PDA

View Full Version : Perform [Awesome].

Otherworld Odd
2011-06-17, 11:41 PM
So today I sprung the question on my DM: "Can I have a character have the skill Perform [Awesome]?" He responded sure. Now my Perform [Awesome] is obviously going to have to make the use of such skill. I see him along the lines of Johnny Cage or Johnny Bravo. Manly men. Duke Nukem without the vulgarity.

I'd prefer for him to be tough, clearly. Melee combat is a must, but anything more than that is pure speculation. Throw your ideas at me, I'm in dire need of them.

The-Mage-King
2011-06-18, 12:34 AM
Try a WarBard build. As in "Warblade/Bard". Pick up Song of the White Raven, and focus on Iron Heart maneuvers. BAM! You're Awesome.

Otherworld Odd
2011-06-18, 04:20 AM
That sounds pretty cool. Also, we're playing Serpent's Skull. I think it's kind piratey. Sounds piratey...

Shadowknight12
2011-06-18, 04:23 AM
That sounds pretty cool. Also, we're playing Serpent's Skull. I think it's kind piratey. Sounds piratey...

Goth-themed tea party.

Otherworld Odd
2011-06-18, 04:31 AM
Goth-themed tea party.

Lol do what? For some reason I think you're saying it's dark and it's really easy and suckage and in that case I feel like I should talk my DM into running something different. >.>

Shadowknight12
2011-06-18, 04:45 AM
Lol do what? For some reason I think you're saying it's dark and it's really easy and suckage and in that case I feel like I should talk my DM into running something different. >.>

No no no, you see, it's a joke. You read it, then laugh, then enjoy the brief rush of endorphins in your blood.

I have no idea what Serpent Skull is, but that's my best guess. And you know what? I'd play a goth-themed tea party. I'd play the butler and make snide remarks to the guests as I serve them.

Zaq
2011-06-18, 04:53 AM
You ever see Versus (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275773/)? There's a character in that movie who clearly has max ranks in Perform [Awesome]. I have, indeed, based a D&D character on him, with, in fact, Perform [Awesome]. If you've seen the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about.

It's a terrible movie, but it's enjoyable in a hilarious campy way. That actor really carries the movie. He's awesome.

Otherworld Odd
2011-06-18, 05:32 AM
Oh, I know it was a joke. I was just seeing it as a joke about the campaign path because well, you know... it was bad. >.> Lol.

I haven't ever seen that movie but I want to now. O.o.

Alleran
2011-06-18, 05:38 AM
This man has the Perform (awesome) skill. (http://images.wikia.com/gurennlagann/images/2/2e/Kamina.jpg)

Gettles
2011-06-18, 07:45 AM
Have your own personal theme song, as well as an ability that causes it to start playing and even hijack any other near by music. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdZP4PjAT1Q)

potatocubed
2011-06-18, 08:55 AM
Serpent's Skull isn't piratey, except at the very beginning - it's more on the lines of Indiana Jones, Solomon's Mines, pulp jungle exploration sort of thing.

So a manly man doing manly things will fit right in. :smallcool:

EDIT: Also, bear in mind my favourite Conan the Barbarian quote: "The ways of men differ in different lands, but a man need not be a swine wherever he is."

Slipperychicken
2011-06-18, 09:59 AM
I imagine this skill being used in place of Perform: Comedy, Oratory, and possibly Sing and Dance. He allowed this skill in the first place, so I think it's a fair bet that if you can get an impressive-looking modifier (+20-30ish sounds about right) you can also gain access to some unique combat maneuvers and replace/obsolete other skill rolls. As long as it doesn't get old and you don't outshine everyone else, sounds like it could be pretty handy.

DM: "Okay, so you're all standing next to the chasm. You look down into it but see only blackness."

Player 1: "I throw a rock down and listen for the sound of it hitting the bottom."

DM: "You throw it down, but don't hear anything."

Player 2: "I go tie some rope around the nearest-"

Player 3: "-CANNONBAAAALL!" [rolls Perform(awesome)] :smallcool:

Whole table: :smalleek: :smallconfused: :smallamused:

DM: "You land at the bottom unharmed, creating a small crater..."

big teej
2011-06-18, 11:40 AM
So today I sprung the question on my DM: "Can I have a character have the skill Perform [Awesome]?" He responded sure. Now my Perform [Awesome] is obviously going to have to make the use of such skill. I see him along the lines of Johnny Cage or Johnny Bravo. Manly men. Duke Nukem without the vulgarity.

I'd prefer for him to be tough, clearly. Melee combat is a must, but anything more than that is pure speculation. Throw your ideas at me, I'm in dire need of them.

memorize as many non-vulgar Duke quotes as you can.
same goes for the Old Spice Commercials
Ash from Evil Dead is also a great idea

quotes from Professional wrestlers are over the top and extremely funny (the older the better)
they may also be used.

Radar
2011-06-18, 12:56 PM
memorize as many non-vulgar Duke quotes as you can.
same goes for the Old Spice Commercials
Ash from Evil Dead is also a great idea

quotes from Professional wrestlers are over the top and extremely funny (the older the better)
they may also be used.
Any protagonist from Gurren Lagann would be a good source as well. Just remember to have a specific style in mind, when you pick your quotes. At any rate, remember, that witty one-liners are important for your health (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/4p8/).

Otherworld Odd
2011-06-18, 08:09 PM
Man, I really liked the warblade/bard idea but I brought it up to my DM and he said he's not allowing ToB. -.-. Any other good class ideas? The flavor ideas are all amazing, I'll definitely use them all. Another thing I realized: Can't be awesome without sunglasses and being shirtless.

QuidEst
2011-06-18, 08:31 PM
If you need some Perform(Awesome) material, Manly Guys Doing Manly Things (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/) may be useful. Dr. McNinja certainly has enough awesome stuff as well, but a lot of it requires more setup and framework. Hope that helps!

BlueInc
2011-06-18, 08:32 PM
Has anyone said Brock Samson? He'd be perfect for an cheesy pulp-fiction archeologist game.

Radar
2011-06-19, 06:18 AM
Man, I really liked the warblade/bard idea but I brought it up to my DM and he said he's not allowing ToB. -.-. Any other good class ideas? The flavor ideas are all amazing, I'll definitely use them all. Another thing I realized: Can't be awesome without sunglasses and being shirtless.
Maybe Psychic Warrior? They're moderatly powerful and are still all about manual labour. Besides, you will have the opportunity of saying "Stand aside everyone. I take large steps." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN-ttCBHyx8) when you use Expansion. You can use the well known Tashalatora feat to gain most important Monk abilities and beat demons up barehanded.

Kaeso
2011-06-19, 08:15 AM
1. Confront BBEG
2. Perform (awesome)
3. ????
4. Win the campaign forever.

Shadowknight12
2011-06-19, 08:26 AM
1. Confront BBEG
2. Perform (awesome)
3. ????
4. Win the campaign forever.

5. Spend six months on a hospital bed recovering from bookborne blunt-force trauma.

Kaeso
2011-06-19, 08:31 AM
5. Spend six months on a hospital bed recovering from bookborne blunt-force trauma.

Can't you perform (awesome) those wounds away?

Necroticplague
2011-06-19, 08:34 AM

I think their is a sourcebook called Chainmail bikini where a +5 manly shirt that rips if you take a bit of damage, then gives you CHA to your next roll is a legitimate item.

Shadowknight12
2011-06-19, 08:46 AM
Can't you perform (awesome) those wounds away?

Your character? Perhaps. You, the actual recipient of the wounds? Doubtful. And if you can, please turn yourself in at the nearest medical research facility. Mad Science needs YOU!

Otherworld Odd
2011-06-19, 06:19 PM
I think I may have swayed my DM to allow ToB. >.>

So how many levels should be bard and how many should be warblade?

Also: Of COURSE I'll Perform [Awesome] the BBEG. xD

Serpentine
2011-06-19, 11:08 PM
If you need some Perform(Awesome) material, Manly Guys Doing Manly Things (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/) may be useful. Dr. McNinja certainly has enough awesome stuff as well, but a lot of it requires more setup and framework. Hope that helps!Most bodacious call.
I think I may have swayed my DM to allow ToB. >.>

So how many levels should be bard and how many should be warblade?

Also: Of COURSE I'll Perform [Awesome] the BBEG. xDCool. What were your DM's reasons for being wary of ToB? If it's fluff stuff, well, that can always be reworked. If it's "it makes them too magicky", then that can be fixed, at least to an extent, by your maneuver choices, as well as some refluffing (e.g. for the flamey sword type abilities, I tend to say things like "your blade slices through the air so fast that the oxygen around it catches alight").
Failing that, all I could think of was a Barbarian.

Otherworld Odd
2011-06-20, 01:29 AM
Most bodacious call.Cool. What were your DM's reasons for being wary of ToB? If it's fluff stuff, well, that can always be reworked. If it's "it makes them too magicky", then that can be fixed, at least to an extent, by your maneuver choices, as well as some refluffing (e.g. for the flamey sword type abilities, I tend to say things like "your blade slices through the air so fast that the oxygen around it catches alight").
Failing that, all I could think of was a Barbarian.

I just asked him. Here it is: He played a crusader/swordsage and he realized how 'broken' it could be. He was worried about balance issues.

Edit: I've been looking over the warbard and I'm having some trouble figuring out the point of taking Song of the White Raven. e.e. I found someone on here who said it gave you like +12 to hit but he didn't cite the feats or anything that he was using. Other than that, I'm just trying to figure out how to get it that high. I figured Bard4/Warblade16 would be good.

Serpentine
2011-06-20, 03:44 AM
Broken compared with what, I wonder? I'm pretty terrible at balance-related stuff, though, so I don't have much advice to offer there. Just that if he's worried in that regard, he can just watch what you do, and (presuming this is true...) trust that you're not going to set out to destroy his game.