PDA

View Full Version : By CROM!!! Favored Soul suggestions

Morbis Meh
2011-06-17, 09:48 AM
Hello Playgrounders,

in an upcoming campaign (I am up to 3 at once :smalleek:) I am playing a favored soul. Now before powergamers get their hate on let me explain. Our party consists of a Beguiler, a Swordsage, and a Sorcerer so playing as a Tier 1 Cleric to me is not fair or fun. Now with that being said I have chosen to play as a favored soul to fulfill the healing requirements of the party as well as provide frontline support. This is the first time playing a favored soul and though I do not get the wonderful domain abilities or turning attempts (I shall miss DMM) I am going to play with gusto and most likely remain as a full FS (unless someone has any interesting suggestions for a PrC). Our DM has insisted that we create out own gods instead of using the core ones, which is fine with me. I have decided to Worship CROM, Barbarian God of Conan, and play the character as CG (our DM has a hardon for alignments so I must be consistent). I have chosen the favored weapon of Crom to be a greatsword for aesthetic and practical reasons and now am wondering what to do with feats and possibly spells. So without further adieu here is my build (we were only allowed 1 flaw).

Lvl 1 Human FS
Str:15
Dex: 13
Con: 15
Int: 13
Wis: 14
Cha: 17

Flaw: Shaky (Crom believes it cowardly to attack foes at distance instead of beheading your enemy then using his skull to drink mead!)

H:Power Attack
F: Improved Bullrush
1: Versatile Spellcaster
3: Leap Attack (I am hoping to talk to my DM to allow this) or leap of the heavens
6: Shocktrooper
9: Leap attack (if DM doesn't allow it)
12:
15:
18:

Spells known:
0- Create water, cure minor wounds, resistance and light
1- Cure light wounds, shield of faith and divine favour

All I have for equipment is a greatsword and chain shirt. I would like some suggestions on feats that are more spellcasting oriented, I know melee quite well and I may choose to pick up martial study and stance later. Thank you!

Cog
2011-06-17, 10:20 AM
A Favored Soul doesn't qualify for Shock Trooper until level 8; they get 3/4 BAB.

If you can pick up Turning - Knight of the Raven is my suggested PrC for Favored Souls - the Devotion feats are good. They'll put that nice big Cha of yours to work, too, which your spellcasting rarely will.

Morbis Meh
2011-06-17, 10:35 AM
A Favored Soul doesn't qualify for Shock Trooper until level 8; they get 3/4 BAB.

Whoops forgot about the +6 BAB.... I need to stop posting when I just wake up lol.

So that updates my build to:
H: Power Attack
F: Improved Bull Rush
1: Versatile Spell Caster
3: Leap of the Heavens (or something else if anyone has any other suggestions)
6: Leap Attack
9: Shocktrooper

As for the Knight of the Raven suggestion.... I don't know if my DM will allow it since one of the requirements is physically impossible to attain considering we are in a homebrew world but I will see if he will allow it.

Cog
2011-06-17, 11:00 AM
As for the Knight of the Raven suggestion.... I don't know if my DM will allow it since one of the requirements is physically impossible to attain considering we are in a homebrew world but I will see if he will allow it.
None of the class's actual abilities are really very closely tied to the setting; it's got an undead focus, but plenty of divine PrCs do. It shouldn't be hard at all to adapt, or to even just pick up the organization and drop it into another world.

Seerow
2011-06-17, 11:08 AM
If you miss the DMM you could always dip into Sacred Exorcist to pick up turning so you can get it... not having persisted -or- quickened buffs leads to playing a melee favored soul being really quite sad. On that note, you will likely want to pick up Rapid Metamagic, to allow you to use quicken spell. Doubly so if you do get DMM.

Also, versatile spellcaster does nothing for you as a straight favored soul. Unless I'm horribly misremembering it won't raise your CL above your character level, so taking it at level 1 does nothing at all for you.

Morbis Meh
2011-06-17, 11:15 AM
Also, versatile spellcaster does nothing for you as a straight favored soul. Unless I'm horribly misremembering it won't raise your CL above your character level, so taking it at level 1 does nothing at all for you.

Versatile Spell caster allows you to take 2 spells of a lower level and convert them to a spell one level higher, which I think is extremely useful later on. I will ask about Knight of the Raven.

mamothpriest
2011-06-17, 11:16 AM

versatile spellcaster lets a spontaneous caster use two lower level spell slots in place of one higher (Ie: 2 lvl 1's for a lvl 2). I think you're thinking about practiced spellcaster

Edit: Ninja'd by OP lol

Seerow
2011-06-17, 11:23 AM
You're right, I was thinking Practiced Spellcaster. Whoops.