PDA

View Full Version : level progression of a Stonechild(races of stone)?

Starwulf
2011-06-17, 07:38 PM
Ok, so I'm joining a Gestalt game where one side of the gestalt must be a Race with RHD and LA. I've chosen the Stonechild(non-negotiable, don't ask to change it). It has 2RHD and a +4 LA, so It's ECL is 6. The game starts at level 9(My other side is Knight, also non-negotiable, part of the setting and my role in it). so, I have no idea how to extrapolate the advancement of the Stonechild from level 6 to level 9. It can be found in races of stone, page 96.

I basically need to know how it gains any more skill points, ability score increases(if any), or any more natural armor, etc etc, and at what level it would get them(please, go past level 9, as I would assume we'll gain a few levels throughout the campaign).

Thank you!

Starwulf
2011-06-17, 10:12 PM
quick bump for this. Still haven't found an answer. In the end, if I can't get/find an answer, I'll just add fighter and make him a Stonechild6/Fighter 3 on one side, and Knight 9 on the other. will give me an extra feat from the fighter side anyways. Could be useful

wuwuwu
2011-06-17, 10:15 PM
The Stonechild is a monster class, which means its only there to allow for it to be played from level 1. You don't actually need to use it if you're starting at level 7 or more. You'll need to take a different class on that side once you get the 6 levels of Stonechild.

edit: to clarify, unlike "real" classes, monster classes do not have epic progressions. Once you hit the end of progression, there is no more. Extrapolating any more levels would be homebrew at that point, and up to your DM (or whoever he trusts with the task)

Starwulf
2011-06-17, 10:16 PM
The Stonechild is a monster class, which means its only there to allow for it to be played from level 1. You don't actually need to use it if you're starting at level 7 or more. You'll need to take a different class on that side once you get the 6 levels of Stonechild.

Ahh, so I have to add class levels to it then. Ahh well, that works well with my background anyways to be honest. Thanks for the information!

qoalabear
2011-06-17, 10:43 PM
Ahh, so I have to add class levels to it then. Ahh well, that works well with my background anyways to be honest. Thanks for the information!

quick bump for this. Still haven't found an answer. In the end, if I can't get/find an answer, I'll just add fighter and make him a Stonechild6/Fighter 3 on one side, and Knight 9 on the other. will give me an extra feat from the fighter side anyways. Could be useful

Technically, at ECL9 you will be a Knight9//Stonechild2/Fighter3, as 4 of those Stonechild "levels" are LA. Just a minor nitpick, you probably have the right idea already.

Also, for future reference, you could technically continue as an outsider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType). They're purely there to add HD/BAB/saves/skills with no other features (You'd only gain anything from the saves and skill with your current gestalt setup). If the race had a size progression (such as listing "2-X HD Medium, (X+1)-Y HD Large), you'd gain a size increase with the associated ability/natural armor bonuses at the appropriate Stonechild/Outsider level, but it doesn't look like they have one.

It's probably better to just advance with a class on that side. Since you already have backstory reasons to do so, go ahead with that. I just have a habit of trying to present all the options. :smallredface:

Starwulf
2011-06-17, 11:41 PM
Technically, at ECL9 you will be a Knight9//Stonechild2/Fighter3, as 4 of those Stonechild "levels" are LA. Just a minor nitpick, you probably have the right idea already.

Also, for future reference, you could technically continue as an outsider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType). They're purely there to add HD/BAB/saves/skills with no other features (You'd only gain anything from the saves and skill with your current gestalt setup). If the race had a size progression (such as listing "2-X HD Medium, (X+1)-Y HD Large), you'd gain a size increase with the associated ability/natural armor bonuses at the appropriate Stonechild/Outsider level, but it doesn't look like they have one.

It's probably better to just advance with a class on that side. Since you already have backstory reasons to do so, go ahead with that. I just have a habit of trying to present all the options. :smallredface:

From what I could glean from Races of Stone, I'd basically be a Stonechild, fighter 3/Knight 9. Or a Stonechild 6 fighter 3/Knight 9. They give two templates. The stonechild with a full 2 RHD and 4 LA, and a stonechild template that from what I gather has no LA, but still accrues bonuses up to level 6 and gains all the abilities of the full stonechild. Unless I'm still reading that wrong(it's page 92 if you want to check it out). If you'll notice, the Template they give to start out at level 1 + adding all the bonuses from the chart, will eventually lead it to having the same stats as the description they give on page 91(page 91 cites +8 STR/CON, +2 INT, -2 CHR, Page 92 template says you start at +2 CON, +2 INT, -2 CHR, then at level 2 and 3 gain 2 str, 2 con, at level 5 2 str 2 con, and at level 6 you gain 2 str).

Cog
2011-06-17, 11:41 PM
Also, for future reference, you could technically continue as an outsider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType).
Without a monster listing that actually gives them an Advancement entry with a racial HD option, there's no particular basis for that, any more than humans could take levels in Humanoid. A DM might choose to allow it, of course, but there's no reason to expect it.

...and a stonechild template that from what I gather has no LA...
It has LA, it's just that the LA is included in the table. You alternately take actual levels and effective levels until getting 2 HD and 4 LA.