PDA

View Full Version : best extraordinary abilities only character?

kanachi
2011-06-17, 08:36 AM
Ok, I don’t know why but this situation popped into my head and I thought It would make an interesting challenge for everyone.

A random cosmic event takes place which envelopes the entire world (from core to the very upper atmosphere) in an anti-magic sphere/field. This event occurs without warning and effectively wipes out magic in the world in an instant.

The gods have also somehow been cut off from the world and can not answer their subjects.

What level 20 character build would you construct be the most powerful individual possible within such a world?

You may use core + any splat books a sane DM would be happy with to make your build. Your character may be any LA0 or LA1 race.

I suppose this may ultimately come down to who can make the most powerful extraordinary abilities only build.

Anyway it would be interesting to see what you guys come up with. I’m sure one of you will find a way to get magic back into the world again some how.

Big Fau
2011-06-17, 08:40 AM
Warblade 20. Bam, you are the best around.

kanachi
2011-06-17, 08:43 AM
I've never really looks at the book of nine swords. Are all the warblades abilities extraordinary abilities?

Good point though, i had forgotten completely about that book to be honest. what would you go for if you didn't have that book?

Big Fau
2011-06-17, 09:09 AM
I've never really looks at the book of nine swords. Are all the warblades abilities extraordinary abilities?

Good point though, i had forgotten completely about that book to be honest. what would you go for if you didn't have that book?

Yes, and there really isn't much else out there. Almost all of the classes above Tier 4 have some form of non-Ex ability, and the classes that lack them tend to be well into Tier 5 or 6. Barbarian's about the only thing I can think of (curse you Factotum for having Turning and Spellcasting!).

raxies94
2011-06-17, 09:22 AM
Warblade 20. Bam, you are the best around.

This would probably be correct.

JaronK
2011-06-17, 10:27 AM
Might be worth it to go Factotum 3/Crusader 1/Warblade X with Able Learner, giving you healing (Martial Spirit, yes it's Ex) and Int to lots of skills, plus all skills as class skills forever (effectively), and fixing the Warblade stance progression while you're at it.

JaronK

Big Fau
2011-06-17, 10:41 AM
Might be worth it to go Factotum 3/Crusader 1/Warblade X with Able Learner, giving you healing (Martial Spirit, yes it's Ex) and Int to lots of skills, plus all skills as class skills forever (effectively), and fixing the Warblade stance progression while you're at it.

JaronK

Arcane Dilettante screws that up.

Wyntonian
2011-06-17, 10:44 AM
Just for clarification, does this mean that we can't use any classes with non-ex abilities, or we can use the classes, but the abilities are entirely worthless and don't work?

JaronK
2011-06-17, 12:27 PM
Arcane Dilettante screws that up.

Just don't use it. You're in an Antimagic Field, so AD just doesn't do anything.

...though I just realized the most powerful character is a Wizard 20, using Invoke Magic to cast a Rope Trick. Then he pops into the rope trick and starts casting spells from in there (build an army of the dead, have fun with fabricating stuff, whatever else you might like to do as well!). Might want to get some Walls of Force up as they block Antimagic Fields... make a box inside of which magic works fine. Once you've got a stable place to cast from, cast Genesis to make your own magic friendly plane.

JaronK

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-17, 12:34 PM
Looking at the campaign setting thing there, gnome Wizard 20.

Gnome-tech yourself a rocket, then disjunction the AMF from above until it breaks.

If you don't want your DM to throttle you, then use the warblade stuff.

WinWin
2011-06-17, 02:38 PM
Human Wizard. Mix in some incantrix and Archmage. Turned into a Shadow. Became Emancipated Spawn. Touched his thought Bottle.

Now all his class features and spells are considered to be extraordinary (ex) abilities. Plus, you're a Shadow in a world without magic. Mua hah hah...

Or just play one of the Chosen of Mystra/Betrayer of Shar builds..