, delete, end and so on I absolutely cannot play the game. Is this peculiar to the demo, or are controls fixed in the full version as well?

It's something they absolutely need to patch in in the full version, I'm afraid. You might want to wait before you purchase.