PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying as large, methods

tuesdayscoming
2011-06-16, 08:34 PM
Hmm...

Is there a way to make a non large, non goliath character qualify for feats that require large size? Specifically I'm looking for something to make a thri-kreen qualify for the Knockback feat. The character is already level 6, so nothing that can only be done at chargen would work, sadly.

edit: I know that temporary spell effects can technically qualify you for feats, but I'm looking for something a little bit more reliable, if possible.

hivedragon
2011-06-16, 08:39 PM
Enlarge person + permanency?
Of corse there is just asking your DM nicely. If you are a non-spell caster character at a high level I can't imagine anything you could take that would break the game.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-16, 09:04 PM
Permanencied Enlarge Person will only run you about 1500gp, if memory serves.

Alternatively, try explaining to your GM that you only gain the benefits of the feat when you qualify for it, so if you take Knockback and then use Expansion during certain fights, it works.

This sounds suspiciously like a "melee can't have nice things" DM... :smallannoyed:

Thurbane
2011-06-16, 09:05 PM
I know you're not looking at temporary methods, but I can think of 2 ways to become large - both will have a limit usage per day, however.

One is to take levels in the Stoneblessed PrC to count as a Goliath, then take the Goliath Barbarian sub level that lets you trade in rage for growing large.

There's also the Ring of Growth (Savage Species), that allows you to grow one size category regardless of type - it's only 1/day for 9 minutes, though.

...I'm not terribly familiar with psionics, but I believe the Expansion power would also work.

tuesdayscoming
2011-06-16, 09:21 PM
Actually, I haven't talked to the DM about the idea at all. I just want to find a perfectly legal way of doing exactly what I want. The DM, however, has already let me have a good number of nice things, and the character is really quite powerful as is. All the same, there's no harm (for me) in being even more powerful :smallamused:

Re: Goliath barbarian, its definitely a neat idea. The character already has a level in Barb, however, and took the Whirling Frenzy ACF.

The Ring of Growth is a nifty idea. At 18k, though, I don't know that it's a justifiable expense.

Enlarge Person, while certainly a tried and true method, only works on Humanoids. Thri-kreen, however, are Monstrous Humanoids, and are therefore not valid targets.

Expansion would work, but would require a dip into yet another class...

Hmm... this is apparently a rather difficult thing to do. Perhaps an easier thing to do would be to find a substitute for Knockback?

Amphetryon
2011-06-16, 09:46 PM
Doesn't Jotenbrud do this for you in FR, for certain effects?

Thurbane
2011-06-16, 09:48 PM
Doesn't Jotenbrud do this for you in FR, for certain effects?
Pretty sure that's a Human only regional feat, and as per Powerful Build, doesn't qualify you as large except for a few very specific examples.

Keld Denar
2011-06-17, 12:12 AM
Furthermore, on top of being human only, regional feats can only be taken at level 1. So that's 3 strikes against that feat.

Thurbane
2011-06-17, 12:18 AM
Would Strongarm Bracers work? In their wording they say "you can
wield weapons as if you were one size category larger than normal". A quite liberal reading of this might extend to use of the Knockback feat...

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-06-17, 04:27 AM
polymorph any object, and get the half giant template from the dragon mag. 3000gp and can't be disspelled, and you can still use enlarge person

Curmudgeon
2011-06-17, 06:11 AM
polymorph any object, and get the half giant template from the dragon mag. 3000gp and can't be disspelled, and you can still use enlarge person
This is wrong in, I think, all respects. :smallsigh:

(1) You can't create a creature with a template using Polymorph Any Object.
This spell functions like polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another.
This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature.
You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype. The template restriction is inherited through the spell description chain.

(2) According to DragonDex (http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/index.html), the last Half-Giant there was way back in issue # 256. The most recent Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) is a race, not a template. Perhaps you were thinking of Half-Ogre, a size-boosting template from Dragon # 313? (Ogre is a creature of the Giant type, though Half-Ogre doesn't change the base creature's type.)

(3) The cost for an 8th level spell like Polymorph Any Object, bought as a service, is 80 gp x caster level, or 1,200 gp total.

(4) Polymorph Any Object can be dispelled. It does not create instantaneous changes, and its longest duration of permanent is always subject to being dispelled.
Permanent

The energy remains as long as the effect does. This means the spell is vulnerable to dispel magic.

(5) Spells increasing size don't stack.

Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack. There's no exclusion for Polymorph Any Object. If PAO increased size, Enlarge Person will do nothing.

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-06-17, 10:06 PM
yes i was thinking of the half orge template.

your spell chain just seems wrong, if a spell say functions like a different spell, the word like can mean a few things like similiar, but if the spell say function as different spell i would follow your meaning. so i would allow a player to add a template that way.

the price i gave was for a scroll.

i think in the savage speices book they have rituals to change creature type or add templates