PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stormwatcher - Debuffer/Healer (PEACH)

Girshtop
2011-06-17, 05:55 PM
Stormwatcher

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/21445/Angel-Tornado-Lightning-Sky.jpg
“You wish to use the weather to defeat me?? You are a fool; I AM the weather!”
- While conjuring a lightning storm, Taryn Cloudborne, a Stormwatcher

While a Druid sees nature as a thing to be revered, a Stormwatcher sees it as a force to be mastered. Where Wizards conjure magical weather to wreck havoc, Stormwatchers summon natural thunderstorms that dwarf them in comparison. A Stormwatcher is the ruler of the open skies. While he can summon clouds, wind, rain, and snow, he may also control the natural weather itself to strike down a foe or aid an ally. A Stormwatcher is never more at home than when he is in the middle of a thunderstorm.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Stormwatchers have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Wisdom determines how powerful a spell the Stormwatcher can cast, how many spells he can cast per day, and how hard those spells are to resist. Being inside a Storm is taxing, so a high constitution score is important for a Stormwatcher. Since a Stormwatcher may wear only light armor, a high dexterity improves their defensive ability.
Alignment: Any, although many Stormwatchers inspired by the unrestrained weather they follow lean towards chaos.
Hit Die: d6.
Starting Age: As druid.
Starting Gold: As druid.

Class Skills
The Stormwatcher's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Balance (Dex)Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str).
Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Stormwatcher
{table=head]Level|
Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|
Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Healing Rain, Weather Eye, Eye in the Sky|6|3

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Wintertouched, Gust of Wind|6|4

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Eye in the Sky, Healing Rain|6|5

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Storm Magic, Gust of Wind|6|6|3

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|One with the Storm (1/day), Energy Resistance|6|6|4

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Gust of Wind, Foreboding Weather, Eye in the Sky, Ominous Clouds|6|6|5|3

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|One with the Storm (2/day), Gone with the Wind (10'), Healing Rain|6|6|6|4

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|One with the Storm (Storm)|6|6|6|5|3

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|One with the Storm (3/day), Mist Form|6|6|6|6|4

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|One with the Storm (Large), Ominous Clouds, Energy Resistance|6|6|6|6|5|3

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|One with the Storm (4/day), Eye in the Sky|6|6|6|6|6|4

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|One with the Storm (Large Storm), Foreboding Weather|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|One with the Storm (5/day), Gone with the Wind (20')|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Ominous Clouds|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|One with the Storm (6/day), Energy Resistance|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Foreboding Weather, Eye in the Sky|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|One with the Storm (7/day), Gone with the Wind (30')|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Ominous Clouds|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|One with the Storm (8/day)|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Foreboding Weather|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6[/table]

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the Stormwatcher:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Stormwatchers are proficient with all simple weapons. They are proficient with light armor, and with shields (except tower shields). Like druids, Stormwatchers are forbidden to wear metal armor or shields, although this is due to more practical reasoning (i.e. being the center of an electrical storm). A Stormwatcher who wears prohibited armor or shield is unable to cast Stormwatcher spells or use any of his abilities until he removes it.

Spellcasting: A Stormwatcher casts divine spells, which are drawn from the Stormwatcher’s spell list (see below). Like a sorcerer, he can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. When a Stormwatcher gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level given on the Stormwatcher’s spell list.

Healing Rain (Ex):
This ability works as the spell Healing Lorecall (Spell Compendium, page 110), but with the following changes: At level 1, You can substitute your total ranks in Heal for your caster level when determining the amount of rounds that your vigor spells last. The normal caster level limit for individual spells still applies.
At level 3, a Stormwatcher can use any vigor spell to remove all of the following conditions affecting the subject of the spell, in addition to the spell’s normal effects: dazed, dazzled, or fatigued.
At Level 7, a Stormwatcher can choose from the following conditions in addition to those above: exhausted, nauseated, or sickened. Note that the effects are only removed on the first round of healing; a fighter that becomes dazed while already being affected by a lesser vigor spell will not have the dazed effect be removed. The Stormwatcher must cast a new vigor spell to remove the status effect.

Weather Eye (Ex):
A Stormwatcher can more accurately predict the natural weather than his counterparts. With a successful survival check of 10, a Stormwatcher can predict the weather for the next 48 hours. For every 5 points by which the Survival check exceeds 10, he can predict the weather for one additional day (to a maximum of one week).
Additionally, if unnatural forces currently affect the weather, then Weather Eye reveals the spells or abilities in effect, though not the source of those abilities. A Stormwatcher can also predict the weather for the day without a skill check while praying for his spells at the beginning of the day.

Eye in the Sky (Ex):
A Stormwatcher’s senses are more adjusted to life in a storm. Starting at level 1, a Stormwatcher is not as effected by weather conditions as other humanoids. Moderate natural weather conditions such as snow, hail, rain, light fog and strong winds (21 mph) do not raise the difficulty on Spot, Listen, and Search checks. When in a dense fog (such as an Obscuring Mist spell, or any similar effect) a Stormwatcher may make a spot check of 10 + spell level (for non-magical fog the DC is a flat 10) to see through the fog as if it was not there. A Stormwatcher only needs to succeed once to see through the fog until the effect ends, and can retry once per round. Upon reaching level 3, a Stormwatcher may grant this ability to allies within 30’ of him, as long as he concentrates (equivalent of a standard action).
At level 6, a Stormwatcher can grant this ability as a move equivalent action. At level 9, this becomes an immediate action, and affects all allies within 50’ of him.
Additionally, Stormwatcher's gain a +3 competence bonus to Spot and Listen checks at level 1. This bonus increases by +3 at levels 6, 11, and 16.

Wintertouched (Ex):
This ability works like the granted ability of the windstorm domain (Spell Compendium, page 282). Inclement weather has less of an effect on a Stormwatcher. You can move through snow-covered and icy terrain at your normal movement. Wind effects, whether natural or magical, affect you as if you were one size category larger. A Stormwatcher does not need to make a concentration check when casting spells or using any class abilities in any sort of natural or magical weather conditions.

Gust of Wind (Sp):
This ability works as the Gust of Wind spell, but with the following changes:
The Stormwatcher may use this ability at level 2 once every minute.
At level 4, a Stormwatcher can use this once every 3 rounds.
At level 6, a Stormwatcher can use this at will.
The DC is equal to 10 plus his caster level.

Storm Magic:
At level 4, a Stormwatcher gains Storm Magic (Stormwrack) as a bonus feat.

One with the Storm (Su):
When you cast this spell, choose an element (air or water). You assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a Small or Medium air or water elemental. One with the Storm also grants you the elemental subtype appropriate to the chosen element.
Upon changing, the subject regains lost hit points as if he had rested for a night (though this healing does not restore temporary ability damage and provide other benefits of resting; and changing back does not heal the subject further). If slain, the subject reverts back to its original form, though it remains dead.
You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution, and your natural armor bonus increases by 2. You gain a +4 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and abilities. There is a 25% chance that critical hits and sneak attacks scored on you are negated. You gain a Slam attack, dealing 1d8 points of damage. You cannot cast spells, and you lose any spell-like, supernatural, and extraordinary abilities of your own form. You gain additional abilities depending on the element you chose when you cast the spell: Air: Fly speed 20 feet (perfect), whirlwind (MM 95). Water: Swim 90 feet, drench (MM 101). Your equipment melds into your new form and becomes nonfunctional.
One with the Storm lasts for 1 minute per Stormwatcher level, or until he changes back. Changing form (to elemental or back) is a standard action and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. A Stormwatcher can cast this ability 1 per day. At level 7, and every odd Stormwatcher level after that, he gains the ability to use it an additional time per day.

At 8th level, a Stormwatcher can use this ability to change into a Small or Medium Storm Elemental (MM3 50), gaining the above mentioned bonuses as well as the abilities Shock and Thunder and Lightning.
Shock (Su): Once per round as a free action, a storm elemental can deliver an electrical shock to a single opponent within 10 feet. This attack deals nonlethal electricity damage to living opponents (Fortitude half). The save DC is based on the Stormwatcher level. At medium size shock deals 2d4 points of nonlethal damage.
Thunder and Lightning (Su): Once every 4 rounds as a full-round action, a storm elemental can emit a blast of thunder coupled with a bolt of lightning. The thunder deals sonic damage dealing 2d6 points of damage (at medium size) to all creatures in a 30 foot cone in front of the storm elemental. A Fortitude save halves this damage.The lightning is a 120-foot-long line that deals electricity damage dealing 4d6 points of damage (at medium size). A Reflex save halves this damage. The save DCs are based on the Stormwatcher level.
While in Storm elemental form you retain all of your supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities.

At 10th level, a Stormwatcher can use this ability to change into a Large Air or Water Elemental, gaining a +4 to Strength, Constitution, and natural armor, a +8 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and abilities, and a 50% chance that critical hits and sneak attacks scored on you are negated. Your Slam attack increases to 2d8 points of damage. You gain additional abilities depending on the element you chose when you cast the spell: Air: Fly speed 50 feet (perfect), Whirlwind (MM 95). Water: Swim 150 feet, drench (MM 101), Vortex (MM 101).

At 12th level, a Stormwatcher can change into a Large Storm Elemental. At large size Shock deals 4d4 points of nonlethal damage, and Thunder and Lightning deal 4d6 and 8d6, respectively.

Energy Resistance (Ex): At 5th level, a Stormwatcher gains resistance 10 electricity. At 10th level, the Stormwatcher’s resistance increases to 15, and gains resistance 10 cold. At 15th level, these bonuses increase to 20 electricity and 15 cold.

Foreboding Weather (Su):
As a Stormwatcher advances in his abilities, he begins to assert more control over the natural weather in his area. Beginning at level 6, a Stormwatcher may summon dark clouds to cover the sky over his immediate area. The cloud blocks direct sunlight, though creatures vulnerable to the sun are still affected. The cloud has a radius of 200’ centered around the Stormwatcher, and it follows him up to a speed of 120’ per round. Summoning and dismissing the cloud requires a full round action, and it takes an hour to form or dissipate.

At level 12, The dark clouds can be hastily formed or dissapated by severe winds (natural or magical, i.e. Gust of Wind), making them appear or evaporate in 10 minutes, and can create rain.

At level 16, the Stormwatcher is so attuned to the weather that he can create the dark clouds immediately by concentrating as a full round action. Further, the clouds cover 400’ centered around him, can create heavy rain, and can be so dark that they completely block out the sun, preventing any vulnerabilities to sunlight.

At level 20, the Stormwatcher is at the peak of his powers. The cloud now covers 600’ above him, and as a full round action, he can call down thunderous lightning to anywhere under the clouds, dealing 1d10 points of electrical damage. The Stormwatcher may call down 1 bolt per Stormwatcher level per round, dealing 1d10, though each 5’ square may only be hit by 2 bolts per round.

Gone with the Wind (Ex):
A Stormwatcher flourishes in severe weather conditions. In heavy rain, thick snowfall, dense fog, etc. a Stormwatcher moves at 10 feet faster than his normal movement speed.
At level 13, this movement speed bonus increases an additional 10 feet.
At level 17, this movement speed bonus applies even when there are slight weather conditions, as well as increasing the bonus by an additional 10 feet.

Ominous Clouds (Su):
As a Stormwatcher grows in power, so too do the clouds above him. Whenever he is under cloudy conditions, his Call Lightning and Call Lightning Storm spells are joined by thunder, dealing an additional 1d4 of sonic damage per 4 Stormwatcher levels. This damage increases to 1d6’s at level 10, 1d8’s at level 14, and 1d10’s at level 18. This ability works with Foreboding Weather at 20th level.

Mist Form (Su):
A Stormwatcher is so in tune with the rain that he can actually become a part of it. At level 9 a Stormwatcher may use his Mist Form once per day for every 3 Stormwatcher levels. It is similar to the spell Gaseous Form with the exceptions noted below.
A Stormwatcher may only use his Mist Form if there is some kind of precipitation. He is also unaffected by wind conditions around him while he is in Mist Form (unless he wishes to be).

Stormwatcher Spell List:

Though Some spells on the list appear as arcane spells, a Stormwatcher casts these as divine spells. Only a Stormwatcher may cast from his list.

0 Level: Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Flare, Light, Resistance, Virtue, Ray of frost

1st Level: Animate Water, Cloudburst, Endure Elements, Lesser Vigor, Obscuring Mist, Snowshoes, Thunderhead, Wall of Smoke, Winter Chill

2nd Level: Fog Cloud, Frost Breath, Binding Winds, Blindness/Deafness, Levitate, Master Air, Mountain Stance, Resist Energy, Whispering Winds, Wind Wall, Winter’s Embrace

3rd Level: Air Breathing, Capricious Zephyr, Call Lightning, Downdraft, Fly, Haste, Hypothermia, Mass Lesser Vigor, Mass Resist Energy, Mass Snowshoes, Quench, Slow, Thunderous Roar, Vigor

4th Level: Air Walk, Arc of Lightning, Control Water, Eye of the Hurricane, Freedom of Movement, Ice Storm, Murderous Mist, Rushing Waters, Solid Fog, Wall of Water, Wind at Back

5th Level: Call Lightning Storm, Cold Snap, Control Winds, Freeze, Greater Vigor, Mass Fly

6th Level: Acid Fog, Chain Lightning, Cloud-walkers, Drown, Energy Immunity, Enveloping Cocoon, Summon Greater Elemental (Air or Water), Superior Resistance, Tidal Surge, Vigorous Circle

7th Level: Control Weather, Storm of Elemental Fury, Storm Tower, Waterspout, Wind Walk

8th Level: Maelstrom, Reverse Gravity, Stormrage, Whirlwind

9th Level: Elemental Swarm (Air or Water), Greater Whirlwind, Mass Drown, Summon Elemental Monolith (Air or Water), Storm of Vengeance, Tsunami

Creator Notes
Personally I love playing support characters. I especially love healing, in any game I play. I don't know what it is, I just always thought that it's the most interesting. I am also a big fan of druids, I really enjoy the unique flavour they have, their respect and connection to the natural world. I built this character based off a character that I had actually made in City of Heroes a couple years back. He was a support hero that controlled weather, primarily a debuffer, but also buffed and some heal. Merging that character concept and the druid I came up with this character. I wanted someone that could really bring battlefield control to the table, while not becoming super overpowered while doing it.

Like I said above, I really like healing, but I get tired fast of playing the healing cleric, so I wanted to try something new with this character. His healing will come from Heal over time spells, giving fast healing with vigor, and some bonus stuff from his Healing Rain ability. I see the flavour of the vigor spells as a healing mist that heals characters over time.

Some places where I know I could use some help in is
1) One with the Storm progression - I don't want it to be "the class ability" of the Stormwatcher (kind of how the druids is wild shape), I just want it to still be viable in later levels. Maybe allow spellcasting during it at higher levels?
2) Spells - I'm not sure if its too OP to take both divine and arcane spells, so I tried to really take some cool flavour spells rather than game-breakingly powerful ones.
3) Later Levels - Personally I'm not very experienced playing characters in the upper levels - My highest character was an ECL 16, and I only got to play it for two sessions. I'm kind of new to higher levels, so I don't know how well this stuff compares with other higher level abilities.

This is my first attempt at anything homebrew, so any feedback whatsoever would be fantastic. Thanks very much in advance and feel free to post suggestions, criticisms, any errors, or anything else.

I can't stress enough that I don't mean for this character to be super-powerful at all. I created him with a flavour-first mentality. I want him to be very specific support (debuff, with very slow but powerful heals), and I don't want for him to overshadow any other classes - except with his clouds. (Ya, I'm ending with a lame joke, deal with it.)

Edits:
1) Changed him from both a divine and arcane spellcaster to just a divine caster (All of the spells on his list are now treated as divine spells).
Also gave him bonus to spot and listen checks in the Eye in the Sky ability. - Thanks to jiriku for the advice.
2) Changed Healing Rain to be solely based on ranks rather than levels. Changed Ominous Clouds ability from level 8 to 6.
Changed One with the Storm to give a bonus to physical stats, rather than change them entirely (like a Druid's Wild Shape)
Changed his Hit Die to d6, and took away his proficiency with medium armor - Thanks to Dralnu.
3) Added "A Stormwatcher does not need to make a concentration check in any sort of natural or magical weather conditions" in the Wintertouched ability.
4) Fixed Wintertouched so that Stormwatcher doesn't have to make concentration checks for casting or using class abilities in weather, not everything.
Ominous Clouds now works with Foreboding Weather at 20th level.
Gust of Wind is now a (Sp)
Made Healing Rain scale per level, rather than ranks in Heal skill - Thanks to Kellus
5) Added "Changing form (to elemental or back) is a standard action and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity." to One with the Storm - Thanks to Palanan
Added a slam attack to One with the Storm that increases in damage with size
Added the ability to breathe underwater in water elemental form in One with the Storm.

jiriku
2011-06-17, 08:02 PM
Well-executed. I can offer only minor tweaks.

I would suggest that, while the spell progression you've chosen is standard for spontaneous casters, most D&D casters get far more spells per day than they know what to do with. Further, with a solid hit and attack progression, proficiency with decent weapons and armor, and the ability to turn into an elemental at higher levels, and many spells with long durations, the stormwatcher doesn't need to be casting every round. You could grant fewer maximum spells at each level (say, 4 or 5 instead of 6) and still do quite well.

Call lightning and call lightning storm are very weak spells for their level. You might consider granting them a level sooner, or giving the storm caller extra damage dice or a much larger die size when using them (like getting d12s in fair weather and dealing double damage in a storm).

The short duration of One with the Storm was a good call. I'd suggest you not allow spellcasting in elemental form unless playtesting shows that the feature is useless at high levels without that tweak.

Mixing divine and arcane lists is not a problem, but I'd suggest you make the stormwatcher cast the spells as either all divine or all arcane, regardless of the original source of the spell. This limits shenanigans. Also, consider a specific limitation that these cross-power-source spells can't be cast by other casters, even if placed in a scroll or spellbook. This also limits shenanigans.

Girshtop
2011-06-18, 12:17 AM
Call lightning and call lightning storm are very weak spells for their level. You might consider granting them a level sooner, or giving the storm caller extra damage dice or a much larger die size when using them (like getting d12s in fair weather and dealing double damage in a storm).

I really wanted call lightning and call lightning storm to be the Stormwatcher's primary damage spells. I did buff the damage on them with the Ominous Clouds special ability. Do you it this isn't a high enough bonus? Again, I didn't want the Stormwatcher to be a nuker, just have the potential to dish out some damage when needed. With the synergy of Foreboding Weather (always having cloudy conditions) and Ominous Clouds together, you could always have 3d10 electricity +2d4 sonic damage from call lightning at level 8. Is that still too low?

I'd suggest you make the stormwatcher cast the spells as either all divine or all arcane, regardless of the original source of the spell.

I Didn't know I could change that without breaking anything too much. Will definitely fix that up.

P.S. I just took a look at your Stormlord class, and I like some of your special abilities. Blindsense is a great way to get away with always having an obscuring mist on yourself. Plus if you don't mind I might just steal your bonuses to spot and listen..:smallbiggrin:

Dralnu
2011-06-18, 02:56 PM
Very cool class! Love the flavor of it and some nice abilities. If it helps, here's my critiques:

1) D8 health, medium BAB, two good saves, decent skillset, good armor / weapon set. Looks like a support fighter.

2) Full spellcaster, spontaneous and gets all its spells, but the spells known are limited. Similar to Beguilar / Warblade / Dread Necromancer. I'm not going to look up all of them, but they look like fun and balanced spells. Thumbs up!

3) Class abilities:

Spellcasting: A Stormwatcher casts both divine and arcane spells, which are drawn from the Stormwatcher’s spell list (see below). Unlike most arcane spellcasters, a Stormwatcher does not have an arcane spell failure chance when casting arcane spells from his list. Like a sorcerer, he can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. When a Stormwatcher gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level given on the Stormwatcher’s spell list.

I'd say he's a divine spellcaster and leave it at that. There's no spell failure when he's divine.

Healing Rain (Ex):
This ability works as the spell Healing Lorecall, but with the following changes: At level 1, You can substitute your total ranks in Heal for your caster level when determining the amount of rounds that your vigor spells last. The normal caster level limit for individual spells still applies.
At level 3, a Stormwatcher with 5 or more ranks in Heal can use any vigor spell to remove all of the following conditions affecting the subject of the spell, in addition to the spell’s normal effects: dazed, dazzled, or fatigued. A caster with 10 or more ranks in Heal can choose from the following conditions in addition to those above: exhausted, nauseated, or sickened. Note that the effects are only removed on the first round of healing; a fighter that becomes dazed while already being affected by a lesser vigor spell will not have the dazed effect be removed. The Stormwatcher must cast a new vigor spell to remove the status effect.

Probably my favorite ability because I love the image of a healing rain. It's an ability that the party will greatly appreciate. I'd change a couple things though:
- healing lorecall needs better citation (what book is it from? page?) or just paste the entire thing here
- "at level 3" seems random, I'd say instead "at 6 ranks..."

Weather Eye (Ex):
A Stormwatcher can more accurately predict the natural weather than his counterparts. With a successful survival check of 10, a Stormwatcher can predict the weather for the next 48 hours. For every 5 points by which the Survival check exceeds 10, he can predict the weather for one additional day (to a maximum of one week).
Additionally, if unnatural forces currently affect the weather, then Weather Eye reveals the spells or abilities in effect, though not the source of those abilities. A Stormwatcher can also predict the weather for the day without a skill check while praying for his spells at the beginning of the day.

Flavorful but boring and a little redundant (Survival does this already). I don't think it warrants a class ability. I'd drop this.

Eye in the Sky (Ex):
A Stormwatcher’s senses are more adjusted to life in a storm. Starting at level 1, a Stormwatcher is not as effected by weather conditions as other humanoids. Moderate natural weather conditions such as snow, hail, rain, light fog and strong winds (21 mph) do not raise the difficulty on Spot, Listen, and Search checks. When in a dense fog (such as an Obscuring Mist spell, or any similar effect) a Stormwatcher may make a spot check of 10 + spell level (for non-magical fog the DC is a flat 10) to see through the fog as if it was not there. A Stormwatcher only needs to succeed once to see through the fog until the effect ends, and can retry once per round. Upon reaching level 3, a Stormwatcher may grant this ability to allies within 30’ of him, as long as he concentrates (equivalent of a standard action).
At level 6, a Stormwatcher can grant this ability as a move equivalent action. At level 9, this becomes an immediate action, and affects all allies within 50’ of him.

Nice. I like this.

Wintertouched (Ex):
This ability works like the granted ability of the windstorm domain. Inclement weather has less of an effect on a Stormwatcher. Rain and snow don’t penalize your Spot and Search checks. You can move through snow-covered and icy terrain at your normal movement. Wind effects, whether natural or magical, affect you as if you were one size category larger.

Again, need citation on where this windstorm domain is from, or just paste the ability. The bolded part was already covered in your Eye in the Sky ability. Otherwise looks good.

Gust of Wind (Su):
This ability works as the Gust of Wind spell, but with the following changes:
The Stormwatcher may use this ability at level 2 once every minute.
At level 4, a Stormwatcher can use this once every 3 rounds.
At level 6, a Stormwatcher can use this at will.

I don't see why it's broken up into parts since "once every minute" may as well be "at will" for practical purposes. I'd simply make it an at-will Gust of Wind right off the bat. If it's too powerful at level 2, then level 4 would be fine.

Storm Magic:
At level 4, a Stormwatcher gains Storm Magic (Stormwrack) as a bonus feat.

Nice.

One with the Storm (Su):
This ability is similar to the Druid’s Wildshape ability, except for noted below:
When you cast this spell, choose an element (air or water). You assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a Small or Medium air or water elemental. One with the Storm also grants you the elemental subtype appropriate to the chosen element.
You gain a +4 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and abilities. There is a 25% chance that critical hits and sneak attacks scored on you are negated. You cannot cast spells, and you lose any spell-like, supernatural, and extraordinary abilities of your own form. You gain additional abilities depending on the element you chose when you cast the spell: Air: Fly speed 20 feet (perfect), whirlwind (MM 95). Water: Swim 90 feet, drench (MM 101). Your equipment melds into your new form and becomes nonfunctional.
One with the Storm lasts for 1 minute per Stormwatcher level, or until he changes back. A Stormwatcher can cast this ability 1 per day. At level 7, and every odd Stormwatcher level after that, he gains the ability to use it an additional time per day.

At 8th level, a Stormwatcher can use this ability to change into a Small or Medium Storm Elemental (MM3 50), gaining the above mentioned bonuses as well as the abilities Shock and Thunder and Lightning.
Shock (Su): Once per round as a free action, a storm elemental can deliver an electrical shock to a single opponent within 10 feet. This attack deals nonlethal electricity damage to living opponents (Fortitude half). The save DC is based on the Stormwatcher level. At medium size shock deals 2d4 points of nonlethal damage.
Thunder and Lightning (Su): Once every 4 rounds as a full-round action, a storm elemental can emit a blast of thunder coupled with a bolt of lightning. The thunder deals sonic damage dealing 2d6 points of damage (at medium size) to all creatures in a 30 foot cone in front of the storm elemental. A Fortitude save halves this damage.The lightning is a 120-foot-long line that deals electricity damage dealing 4d6 points of damage (at medium size). A Reflex save halves this damage. The save DCs are based on the Stormwatcher level.
While in Storm elemental form you retain all of your supernatural and extraordinary abilities.

At 10th level, a Stormwatcher can use this ability to change into a Large Air or Water Elemental, gaining a +8 bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and abilities, and a 50% chance that critical hits and sneak attacks scored on you are negated. You gain additional abilities depending on the element you chose when you cast the spell: Air: Fly speed 50 feet (perfect), Whirlwind (MM 95). Water: Swim 150 feet, drench (MM 101), Vortex (MM 101).
At 12th level, a Stormwatcher can change into a Large Storm Elemental. At large size Shock deals 4d4 points of nonlethal damage, and Thunder and Lightning deal 4d6 and 8d6, respectively.

I'm not a fan of Wildshape automatically swapping out your crummy physical dump stats for super awesome new ones for free. I much prefer the wildshape variant in PHB2 that instead gives you boosts to your physical stats instead of replacing them. I think it would flow much better with the class, especially considering you'd be augmenting an already strong support fighter base which you haven't been supporting up until this point.

Energy Resistance (Ex): At 5th level, a Stormwatcher gains resistance 10 electricity. At 10th level, the Stormwatcher’s resistance increases to 15, and gains resistance 10 cold. At 15th level, these bonuses increase to 20 electricity and 15 cold.

This looks fine, though I would think that the Stormwatcher would have a spell by now to cover resistances.

Foreboding Weather (Su):
As a Stormwatcher advances in his abilities, he begins to assert more control over the natural weather in his area. Beginning at level 6, a Stormwatcher may summon dark clouds to cover the sky over his immediate area. The cloud blocks direct sunlight, though creatures vulnerable to the sun are still affected. The cloud has a radius of 200’ centered around the Stormwatcher, and it follows him up to a speed of 120’ per round. Summoning and dismissing the cloud requires a full round action, and it takes an hour to form or dissipate.

At level 12, The dark clouds can be hastily formed or dissapated by severe winds (natural or magical, i.e. Gust of Wind), making them appear or evaporate in 10 minutes, and can create rain.

At level 16, the Stormwatcher is so attuned to the weather that he can create the dark clouds immediately by concentrating as a full round action. Further, the clouds cover 400’ centered around him, can create heavy rain, and can be so dark that they completely block out the sun, preventing any vulnerabilities to sunlight.

At level 20, the Stormwatcher is at the peak of his powers. The cloud now covers 600’ above him, and as a full round action, he can call down thunderous lightning to anywhere under the clouds, dealing 1d10 points of electrical damage. The Stormwatcher may call down 1 bolt per Stormwatcher level per round, dealing 1d10, though each 5’ square may only be hit by 2 bolts per round.

Cool.

Gone with the Wind (Ex):
A Stormwatcher flourishes in severe weather conditions. In heavy rain, thick snowfall, dense fog, etc. a Stormwatcher moves at 10 feet faster than his normal movement speed.
At level 13, this movement speed bonus increases an additional 10 feet.
At level 17, this movement speed bonus applies even when there are slight weather conditions, as well as increasing the bonus by an additional 10 feet.

Nice.

Ominous Clouds (Su):
As a Stormwatcher grows in power, so too do the clouds above him. Whenever he is under cloudy conditions, his Call Lightning and Call Lightning Storm spells are joined by thunder, dealing an additional 1d4 of sonic damage per 4 Stormwatcher levels. This damage increases to 1d6’s at level 10, 1d8’s at level 14, and 1d10’s at level 18.

I like this, but I think this could start at level 5.

Mist Form (Su):
A Stormwatcher is so in tune with the rain that he can actually become a part of it. At level 9 a Stormwatcher may use his Mist Form once for every 3 Stormwatcher levels. It is similar to the spell Gaseous Form with the exceptions noted below.
A Stormwatcher may only use his Mist Form if there is some kind of precipitation. He is also unaffected by wind conditions around him while he is in Mist Form (unless he wishes to be).

I'd make it at-will for simplicity's sake.

So the class abilities allow you to conjure storms and thrive in those environments, which is exactly I'd want/expect. Straightforward, elegant, and a clear plan. Well done!

I think the base stats are a little too good. It beats out the similar spellcasters, Dread Necromancer / Beguiler / Warmage, all of which have d6, worse armor, one good save, and bad BAB. Maybe lower the HP to d6 and the armor proficiency to light? The wildshape would shore up these weaknesses anyway, such as +CON and +natural armor.

If you're at a loss for new spells to add, I suggest refluffing some existing spells. Even Wizards does this in some of their books, such as making up "cone of fire (as cone of cold but fire damage)."

Great class!

Bob the DM
2011-06-18, 11:58 PM
Very neat. Although, now if you have trouble with a goblin tribe that worships a shaman who controls the weather you have no one to blame but yourself. I call dibs on naming him "The Forcastinator"

Girshtop
2011-06-21, 10:29 AM
Flavorful but boring and a little redundant (Survival does this already). I don't think it warrants a class ability. I'd drop this.
Yes, Survival does this, but a Stormwatcher does this better. :smallbiggrin: I want a Stormwatcher to feel like he has a closer connection with the weather than a ranger with a high survival check does.

I don't see why it's broken up into parts since "once every minute" may as well be "at will" for practical purposes. I'd simply make it an at-will Gust of Wind right off the bat. If it's too powerful at level 2, then level 4 would be fine.

I personally like it as is, as once every minute (10 rounds in a minute) essentially means "once per encounter" at lower levels. I think that's enough for combat situations.

Plus, have you thought of the out-of-combat possibilities? What ship wouldn't want a Stormwatcher blowing wind in their sails?

I'm not a fan of Wildshape automatically swapping out your crummy physical dump stats for super awesome new ones for free. I much prefer the wildshape variant in PHB2 that instead gives you boosts to your physical stats instead of replacing them. I think it would flow much better with the class, especially considering you'd be augmenting an already strong support fighter base which you haven't been supporting up until this point.

You're absolutely right. It was my intention to just have this ability heal you as if you slept a night like the wild shape ability. I didn't realize at the time it would swap out your physical stats. I have since changed the ability to be a bonus to physical stats. Great advice.

This looks fine, though I would think that the Stormwatcher would have a spell by now to cover resistances.

Yea, but the idea is that he's just more physically resistant to electricity and cold, rather than having to buff himself to survive one of his storms.

I like this, but I think this could start at level 5.

Changed it to level 6 (since he gets Call Lightning at level 6).

I'd make it at-will for simplicity's sake.

Wouldn't he just be too good at avoiding death at that point?

I think the base stats are a little too good. It beats out the similar spellcasters, Dread Necromancer / Beguiler / Warmage, all of which have d6, worse armor, one good save, and bad BAB. Maybe lower the HP to d6 and the armor proficiency to light? The wildshape would shore up these weaknesses anyway, such as +CON and +natural armor.

I'll try out the light armor and d6 HP, but isn't the difference that the Stormwatcher gets very specific (and not that powerful) spells, whereas the other classes you mentioned get more damage specific spells?

Very neat. Although, now if you have trouble with a goblin tribe that worships a shaman who controls the weather you have no one to blame but yourself. I call dibs on naming him "The Forcastinator"

Great name. I'd love to see this guy in action.

jiriku
2011-06-21, 09:15 PM
I really wanted call lightning and call lightning storm to be the Stormwatcher's primary damage spells. I did buff the damage on them with the Ominous Clouds special ability. Do you it this isn't a high enough bonus? Again, I didn't want the Stormwatcher to be a nuker, just have the potential to dish out some damage when needed. With the synergy of Foreboding Weather (always having cloudy conditions) and Ominous Clouds together, you could always have 3d10 electricity +2d4 sonic damage from call lightning at level 8. Is that still too low?

I'd say it depends on the type of game you're used to. In my group, 20-ish points of damage to a single target at 8th level is considered pretty anemic, but in another group it might be considered quite effective.

P.S. I just took a look at your Stormlord class, and I like some of your special abilities. Blindsense is a great way to get away with always having an obscuring mist on yourself. Plus if you don't mind I might just steal your bonuses to spot and listen..:smallbiggrin:

Steal away. All my work is up for grabs, and half of it was shamelessly stolen from people much more creative than me anyhow. :smalltongue:

Girshtop
2011-06-30, 12:38 PM
I'd say it depends on the type of game you're used to. In my group, 20-ish points of damage to a single target at 8th level is considered pretty anemic, but in another group it might be considered quite effective.

Well, like I said, damage should be a secondary (or tertiary) part of his role in combat. He should be debuffing first, healing when he needs to, and if all of that is taken care of, he can then hurl his mediocre bolts of Justice.

I just realized that as a caster, the Stormwatcher was in a way hindering himself. By creating storms that he (most likely) will be the center of, he is required to make concentration checks. I don't want to give a spell failure chance because of his primary abilities, so I added to the Wintertouched ability. He now no longer is required to make concentration checks while casting in storms, whether magical or natural.

Kellus
2011-06-30, 01:18 PM
This is a really cool class. I love the idea of someone that messes around with the weather.

A few things:

A Stormwatcher with 5 or more ranks in Heal can use any vigor spell to remove all of the following conditions affecting the subject of the spell, in addition to the spell’s normal effects: dazed, dazzled, or fatigued. A caster with 10 or more ranks in Heal can choose from the following conditions in addition to those above: exhausted, nauseated, or sickened. Note that the effects are only removed on the first round of healing; a fighter that becomes dazed while already being affected by a lesser vigor spell will not have the dazed effect be removed. The Stormwatcher must cast a new vigor spell to remove the status effect.

I assume that this is scaling similar to the spell, but since it's a class feature it might make more sense to simply scale with class level or caster level instead.

Wintertouched (Ex):
This ability works like the granted ability of the windstorm domain (Spell Compendium, page 282). Inclement weather has less of an effect on a Stormwatcher. You can move through snow-covered and icy terrain at your normal movement. Wind effects, whether natural or magical, affect you as if you were one size category larger. A Stormwatcher does not need to make a concentration check in any sort of natural or magical weather conditions.

I see the reasoning behind it, but you might want to specify that you don't need to make Concentration checks to cast spells in inclement weather. As it is right now he auto-succeeds on all Concentration checks. Also, what about other things that might instigate a Concentration check, like casting in melee? Does he ignore those because there's weather going on?

Gust of Wind should be (Sp), not (Su).

One with the Storm is really wordy, and seems to be made up of a combination of new text and copypaste from the druid. I get the basic idea, but I'd rewrite it so it's more obvious what you do and don't get.

I really like ominous clouds, and the way it interacts with the spell you've already got. Very clever. :smallsmile: It would be nice to have clarification if the thunder also applies to Foreboding Weather at 20th level. It seems like it should, but right now it doesn't.

Mist Form should probably be (Sp) as well. Again, you can probably tighten the language up a bit, even as simple as "At 9th level you can use gaseous form once per day per three class levels in any kind of precipitation." You also need a caster level for this, as well as the other SLAs granted like Gust of Wind.

Otherwise, this looks like a really fun and well-made class! Nice job!

Palanan
2011-07-25, 07:51 PM
I've been meaning to say, this is a great class. Excellent flavor, very moody, and nicely thought out.

In fact, of all the homebrews I've been looking at recently, this one ranks as my favorite. Character ideas started flowing as soon as I looked at it, and to start off I'll be working up an NPC for a campaign of mine. I've always been partial to nature-oriented characters, and this class fits perfectly with my storyline and campaign world.

I'd say more, but appropriately enough, I've been hearing thunder as I type; there's a major stormfront headed my way, and the rain's really pouring down. The perfect atmosphere to build this character... :smallbiggrin:

Girshtop
2011-07-28, 02:01 AM
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, things have been a bit hectic lately.
Thanks to Everyone who's taken the time to critique or comment on my homebrew, I truly appreciate it!

I see the reasoning behind it, but you might want to specify that you don't need to make Concentration checks to cast spells in inclement weather. As it is right now he auto-succeeds on all Concentration checks. Also, what about other things that might instigate a Concentration check, like casting in melee? Does he ignore those because there's weather going on?

I fixed this. Thanks for pointing out a big flaw that I didn't see!

I also changed Gust of Wind like you mentioned.

One with the Storm is really wordy, and seems to be made up of a combination of new text and copypaste from the druid. I get the basic idea, but I'd rewrite it so it's more obvious what you do and don't get.

I know its very wordy. I tried my best to keep it as concise as possible while still getting everything in there that needed to be mentioned. I don't really see a way to make it shorted, as it is very similar to the druids Wild Shape, but at the same time there are significant differences that need to be addressed.

I really like ominous clouds, and the way it interacts with the spell you've already got. Very clever. :smallsmile: It would be nice to have clarification if the thunder also applies to Foreboding Weather at 20th level. It seems like it should, but right now it doesn't.

Fixed this too. The two now work in conjunction with each other. What's epic level lightning without epic level thunder?

Mist Form should probably be (Sp) as well. Again, you can probably tighten the language up a bit, even as simple as "At 9th level you can use gaseous form once per day per three class levels in any kind of precipitation." You also need a caster level for this, as well as the other SLAs granted like Gust of Wind.

I would tighten it up, but the spell specifically states, "the creature is subject to the effects of wind, and it can't enter water or other liquid." I feel that the Stormwatcher should be able to choose whether the wind affects him or not, regardless of form. Plus one could argue that any rain would be like him "entering water", which he needs in the first place for the ability to work.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.

In fact, of all the homebrews I've been looking at recently, this one ranks as my favorite. Character ideas started flowing as soon as I looked at it, and to start off I'll be working up an NPC for a campaign of mine. I've always been partial to nature-oriented characters, and this class fits perfectly with my storyline and campaign world.

I'm glad that you like it! Please keep me posted on how it works for you, as I have yet to have an opportunity to try it myself. :smallfrown:

I'd say more, but appropriately enough, I've been hearing thunder as I type; there's a major stormfront headed my way, and the rain's really pouring down. The perfect atmosphere to build this character... :smallbiggrin:

The Dice Gods work in mysterious ways...

dradio1
2011-09-29, 08:19 PM
Heh. Nice work. I haven't played 3.5 much, but it seems like a nice class. I would use it all the time XD Now i just need a 4e version of it to play as next campaign. Mind if I start working on one, if you aren't already? Ive been thinking about various powers and such, but I dont really have the feel of a class like this

Again, great work, in my opinion.

Girshtop
2011-10-03, 10:28 AM
Now i just need a 4e version of it to play as next campaign. Mind if I start working on one, if you aren't already? Ive been thinking about various powers and such, but I dont really have the feel of a class like this

Thanks!

Please go ahead. To be honest I've exclusively played 3.5, so I wouldn't even know where to begin making it a 4th edition class.

Post a link in this thread to your 4th ed. Version if you ever get that done, I would love to check it out.

Girshtop
2011-11-13, 10:55 PM
Did anyone ever get to try this out? I'd love to hear some input. I'm hoping to make one for my groups next campaign. DM says it'll be a winter campaign, so I'm looking forward to seeing how a weather controller works in it.

Wyntonian
2011-11-13, 11:21 PM
Bookmarked in the "Homebrew Whitelist" folder. Nice class, well done. I was the warblade in Dralnu's campaign, by the way, so I've seen this in action. This is a solid class, and I'd like your permission to include it in my worldbuilding project as a pre-approved class.

Palanan
2011-11-15, 11:50 PM
Glad to see some new commentary on this excellent class. :smalltongue:

As I mentioned before, I really enjoy this class, because it's nicely themed and opens up a lot of possibilities for roleplaying. I'm planning to build a Stormwatcher as an NPC in my campaign, and I'll probably have a number of questions as I work along. For now, I just have a couple of questions about the abilities at lower levels.

The first is simple: the aspect of Weather Eye dealing with "unnatural forces" which might be affecting local conditions. Does the Stormwatcher need to make a Survival check to reveal these unnatural forces, or is this a continuous ability? Or, is this bundled into the overall check for predicting the weather? --And, although this seems unlikely, would Weather Eye somehow be able to predict if unnatural forces will come into play in the near future?

I'm also wondering about One With the Storm, which looks to be the Stormwatcher's signature move. I know you said in your notes you didn't want it to be his defining class ability, but it stands out and it's very cool.

Because I often play druids, I can't help seeing this as "Stormwatcher's Wild Shape," whether or not that's a fair impression. At low levels, though, I'm not quite sure how this works. At 5th level, the Stormwatcher takes on the appearance and many abilities of an elemental...but how exactly would the Stormwatcher take on the appearance of an air elemental? Does he look cloudy and vaporous, and could he pass for a wisp of fog? Does he go transparent, and if so are there bonuses to Hide and so forth? Or does his hair just sweep back dramatically? :smallbiggrin:

Again, my take on this is strongly influenced by my notions of wild shape, and some of your text follows that closely, such as the pulse of healing when the character changes form. You also mention that the character's gear "melds into your new form and becomes nonfunctional," but what exactly is the "new form" of a 5th-level Stormwatcher? Is he still solid, or insubstantial at the edges? He gains the ability to become a storm elemental at 8th level, but before then he seems to be something...transitional, and I'm not sure exactly what. It's apparently not completely vaporous or insubstantial, because that happens at 9th level with Mist Form; but it's clearly something different enough to class as a new physical form.

Sorry if I'm not reading this correctly, just having trouble understanding that section. I'm trying to work out how to run it as a DM, and also to anticipate any in-game shenanigans.

Girshtop
2011-11-22, 03:16 AM
Sorry for the long delay in replying. I'd try to explain myself but we all know that D&D > mundane real life. I'll get on it much faster next time, heh.

Bookmarked in the "Homebrew Whitelist" folder. Nice class, well done. I was the warblade in Dralnu's campaign, by the way, so I've seen this in action. This is a solid class, and I'd like your permission to include it in my worldbuilding project as a pre-approved class.

Thanks! Yes, I noticed, t'was fun actually getting a chance to (albeit briefly) try it out with you guys.

I'm not sure I completely understand, but I'd be honoured if you wanted to use my class! :smallbiggrin:

The first is simple: the aspect of Weather Eye dealing with "unnatural forces" which might be affecting local conditions. Does the Stormwatcher need to make a Survival check to reveal these unnatural forces, or is this a continuous ability? Or, is this bundled into the overall check for predicting the weather?

He would need to make only one survival check, and this would both predict the natural weather, as well as revealing the unnatural.

--And, although this seems unlikely, would Weather Eye somehow be able to predict if unnatural forces will come into play in the near future?

Although it would be very cool, Stormwatchers can't predict unnatural events. He can't see the future, he just checks for signs in the skies to see what the weather will be.

I'm also wondering about One With the Storm, which looks to be the Stormwatcher's signature move. I know you said in your notes you didn't want it to be his defining class ability, but it stands out and it's very cool.

I want it to be used, I think it's neat too! I just didn't want to give the impression that if you're not always in elemental form, you're doing it wrong. I imagined it more of a 'back against the wall' ability. In my mind, he's primarily a support, not a front line elemental warrior (which I'll admit sounds pretty cool too :smallsmile:).

Because I often play druids, I can't help seeing this as "Stormwatcher's Wild Shape," whether or not that's a fair impression. At low levels, though, I'm not quite sure how this works. At 5th level, the Stormwatcher takes on the appearance and many abilities of an elemental...but how exactly would the Stormwatcher take on the appearance of an air elemental? Does he look cloudy and vaporous, and could he pass for a wisp of fog? Does he go transparent, and if so are there bonuses to Hide and so forth? Or does his hair just sweep back dramatically? :smallbiggrin:

Again, my take on this is strongly influenced by my notions of wild shape, and some of your text follows that closely, such as the pulse of healing when the character changes form. You also mention that the character's gear "melds into your new form and becomes nonfunctional," but what exactly is the "new form" of a 5th-level Stormwatcher? Is he still solid, or insubstantial at the edges? He gains the ability to become a storm elemental at 8th level, but before then he seems to be something...transitional, and I'm not sure exactly what.

I think my wording was just weird. What I meant by "assuming the physical appearance" was for him to look exactly like an air or water elemental. As far as I can tell, elementals may look vaporous, but they're still solid creatures, right?
I wouldn't give any bonuses to Hide, because elementals have a distinct look, even in their element.

I was very heavily influenced by Wild Shape when I made this ability, but there are some notable differences. Two that I can think of off the top of my head are:
In Wild Shape druids become the animal they shape into; in OWTS a stormwatcher just looks like the elemental, and gains certain abilities that reflect the chosen element, but he doesn't actually become an elemental.
In Wild Shape a druid retains his ability to use spells, supernatural and spell-like abilities; with OWTS a stormwatcher loses those abilities, except when in storm elemental form (with the exception of casting spells).

It's apparently not completely vaporous or insubstantial, because that happens at 9th level with Mist Form; but it's clearly something different enough to class as a new physical form.

Mist form is just a more weather-specific Gaseous Form, completely different class ability than One with the Storm. Sorry if that confused.

I hope I cleared everything up! It's very late and I'm exhausted so if I don't make sense, just ask and I'll try again. :smallsmile:

Again I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me notes on this class. Thanks to everyone, you guys rock.

Palanan
2011-11-22, 01:54 PM
Hey there, no worries about timeliness. RP must occasionally defer to RL.

Thanks for clarifying those points; I've never really dealt with air elementals, so I'm not too familiar with how they work. It seems a little strange that a creature representing living air, in essence, would act as "solid," but that seems to be how they're designed. I may flavor this a little differently for my NPC, just to avoid these questions coming up during gameplay.

Also, on the duration of One With the Storm: you've limited this to one minute per level, and Jiriku seemed to think that was a good call. The druid's Wild Shape is one hour per level, so from my druid-heavy perspective this feels...brief. I'm sure you've put some thought into this, and the one concern I could see with extending OWTS to an hour per level is this effectively gives the Stormwatcher five hours of constant flight at 5th level, which would be quite an advantage. Were you thinking this would be too much for a support character?

It doesn't seem that uber to me, because the flight speed is 20, so he's just drifting along. A fifth-level druid can wildshape into an eagle and clock along at 80 for five hours, meaning he can easily climb to several thousand feet, loiter for a while and survey a broad sweep of terrain. A fifth-level Stormwatcher would be able to drift up to five hundred feet, but then he'd need to immediately drift on down again--more of a quick periscope than an observation platform.

I don't mean to be too critical here; I know the Stormwatcher is meant to be mainly support, and not designed to compare directly with the druid; but the duration of OWTS just seems a little confining. How would you feel about 10 minutes per level? Apart from the scouting utility, I just like the idea of someone soaring up in the clouds while a thunderstorm is driving across the land. :smalltongue:

Yitzi
2011-11-22, 02:19 PM
Call lightning and call lightning storm are very weak spells for their level.

True, but they're meant to make up for that with numerous attacks per casting. (Many druid spells are like that.) Of course, that only works if you're not facing opponents with one-hit-kill abilities with a decent chance of working...(on the flip side, it works extremely well against enemies with tons of hit points but a relatively weak attack.)

Palanan
2011-11-22, 06:09 PM
...something else about OWTS, while I'm thinking of it. I don't think it's specified in the text, but can we assume that activating this ability is a standard action, the same as with Wild Shape?

Girshtop
2011-11-25, 03:45 PM
Also, on the duration of One With the Storm: you've limited this to one minute per level, and Jiriku seemed to think that was a good call. The druid's Wild Shape is one hour per level, so from my druid-heavy perspective this feels...brief.

True, compared to Wild Shape it's extremely brief, but looking at it from another perspective, it's still 50 turns at level 5. Comparing it to a Barbarian's Rage, which it's also similar to in terms of the buffs gained, (assuming a Barbarian with an 18 constitution), it lasts 41 more turns. With the initial heal, resistance to criticals, and no negative after effects, it sounds pretty powerful.

It doesn't seem that uber to me, because the flight speed is 20, so he's just drifting along. A fifth-level druid can wildshape into an eagle and clock along at 80 for five hours, meaning he can easily climb to several thousand feet, loiter for a while and survey a broad sweep of terrain. A fifth-level Stormwatcher would be able to drift up to five hundred feet, but then he'd need to immediately drift on down again--more of a quick periscope than an observation platform.

Again, compared to a druid, he's not as good a scout, but if he can fly up 500 feet to get a good survey of the land before having to come back down, I think that's pretty useful.

Rangers, their animal companions, familiars, Scouts, Druids etc. will be better at than the Stormwatcher at scouting, while he will be better than Rogues, Bards, Barbarians, etc.

I don't mean to be too critical here; I know the Stormwatcher is meant to be mainly support, and not designed to compare directly with the druid; but the duration of OWTS just seems a little confining. How would you feel about 10 minutes per level?

Honestly I prefer it at one minute per level. Anything more and I think it'll just turn into the focal point of the class. With the amount and diversity of spells and class abilities, I don't feel the need to have it any longer than that. I mentioned before that it should feel similar to Wild Shape but have significant differences. One of the differences is there are appropriate times to use it, whereas Wild Shape should be used in almost every scenario (especially with the Natural Spell feat).

Plus, I would imagine turning yourself into the living embodiment of an element is a bit more straining on the body and mind compared to Wild Shaping into an animal, don't you agree? :smalltongue:

Apart from the scouting utility, I just like the idea of someone soaring up in the clouds while a thunderstorm is driving across the land. :smalltongue:

But how will the people fear and respect you if you're unseen because you're so high in the thunderstorm? You're not seeing the big picture!:smallbiggrin:

...something else about OWTS, while I'm thinking of it. I don't think it's specified in the text, but can we assume that activating this ability is a standard action, the same as with Wild Shape?

Yes, my bad there, will add that in now. Thanks.

True, but they're meant to make up for that with numerous attacks per casting. (Many druid spells are like that.) Of course, that only works if you're not facing opponents with one-hit-kill abilities with a decent chance of working...(on the flip side, it works extremely well against enemies with tons of hit points but a relatively weak attack.)

I was hoping his Ominous Clouds ability would be that little tweak that makes the spells deal a more appropriate amount of damage. Thoughts?

I also forgot when I was creating the ability to give a slam attack, as unless you already have the Improved Unarmed Attack feat, you're at a combat disadvantage. How does 1d8 sound? Maybe at Large size 2d8? With the added Str. I think that'll be good.

Also added in the ability to breathe underwater when taking the form of a Water Elemental.

Palanan
2011-11-25, 05:45 PM
Okay, good points about the duration of OWTS. I can appreciate your wanting to keep it brief and focused, so the class doesn't become OneWithTheStormwatcher. :smalltongue:

This does put a wrinkle in my next question, though, which would have been whether there could be a feat to allow spellcasting while in air- or water-form. This would essentially be Natural Spell for Stormwatchers...but given the relatively short duration of the ability, plus your interest in setting it apart from wild shape, do you think it's worth a feat?

Also, the way you've outlined it, I have the image of a Stormwatcher in air-form as something like Ariel the Elemental from Chronicles of Riddick. "We do not fly...but we glide very well." For some reason it just seems to fit.

Girshtop
2011-11-27, 02:18 PM
This does put a wrinkle in my next question, though, which would have been whether there could be a feat to allow spellcasting while in air- or water-form. This would essentially be Natural Spell for Stormwatchers...but given the relatively short duration of the ability, plus your interest in setting it apart from wild shape, do you think it's worth a feat?

To be honest I'm against the spell casting in Water or Air elemental forms. I feel like many of the druids "over-powered" problems stem from being able to massively buff themselves with little detriment to their other abilities. Transforming into a bear is one thing, but transforming into a full spell-casting bear is something else entirely.

That being said, I did allow for use of extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities when in the Storm elemental form. Given the higher level required and the more direct combat related abilities, I thought it was appropriate. Air elemental abilities are useful for flight, and Water elemental abilities for swimming, but the Storm elemental is very combat focused. Without the allowance of his other Su, Ex, and Sp abilities, I don't see it being particularly useful.

Edit: I accidentally wrote that you can cast spells in Storm elemental form when I meant use other abilities; if it turns out that OWTS doesn't progress as well as I thought, maybe the Large Storm elemental form will be able to cast Stormwatcher spells.

Palanan
2011-12-02, 09:54 PM
So, I've been working up a 5th-level stormwatcher for a campaign I'll be running, ...and I'm having trouble working out which feats would be good choices. I've looked at a few that seemed thematically appropriate, like Born of Three Thunders, Air Devotion, Elemental Bloodline, etc., but none of them really seem to click.

Right now the only one that seems appropriate is Winter's Blast, from Complete Mage; this is a reserve feat that would be keying off Frost Breath. Unfortunately I don't think my stormwatcher would be able to take it until 6th level--and at that point, Storm Bolt would probably be a better choice, keying off Call Lightning. This, in turn, might be a little too powerful for the Stormwatcher, given that the class is designed to be support rather than electro-blasting.

I'd like to respect the spirit of the class, and find some feats that gently enhance the Stormwatcher's abilities. Unfortunately I'm not coming up with much.

Clearly my feat-fu needs a period of meditation in the mountains. Any suggestions?