PDA

View Full Version : Sources for Damage Reduction?

Yorae
2011-06-17, 01:40 PM
What are some sources for gaining DR? Preferably not DR/Magic or DR/Evil, since those would be overcome very often by the character I have in mind...

I know barbarians gain DR/- (though this character is not a barbarian)...
I also know that Adamantine armor/shields grant DR/-. If I had Adamantine Full Plate and also and Adamantine Heavy Shield, would the DR stack? (assuming no, but I could be wrong). Working on a character whose main purpose is to soak up damage and I was hoping of finding some good way(s) to keep him from kicking the bucket anytime soon.

Amphetryon
2011-06-17, 01:44 PM
Roll With It, from Savage Species, provides stacking DR/-.

Apophis
2011-06-17, 01:45 PM
SRD
If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation.

No, it won't stack.

I'm not sure about other ways to get DR.

hivedragon
2011-06-17, 01:47 PM
favored soul
warlock varient from PHB2
several warforged feats

Moriato
2011-06-17, 01:56 PM
No, it won't stack.

I'm not sure about other ways to get DR.

Except that the Roll With It feat specifically says that it does stack with other forms of damage reduction, and that it can be taken multiple times. Of course I'm pretty sure Savage Species was 3.0 so take that as you will.

myancey
2011-06-17, 02:05 PM
Yeah, it's 3.0. And they don't have any errata for the source, as far as I'm aware. Beautiful feat though.

Ask your DM to use this:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm

Amnestic
2011-06-17, 02:18 PM
The Fey Heritage Feats in Complete Mage give DR X/Cold Iron based on how many of the feats you have. It's 1+Number of Fey Heritage feats, and since there's only five of 'em (not that you'd really want to spend any more feats there) you're capped at a mere DR 6/Cold Iron.

Unseelie Fey template (LA+0) gives some DR Cold Iron based on HD, capping at 15 from 12HD and above. Has an Evil alignment requirement though.

tyckspoon
2011-06-17, 02:19 PM
The Mineral Warrior template provides natural armor, a Con bonus, and DR 8/Adamantine for 1 LA. It's about the most efficient way to get DR in a high-ish number that I know of; very cost-efficient for a defensive build, and it doesn't require setting all your feats on fire.

Anxe
2011-06-17, 02:25 PM
1 level in Psychic Warrior can get you the Biofeedback power which gives you DR 2/-.

WinWin
2011-06-17, 02:27 PM
Stoneskin?

Telonius
2011-06-17, 02:32 PM
Dwarven Defender gets DR as a class feature.

Vampire template gives DR 10/silver and magic.
Lycanthropes get DR 10/silver in their hybrid and animal forms.
Lich gets DR 15/bludgeoning and magic.

Andmcmuffin2
2011-06-17, 02:37 PM
Unseelie Fey template (LA+0) gives some DR Cold Iron based on HD, capping at 15 from 12HD and above. Has an Evil alignment requirement though.

Unseelie Fey does come with a significant problem though- unless the DM is assigning the traits, you randomize them. Ending up with dragon wings is great and all, until you end up with 30 foot tremorsense.

FMArthur
2011-06-17, 02:37 PM
Stone Dragon maneuvers can give you DR, and the Crusader class can delay damage as a form of pseudo-DR as well as give you access to Stone Dragon and Devoted Spirit maneuvers. It's easily the tankiest base class in the game.

Draz74
2011-06-17, 02:39 PM
Really, there are too many options to list.

Magic Item Compendium has a whole two pages of items starting with "Shirt of ..." that provide 3 DR. Price varies from 9000 to 15000 depending what overcomes the DR. They're all overpriced in my book.

dextercorvia
2011-06-17, 02:50 PM
Unseelie Fey does come with a significant problem though- unless the DM is assigning the traits, you randomize them. Ending up with dragon wings is great and all, until you end up with 30 foot tremorsense.

Unseelie Fey specifically says you can choose or roll.

Amnestic
2011-06-17, 02:53 PM

I would view such a thing as an interesting roleplaying challenge personally, but for the record:

Many fey have wings. Some of them are mere
vestiges unable to support the weight of the unseelie
fey, but most are usable, enabling the creature to fly
at twice the base creature's normal speed (average
maneuverability). A base creature that normally has
wings might have wings unusual for its kind. Wings
can be of any type listed on the following table. Select
the wings or roll randomly (see the table below).

The bolded section clearly implies that it is the player - not the DM - who selects the wing (and by extension, the vision) choices if they do not decide to roll randomly.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-17, 03:08 PM
Stone Dragon maneuvers can give you DR, and the Crusader class can delay damage as a form of pseudo-DR as well as give you access to Stone Dragon and Devoted Spirit maneuvers. It's easily the tankiest base class in the game.

Except for stone bones from level 1-3, those maneuvers are terrible. You give up a full attack for DR 10/adamantine for one round at 11th level.

Ernir
2011-06-17, 03:29 PM
What is your reason for specifically wanting damage reduction? There may be an alternate form of defense against the attack type that worries you.

Yorae
2011-06-17, 03:38 PM
What is your reason for specifically wanting damage reduction? There may be an alternate form of defense against the attack type that worries you.

Pretty much standard hit point damage. He's a tank with a fair amount of casting and I wanted to use Shield Other (and possibly Glory of the Martyr from BoED - multi-target Shield Other, basically) copiously and also be fighting in melee without utterly destroying myself. He needs to be a big ol' damage sponge that can't die. Fast Healing would be nice as well, but he already has Healing Devotion, so that's pretty much covered.

Big Fau
2011-06-17, 03:59 PM
Ask your DM to use this:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm

Don't actually ask your DM to do this. All it does is hurt armor's one strong point (which it all ready was fairly weak at) while providing a negligible benefit that gets outpaced by level 3.

Kantolin
2011-06-17, 09:04 PM
If you get your DR from a classfeature, the damage reduction from teh "Breastplate of Terror" In the magic item compendium expressly stacks with 'DR from a class feature'. It's on page 192 in the MiC.

An Ironsoul forgemaster (Magic of Incarnum prestige class, page 127) then gets 'armour bond', which gives you damage reduction that stacks with armour as well, so those two should stack together.

Zaq
2011-06-17, 09:24 PM
Incarnates can get decent DR. They're nice in that they can get it at very low levels. The Astral Vambraces give DR 2/magic, increasing by 2 per point of essentia. The Adamant Pauldrons give you DR equal to your essentia investment that's pierced by your opposite . . . a Law Incarnate putting 3 essentia into them would have DR 3/Chaos.

MeeposFire
2011-06-17, 09:30 PM
There are also elemental earth grafts in magic of eberron which as a passive benefit gives you DR/- equal to the number of earth based grafts-1 that stacks with all sources of DR/-.