PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 Splatbooks

Lastgrasp
2011-06-17, 08:14 PM
Out of curiosity, are the old 3.0 splatbooks worth grabbing? Most of them are dirt cheap on ebay and I was wondering if some of the material was never updated to 3.5 but still relevant.

Greenish
2011-06-17, 09:06 PM
OA has some nifty stuff, A&EG has mundane items, vehicles and services that are still relevant (most of the magic weapons/armour are overpriced and you'd be better served with MIC for those).

hivedragon
2011-06-17, 09:15 PM
I assume OA is oriental adventures but what's A&EG?

MeeposFire
2011-06-17, 09:17 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide.

Sword and fist was fun and even has a few things that were not updated though don't get it unless it is DIRT cheap.

I second Oriental Adventures. Also some Forgotten Realms books might be worth getting.

Ozreth
2011-06-18, 01:32 AM
All of the Forgotten Realms books are VERY well done in 3.x if youre into the realms at all.

IMO the FR Campaign Setting for 3.0 was one of the best books to be released for D&D.

Coidzor
2011-06-18, 01:49 AM
Unapproachable East was pretty nice from what I've seen of it.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-18, 02:05 AM
I will second the Forgotten Realms...Even if you do not play it. I know of many people who dislike the Realms, but are okay with parts of it. And I think that unless your group are big on the Realms they won't notice if you file off some serial numbers.

And well...You don't hear about Incantrixes/Twice Betrayers of Shar/Cheaters of Mystra/Pun-puns for nothing even if the fluff is of no interest. In that case, buy cheap and flip to the character options section. I believe that the Unapproachable East book has at least a rather desirable summoning regional feat if I recall correctly.

I do not think Sword and Fist has anything of note that was not updated, but I could be wrong. My opinion of the book was low after I was disappointed in the spiked chain wielding prestige class.

MeeposFire
2011-06-18, 02:11 AM
Ghostwalker is kind of cool though much better for NPCs.

Lasher is also alright as is ninja of the crescent moon.

there is also a few things that are for the LOLs such as the monk feat that gives them a total of an extra two attacks from flurry instead of one for a -5 penalty.

Leon
2011-06-18, 03:45 AM
If you can get them really cheap than most can be good to just have to read and reference - some of them do have 3.5 updates (or used to not sure if they still are on the wizards site)

Yora
2011-06-18, 05:35 AM
I agree with the others.

FR books and Oriental Adventures are quite good. I also LOVE Manual of the Planes, it's my favorite book ever. Not much crunch that isn't found in the 3.5e DMG and Monster Manual 3, but there's really a lot of info on the old cosmology used by, I think, almost all settings in 2nd Edition and still in Greyhawk. Great fluff-book, but the PrCs and spells are nothing worth mentioning.

Alleran
2011-06-18, 05:40 AM
All of the Forgotten Realms books are VERY well done in 3.x if youre into the realms at all.

IMO the FR Campaign Setting for 3.0 was one of the best books to be released for D&D.
I liked Magic of Faerun and Lost Empires of Faerun better, to be honest.

Magic of Faerun in particular. That book was loaded.

Lastgrasp
2011-06-18, 09:30 AM
Any opinions on....
Book of Challenges
Enemies and Allies
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook
Hero Builder's Guidebook

The-Mage-King
2011-06-18, 09:34 AM
Replied in Bold

Any opinions on....
Book of Challenges Don't know. Need to look through that...
Enemies and Allies Meh. Useful if you need an NPC stat, but... Not really.
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook BUY THIS. It's useful for designing fortresses, 0and ships. Best of this group.
Hero Builder's Guidebook Again, meh. Not very useful, IMAO.

I'd also suggest grabbing Ghostwalk, if you can. That is an... interesting setting, and some feats in it will help with incorporeal characters too..

Greenish
2011-06-18, 09:41 AM
the PrCs and spells are nothing worth mentioning.Gatecrashers are always worth mentioning! Not for the crunch, though, but for:

http://wizards.com/dnd/images/MotP/Gatecrasher.jpg

Runestar
2011-06-18, 10:10 AM
I liked Magic of Faerun and Lost Empires of Faerun better, to be honest.

Magic of Faerun in particular. That book was loaded.

And they proceeded to nerf the sequencers into uselessness in spell compendium. Shame, that book was like a wizard's wet dream. :smallsigh:

But I agree with many of the FR books worth picking up, mainly because they are quite fluff-heavy, which doesn't really change between editions. :smallsmile:

Leon
2011-06-18, 11:16 AM

If you can get it then do so its a great book and aside from the magic items/augmentations section largely untouched by edition change related issues.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-18, 11:33 AM
Indeed. The SBG is a fantastic book.

mootoall
2011-06-18, 12:04 PM
Book of challenges isn't bad for ideas on encounters, actually, if you're having trouble being creative. It's very mechanics heavy though, so you're gonna want to reevaluate some of the monsters for 3.5

Douglas
2011-06-18, 12:19 PM
Any opinions on....
Book of Challenges
Enemies and Allies
Hero Builder's Guidebook
Enemies and Allies is, in my experience, chiefly notable for the Wrathful Healing weapon property introduced in a sidebar somewhere in the book. Costs +3, causes the weapon to heal its wielder for half of the damage it deals. Stick that on any of the various high-damage-with-a-weapon builds and they go from "powerful" to "ridiculous", especially if Karmic Strike or Robilar's Gambit are involved.