PDA

View Full Version : Levelin' my monk

Heart
2011-06-17, 10:25 PM
So I've got this level 3 monk (all levels in monk) and due to the GM not going by the WBL chart I just gained 7 levels from one battle (woo :smallsmile:).

And now I'm wonderin', what should I put levels in to make an awesome monk?

None of the other players are any good at optimizing so making a good monk (if that ever existed:smallwink:) shouldn't be hard by comparison, so I want something good, but fun. All books are negotiable.

Any thoughts, Playground? If there's any other questions I can answer to help you, please ask.

dextercorvia
2011-06-17, 10:29 PM
What have you got already? Race/Feats/ACF's?

Lateral
2011-06-17, 10:32 PM
Take seven levels of Psychic Warrior. Take Tashalatora. Congratulations, you win.

OracleofWuffing
2011-06-17, 10:40 PM
How awesome do you want to be, and what, in your mind, is the definition of a "Monk"?

...Since all books are allowed, I'm calling in before Tomb of Battle. :smalltongue: They got themselves a swordsage in there that does lots of awesome things, and the other classes ain't shabby at all.

Heart
2011-06-17, 11:30 PM
What have you got already? Race/Feats/ACF's?

She's a Harssaf. The GM is allowing me to retrain all feats I've taken so the ones I have aren't important at the moment. I probably should've mentioned that in the first post.

Gnome Alone
2011-06-17, 11:37 PM
Wait, you're gaining SEVEN LEVELS from one battle? Who'd you kill, Godzilla?

Heart
2011-06-18, 12:00 AM

Lol. It was a frost giant with some class levels put into it. No big deal for a level 3 with 300,000+ worth of equipment...:smallbiggrin:

Te'Shen
2011-06-18, 12:00 AM

Nah... possible role-play/social encounter where they out riddled sphinxes...

So, not terribly optimal, but as you stated, not really the point, 2 levels in OA samurai/5 shou disciple. Flurry with your ancestral sword...

Or to echo Lateral somewhat, jump into Warmind with the Tashalatora feat and just continue with some monk grabbing better/appropriate substitution features as needed (if DM will let you have the 2nd level Kalashtar monk substitution features out of Races of Eberron-add know:psionics and autohypnosis to skills and select a psionic feat... but probably not).

Edit: well, my guess was nowhere close... :)

dextercorvia
2011-06-18, 12:15 AM
Lol. It was a frost giant with some class levels put into it. No big deal for a level 3 with 300,000+ worth of equipment...:smallbiggrin:

You don't need optimization. You have Santa Claus.

holywhippet
2011-06-18, 07:01 AM
Asssuming you don't have any special weapons you are attached to, start grabbing cleric levels then go for the sacred fist PrC - it's full BAB progression and (thanks to a possible error in the text) full caster progression. You don't get some of the fancy monk tricks but you do get some interesting replacements.

OracleofWuffing
2011-06-18, 01:38 PM
You don't need optimization. You have Santa Claus.
No, Santa's (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Santa.pdf) limited to 9,000 gp worth of toys and minor healing items or whatever he can pull out of a Tan Bag of Tricks. I'd say that he's got some sort of sponsorship with the local magic mart. Looks like you'll eventually hit a point later this campaign where you can buy Pazuzu. No, I don't mean summon Pazuzu, I mean that you'll own him.