PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Gun Magus Archetype (WIP)

stack
2011-06-17, 08:40 AM
A modification of the new Magus class, designed for use with more steam-punk/victorian campaigns.

Base: as per the Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus)

While most magi use a one-handed weapon as their melee implement of choice, one group of magi have learned to focus their arcane power through firearms. These lightly armored magi use either pistols or longarms to inflict physical and magical damage on their foes from afar.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A gun magus is proficient with simple weapons and a choice of either pistols or long-guns (muskets/rifles). He can cast magus spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. Like any other arcane spellcaster, a magus wearing medium armor or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component. A multiclass magus still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes. The gun magus begins play with either a musket or two pistols, depending on his choice. This replaces the normal magus weapon and armor proficiency feature.

Enhance gun (Ex): At 1st level, a gun magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any firearm he is holding a the somatic or everloaded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/collaborators/work-area/3rd-party-publishers/cubicle-7-entertainment/tome-of-secrets/tos---flintlocks-and-fantasy/everloaded)property for 1 minute. This points can be spent simultaneously and in addition to normal arcane pool enhancements. Other enhancements are subject to the cap as normal.

Spellstrike (Su): At 2nd level, whenever a magus casts a spell with a ranged touch attack from the magus spell list, he can deliver the spell through any firearm he is wielding as part of a ranged attack. Instead of the free ranged touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free ranged attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If the magus makes this attack in concert with spell combat, this attack takes all the penalties accrued by spell combat attacks. This attack uses the weapon’s critical range (20, 19–20, or 18–20 and modified by the keen weapon property or similar effects), but the spell effect only deals ×2 damage on a successful critical hit, while the weapon damage uses its own critical modifier. If the spell allows multiple targets, additional ranged touch attacks from that spell are can be used with iterative attacks. Spell attacks exceeding the number of iterative attacks are wasted and have no effect. This replaces the normal spellstrike ability.

Enhanced Spellstrike (Su): At 7th level, the magus may channel any spell that allows a melee touch attack using the spellstrike ability. Touch attacks can only be channeled in the first range increment of the weapon. This ability replaces medium armor proficiency.

Extend Enhancement (Ex): at 10th level, any use of the Enhance Gun ability lasts for 1 hour. If two spell pool points are spent, the ability will last 12 hours. This replaces heavy armor proficiency.

So, does this seemed balanced with the other archetypes? I initially wanted to channel melee touch spells from level two, but thought that might be too much. As a balance point, I allowed the somatic weapon property so long-guns users can still cast, balancing the increased range and damage with a drain on the spell pool. Also, my first homebrew.

Elegonn
2011-07-28, 11:59 PM
It's great

Elegonn
2011-08-05, 06:47 PM
I'm making a steampunk campaign setting and I was wondering if I could use your variant in my setting. I'd give all the credit to you off course.