PDA

View Full Version : Questions on if a prestige class of cleric/paladin combo

JofftheGreat
2011-06-17, 07:38 PM
Does this prestige class exist in 3.5 or not ? If so what book and some details

Godskook
2011-06-17, 07:46 PM
None that I can think hybridize those two. Paladin is basically supposed to be a more martial(and mounted) cleric, but what WotC didn't realize is that Clerics are already more martial than Paladins(by prestiging time, roughly) and mounted combat isn't that great in all situations, especially when your in a dungeon or fighting a dragon(unless your mount is capable of flight too). 'Course, there's not much of either of those things in D&D, is there:smallamused:

Greenish
2011-06-17, 08:09 PM
Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) is a prestige class. :smalltongue:

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-17, 08:22 PM
Closest I can think of is the Ruby Knight Vindicator, as Crusader is fluffed a lot like paladins/anti-paladins.

Amphetryon
2011-06-17, 11:21 PM
Consider the Abolisher, p183 of the Lords of Madness supplement. Divine caster with additional combat damage abilities.

EDIT: You'll need a Domain that grants Wild Empathy.

FMArthur
2011-06-17, 11:45 PM
The combination of Cleric and Paladin is best accomplished not with Paladin levels, but Cleric prestige classes with Paladin features. Prestige Paladin is one, but I don't think it's as good as Fist of Raziel or Ordained Champion, and there are certainly others.

Fist of Raziel is a full BAB cleric advancing class from BoED that gives you lots of Smites and a handful of other things like a permanent Magic Circle Against Evil and bonuses on attacks against Evil creatures. 9/10 casting, too.

Ordained Champion is only 3/5 casting and is shorter, but also provides Smiting, full BAB, Fighter feats and lets you channel spells into your weapons and cast War domain spells as Swift actions, allowing you to emulate Battle Blessing Paladins somewhat.

This may seem obvious, but you can just buy a horse that works perfectly fine. While a Paladin has a class feature that wiggles its eyebrows and nods suggestively at a mounted combat style, it's not actually much better off for it than someone who bought a horse. Anyway you could take the Wild Cohort feat for an Animal Companion if you really need a powerful creature companion.

Talya
2011-06-17, 11:57 PM
This may seem obvious, but you can just buy a horse that works perfectly fine. While a Paladin has a class feature that wiggles its eyebrows and nods suggestively at a mounted combat style, it's not actually much better off for it than someone who bought a horse. Anyway you could take the Wild Cohort feat for an Animal Companion if you really need a powerful creature companion.

I won't ride a creature that a single attack can take out from under me. Mounts and companions and such are not expendable tools for me, but characters in their own right. The special mount is a paladin feature that I actually like.

I do love the wild cohort feat. Even if you rule Natural Bond doesn't apply to it, you can get much better mounts than a paladin will ever get (The Paladin mount caps out at 12 hit dice Heavy Warhorse +8...but with wild cohort even a regular heavy horse caps out at 14 hit dice. However, if you have natural bond, you are taking -3 companions with no loss of caster level, or -6 companions at only -3 caster level.) Especially if you get something that flies...

AnonymousD&Der
2011-06-19, 12:02 PM
Closest I can think of is the Ruby Knight Vindicator, as Crusader is fluffed a lot like paladins/anti-paladins.

I wanna second this. The Crusader has quite a few special abilities, both within the AWESOME martial maneuvers and the humble class features it brings, to replicate the feel of a Paladin rather well. I can't think of anything off of the top of my head that a Cleric/Paladin can do that a Cleric/Crusader can't. And the Ruby Knight Vindicator is -win-. Massive win. Plus, the three easily combine together rather well.

The -ONLY- flaw with this is the fact that not everyone is going to allow the Tome of Battle. If you can get the book approved, however, both the Crusader base class and the Ruby Knight "Win"dicator prestige class are ready and waiting for you.

Talya
2011-06-19, 12:09 PM
Cleric/Prestige Paladin is much better than Paladin, despite giving all the paladin's class features, if substantally weaker than cleric.