PDA

View Full Version : Starting attributes

OnePep
2011-06-17, 08:18 PM
My current DM has a houserule regarding starting attributes:
Set all attributes on 10 then you can buy 1 attribute up for one point, with 16 points to distribute in total. Meaning you could set two of them on 18 and leave the rest at ten.

I've build several characters with this system. My conclusion is: I like it, for it leaves a choice. The chars I've build with it, had mostly two stats maxed out, but other players in my group usually balance their stats out more.

What I would like to know is: a) Do you think it's overpowered? b) Have you seen this system before? c) What are your houserules regarding starting attributes? d) Would you consider playing with this system?

Kin Silvion
2011-06-17, 08:22 PM
It's roughly equivalent to a... 40 point buy I think. 16 per each 18, so two.

32 right there.

Then 4 more stats.

Yeah, 40 point buy. Approx. Of course you could go 14s down the line if you'd like.

sonofzeal
2011-06-17, 08:31 PM
It'd prefer standard pointbuy. It's a little more complicated, but you get used to it quickly, and the result is more balanced - not to mention standardized, meaning many players are already familiar with it and use it frequently.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-06-17, 08:41 PM
Flat point buy makes SAD characters even happier. Also, why not allow scores below 10?

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-17, 08:44 PM
I think I prefer having the bigger stats cost more, so people have a reason to make more balanced characters if they care to. I also am thinking of a house rule to use in combination with the standard point buy that characters can only have one stat at 8. Some people can RP an 8 really well. Some people really like playing with 8 INT or WIS. Some people really should be playing with 8 charisma.

However, several scores at eight is perhaps an issue.

OnePep
2011-06-17, 09:11 PM
I know everybody is used to the standard pointbuy system. And yes, the standard system "forces" you to make a more balanced character.

I just can't help thinking this system let's you play more the way you want to play. Ergo, if you want to 'powerplay' more, you can. If you want to play a balanced (Witch I think to classify as MAD. Yes, a build that depends on more than two strong attributes is MAD imo.), you can.
In a group I'm playing now, there are about as much "balanced players" as "power-builders" and both sides have fun.

@ honest Tiefling: The range of attributes before racial adjustments is 8-18. Thus a 6 is possible, but that allmost never happens.

Amphetryon
2011-06-17, 09:21 PM
I know everybody is used to the standard pointbuy system. And yes, the standard system "forces" you to make a more balanced character.

I just can't help thinking this system let's you play more the way you want to play. Ergo, if you want to 'powerplay' more, you can. If you want to play a balanced (Witch I think to classify as MAD. Yes, a build that depends on more than two strong attributes is MAD imo.), you can.
In a group I'm playing now, there are about as much "balanced players" as "power-builders" and both sides have fun.

@ honest Tiefling: The range of attributes before racial adjustments is 8-18. Thus a 6 is possible, but that allmost never happens.
[nitpick] A couple LA +0 Races have a -4 Attribute modifier, so lower than 6 is technically possible.

OnePep
2011-06-17, 09:27 PM
[nitpick] A couple LA +0 Races have a -4 Attribute modifier, so lower than 6 is technically possible.

:roach: !go, nitpicks, go!:roach: :smallbiggrin:
But since that never never happened in our group, you could conclude that there are no real powergamers present. Maybe that's the reason my fellow players and I llike the system?

sonofzeal
2011-06-17, 09:57 PM

Standard pointbuy allows both those things, it merely makes maxing out a stat less desirable. You can still easily get it if you want, or you could go for a balanced set.

Thing is, some classes only need one or two good attributes ("SAD classes"), while others need three or four ("MAD classes"). And it just so happens that, on average, SAD classes are considerably more powerful than MAD classes. Standard pointbuy allows SAD classes to get what they want, but it also gives a little extra edge to MAD classes, and by and large I'd say that's a good thing. It supports both playstyles, and allows both to have their fun, but I think that extra balancing mechanism helps the game overall. It also encourages ability scores more in line with what you'd get by rolling.

I just don't see the advantage of doing it this way.

Hida Reju
2011-06-17, 10:13 PM
Your system is not overpowered at all.

In our game we roll 4D6, take top 3, Reroll 1's and place in any order.

Seems to average about 13-14 with some odd high or low numbers.