PDA

View Full Version : Martial Study question

VarianArdell
2011-06-17, 07:54 AM
As the title states, I have a question regarding the feat Martial Study. If a Warblade were to take this feat at, say, 6th level, choosing Shadow Hand for the discipline, would that same Warblade, upon taking her 7th level, be able to choose a Shadow Hand maneuver for her additional maneuver known?

Amphetryon
2011-06-17, 07:58 AM
As the title states, I have a question regarding the feat Martial Study. If a Warblade were to take this feat at, say, 6th level, choosing Shadow Hand for the discipline, would that same Warblade, upon taking her 7th level, be able to choose a Shadow Hand maneuver for her additional maneuver known?

Martial Study does not "open up" new disciplines to a character, beyond the individual maneuver selected by the Feat. In order to take additional maneuvers from a discipline that's off-list, the character would have to invest more feats in Martial Study - though previous choices would count as prerequisites.

If, on the other hand, you use Martial Study for a discipline already available to the character, it counts in all ways for fulfilling prerequisites for future maneuver choices.

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-17, 01:27 PM
I think you're saying that you're taking the feat at 6th, but want to wait until 7th to get the benefit of it? So that you meet the prereqs of a 4th level manuever and get it earlier than 9th level, right?

Thats not kosher by RAW, but id be cool with it as a DM.

VarianArdell
2011-06-17, 05:47 PM
I think you're saying that you're taking the feat at 6th, but want to wait until 7th to get the benefit of it? So that you meet the prereqs of a 4th level manuever and get it earlier than 9th level, right?

Thats not kosher by RAW, but id be cool with it as a DM.

nah, Amphetryon pretty much answered my question, though most DMs I've encountered would agree with you on delaying the effects of a feat... heck, I do that myself when I (rarely) DM...