PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Base class: the Huskar

squeekenator
2011-06-17, 08:36 PM
Inspired by the hero Huskar from the excellent game DotA, this class is based around powering its abilities with HP.

Huskar

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d12

Class Skills
The huskar’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Str), Sense Motive (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Level | BAB | Fort | Reflex | Will | Special
1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +0 | Burning spear (+1d6, cost 3), sacred vitality 1/day
2 | +2 | +3 | +0 | +0 | Diehard
3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Berserker’s blood (damage)
4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Burning spear (+2d6, cost 5)
5 | +5 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Shield other
6 | +6/+1 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Life break
7 | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Sacred vitality 2/day
8 | +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +2 | Burning spear (3d6, cost 7)
9 | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +3 | Berserker’s blood (attack rolls)
10 | +10/+5 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Sacred vitality (swift action)
11 | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Life break (exhausted)
12 | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Burning spear (4d6, cost 9)
13 | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Sacred vitality 3/day
14 | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +4 | Indomitable will
15 | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +5 | +5 | Berserker’s blood (haste)
16 | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Burning spear (5d6, cost 11), life break (lowered cost)
17 | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Spirit of the martyr
18 | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Tenacious essence
19 | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Sacred vitality 4/day
20 | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +6 | Burning spear (6d6, cost 13), life break 1/minute

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the huskar.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
Huskars are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armour, medium armour and shields (except tower shields).

Burning Spear (Su)
A huskar can sacrifice some of his life force in order to wreathe his weapon in divine flame. Whenever a huskar makes an attack with any manufactured weapon, he may voluntarily take 3 points of damage. If he does, the attack deals 1d6 bonus damage. While it appears to be fire, this damage comes from the huskar’s raw life energy, and as such the damage is not subject to resistance or immunity. Despite the name, burning spear can be used with any manufactured weapon, including ranged weapons.

Burning spear deals an extra 1d6 damage and costs an extra 2 hit points at fourth level, and every four levels thereafter.

Sacred Vitality (Su)
A huskar can bestow upon fast healing himself or any of his allies within 30 feet as a standard action once per day. The subject receives fast healing equal to the huskar’s class level plus the subject’s Constitution modifier for 10 rounds. If the subject is below half its maximum health, it instead heals twice this amount. At 10th level a huskar can use sacred vitality as a swift action.

This ability can be used twice per day at 7th level and an extra time per day every six levels thereafter.

Diehard
At 2nd level a huskar gains Diehard as a bonus feat.

Berserker’s Blood (Ex)
A huskar of 3rd level or higher goes into a righteous fury when injured, greatly increasing his offensive capabilities. He adds his class level to all weapon damage rolls made when on 75% or less of his maximum health, twice his class level to all weapon damage rolls made when on 50% or less of his maximum health and three times his class level to all weapon damage rolls made when on 25% or less of his maximum health.

A 9th level huskar also gains a +2 bonus on all weapon attack rolls made when on 75% or less of his maximum health, a +4 bonus all weapon attack rolls made when on 50% or less of his maximum health and a +6 bonus on all weapon attack rolls made when on 25% or less of his maximum health.

At 15th level a huskar gains the benefits of a haste spell when on less than 75% of his maximum health.

Shield Other (Sp)
At 5th level a huskar can use shield other, as the spell, at will. However, he may only have one shield other in effect at any given time.

Life Break (Su)
A huskar who has attained 6th level may reach into their own life force to heavily damage an enemy within 5 feet once per day as a standard action. Both the huskar and the target suffer damage equal to 50% of their current hit points. The target may make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ the huskar’s class level + the huskar’s Con modifier) for half damage. On a failed save, the target also becomes fatigued for 1d4 rounds.

At 11th level the target becomes exhausted on a failed save instead, and becomes fatigued even if they pass their save.

At 16th level the huskar only suffers damage equal to 25% of his current hit points.

At 20th level this ability can be used once per minute.

Indomitable Will (Ex)
A huskar of 14th level is immune to all mind-affecting effects. Once per day he may re-roll any failed saving throw.

Spirit of the Martyr (Su)
When a huskar of 17th level or higher dies, he instantly returns to life, as the spell revenance, for the remainder of the encounter. This ability functions once per day.

Tenacious Essence (Ex)
A huskar of 18th level is immune to all death effects, energy drain and negative energy effects.

demidracolich
2011-06-18, 10:10 AM
Wait, huskar is his name, shouldn't the class be called sacred warrior?

Daverin
2011-06-18, 11:02 AM
I know this will sound weird, but thank you for introducing me to this hero (don't play DotA) and concept! I've been thinking of how to make holy berserker work for a while now, and, well, here you go! :smalltongue:

As for the class, any tier you are shooting for, and what roles will the class chiefly fill?

squeekenator
2011-06-18, 02:16 PM
Wait, huskar is his name, shouldn't the class be called sacred warrior?

True, but sacred warrior is just such a generic and bland name. Blech. Huskar may not actually mean anything, and so doesn't tell you anything about what the class does, but I'd rather that than a boring but informative name.

I know this will sound weird, but thank you for introducing me to this hero (don't play DotA) and concept! I've been thinking of how to make holy berserker work for a while now, and, well, here you go! :smalltongue:

As for the class, any tier you are shooting for, and what roles will the class chiefly fill?

Glad I can help. :smallwink:

Ideally it'd be mid tier 3, since that's the sweet spot for balance. As for role, it's similar to the crusader, being a damage-dealing tank who can also save others through healing and, in the huskar's case, shield other.

Daverin
2011-06-20, 03:45 PM
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

As far as your tier goal; from what I have gathered about the tiers, it is still a tier 4. The thing is, this Huskar seems to be very good at its task, which is taking the pain of himself and others and making it a weapon, he does not do anything else. Take the crusader for example. Not only can it tank and deal damage well, but it also has, for example, white raven which grants buffing and can even change the action economy to a small degree. Meanwhile, all the ToB characters could probably use a maneuver or boost to assist in the non-combat tasks.

Mind you, tier 4 is not, I think, bad, at least assuming the common party paradigm. Each player is "supposed" to fill one role, and the others make up the others. In this sense, tier 4 is correct. The reason tier 3 is considered better is that each can both assist the others in these roles to a small degree, and can not feel truly floundered if one is taken out of commission.

Of course, I do not know how close to the original concept you want if. If you want to keep a limit on abilities as close to the original as possible, then you seem to have done a fantastic job, but may not be able to break tier 3, if you really want that (again, tier 4 just means you can be very good at one job, but not really do others well. Think Barbarian.) However, the concept itself certainly could be brought up to tier 3. As I stated before, I love the concept, and have been working on my own take. While doing so, I've been thinking of additions to this that include buffing, and actually allowing for AOEs through a sort of shield other that can affect enemies, causing them to share damage, as a couple of thoughts.

All in all, my take is, nice work. It could use a few abilities that take it to tier 3 and expand the role a little bit, but I think you did a very good job porting Huskar to a DnD class! :smallsmile:

Also, take all I say with a grain of salt. I try to make custom classes of my own quite a bit, but I have little in the way of critical analysis experience, both giving and receiving it. But I figured you would want some sort of response, since you posted it on the board!

squeekenator
2011-06-21, 04:32 AM
Hmmm. Fair point about the tier thing, I was comparing it to the T3 crusader since they both have healing and damage-dealing abilities, but forgot about all the various white raven support effects the huskar misses out on. Oh well, there's nothing wrong with tier 4. :smallsmile: