PDA

View Full Version : Cha-Based Classes

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-18, 01:42 AM
Can i get a list of Charisma-based base classes, both on the boards and in official splatbooks, that would be good for a political intrigue game?

kardar233
2011-06-18, 01:46 AM
Bard, Sorcerer, Wilder, Paladin, Favoured Soul, Beguiler. Those are the ones I can think of right now.

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-18, 01:47 AM
Bard, Sorcerer, Wilder, Paladin, Favoured Soul, Beguiler. Those are the ones I can think of right now.

Beguiler is Int-based but works good for a political game, still i'd prefer Cha based (I have a 24 Cha)

Godskook
2011-06-18, 01:57 AM
Do this:

Human Swordsage 1/Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Swordsage +1/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 6

Take:
Arcane Preparation
Ascetic Mage
Unarmed Swordsage(swordsage variant from the adaptions section)
Able learner

Congrats, you now have Cha to AC, Saves, and Spellcasting. You can get it to attack and damage rolls by buying slippers of battle dancing.

Alternatively

Marshal 1/Dragonfire Adept 19

Take the motivate charisma aura and the beguiling influence invocation. Profit from mildly diplomanced skills.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-18, 02:03 AM
Dread Necromancer I believe is on that list.:smallamused:

Gardener
2011-06-18, 02:11 AM
Alternatively

Marshal 1/Dragonfire Adept 19

Take the motivate charisma aura and the beguiling influence invocation. Profit from mildly diplomanced skills.

Marshal 1/Binder 1/Dragonfire Adept 18 gets in-combat diplomancy via Naberius, if you want to push it.

Warmage and Shugenja are also Cha casters, and Crusader gets some things from charisma. Artificer can use Cha for UMD, but gets more from Int on the whole.

MeeposFire
2011-06-18, 02:21 AM
Binder n general is a lot of fun in that situation especially since he probably needs to keep the binder part a secret.

Psyren
2011-06-18, 02:27 AM
Wilder/Thrallherd. Who needs intrigue when you control both the king and his greatest rival?

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-18, 02:35 AM
First of all, I know you're asking about base classes, but the mindbender PrC from Complete Arcane would be perfect for this. Nothing says "political intrigue" like having the king of the nation being your permanent thrall.

As for Cha based base classes, in addition to what's been mentioned, there is the Warlock, the warmage, the samurai, arguably the spellthief (he's basically an alternative to the rogue, skill wise, just with different flavor and crunch), the knight, the hexblade. (Actually, flavorwise, the hexblade would be really good for this in my opinion).

Good luck with your game! Remember, if you can't solve it with a Bluff check, solve it with a Sleight of Hand check instead. (In the hands of a creative player, the Sleight of Hand skill is as versatile as the major image spell.)

Ravens_cry
2011-06-18, 02:37 AM
Wilder/Thrallherd. Who needs intrigue when you control both the king and his greatest rival?
Ah, but who doesn't love playing with their puppets?

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-18, 10:45 AM
I'm using a modified warlock on one side of the gestalt that replaces fiendish resilience with Cha to AC, Saves, and a few other things on one side of the gestalt. I'm playing a half-vampire, half-nymph (both modified to LA +1) changeling that acts as councilor to a very unlucky king.

I need a Cha based base class to take advantage of the high Cha score (24) without overlapping the warlock. Sorcerer and Beguiler are okay but i have invocations for most of the needed stuff from invocations. Bard also works but i'm playing the veritable spy of the party so it is counter productive. And the warmage and dread necro don't really fit the character.

Binder could work, if i hide the sign most of the time at least, i think i may go with it since it gives a lot of useful abilities but i'll keep it open for now just in case i find something that fits better.

slaydemons
2011-06-18, 11:20 AM
I'm playing a half-vampire, half-nymph (both modified to LA +1) changeling that acts as councilor to a very unlucky king.

I am sorry, your half vampire, half nymph,half doppleganger, half human what is this I don't even

now then isn't favored soul cha based as well?

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-18, 11:23 AM
I am sorry, your half vampire, half nymph,half doppleganger, half human what is this I don't even

now then isn't favored soul cha based as well?

Actually with the modified templates i'm 1/4 each vampire, nymph, human, and doppleganger. And the favored soul doesn't fit.

If someone could list some good Homebrew classes based on Cha (i've been searching for a while) i'd be extremely greatful

LOTRfan
2011-06-18, 11:24 AM
I assume 50% human, 25% Doppelganger, 12.5% nymph, 12.5% vampire.

EDIT: Ninja'd and wrong, never mind.

slaydemons
2011-06-18, 11:25 AM
Actually with the modified templates i'm 1/4 each vampire, nymph, human, and doppleganger. And the favored soul doesn't fit.

If someone could list some good Homebrew classes based on Cha (i've been searching for a while) i'd be extremely greatful

that makes a bit more sense but vampire is a like a disease isn't it? and I think it would fit very well, think about it you would have wings you could say your an angel to guide him, the king would listen to you XD

LOTRfan
2011-06-18, 11:27 AM
According to Libris Mortis, vampires who drain enough blood and mate with a living creature shortly thereafter can produce offspring in the form of Half-Vampires.

It seems sort of silly to me, but, meh.

slaydemons
2011-06-18, 11:28 AM
According to Libris Mortis, vampires who drain enough blood and mate with a living creature shortly thereafter can produce offspring in the form of Half-Vampires.

It seems sort of silly to me, but, meh.

its still a disease in my mind you might be born it but its a disease your born with

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-18, 11:30 AM
that makes a bit more sense but vampire is a like a disease isn't it? and I think it would fit very well, think about it you would have wings you could say your an angel to guide him, the king would listen to you XD

Half-vampire is from Libris Mortis and grants a charm gaze ability i will be using to great effect. It's sorta like Blade without the blood drinking. Passed on by either a mother being bitten while pregnant (Blade) or a vampire that just drank blood concieving the child themselves (my character).

Does not fit the character. My character is all about going unnoticed, favored souls are very noticeable.

slaydemons
2011-06-18, 11:34 AM
Half-vampire is from Libris Mortis and grants a charm gaze ability i will be using to great effect. It's sorta like Blade without the blood drinking. Passed on by either a mother being bitten while pregnant (Blade) or a vampire that just drank blood concieving the child themselves (my character).

Does not fit the character. My character is all about going unnoticed, favored souls are very noticeable.

okay that makes more sense, still a disease, blade doesn't drink blood and my choice is bard it would work wonders, in my head it works, take perform poetry and speak in haiku.

LOTRfan
2011-06-18, 11:34 AM
Shadowcasters, from Tome of Magic, are supposed to be subtle, though mechanically they are meh. They are Tier 4, get a bunch of spell-like abilities that deplete rather quickly, and that's all the class features. Very flavorful, though.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-18, 11:36 AM
Any class with diplomacy and Bluff, and an additional stealth based set sounds like it would work. Rogue?

ericgrau
2011-06-18, 11:37 AM
Circlet of persuasion gives a +3 to cha based skills and cha checks for a mere 4500 gp. Spells like charm person are good for out of combat political intrigue, and it involved an opposed cha check to influence your new friend. Enchantments and divinations in general become more important. Still spell, silent spell and eschew materials become more important so people don't see you casting, or else getting certain spells as SLAs using racial abilities or archmage levels for example. Fortunately many of the enchantments are verbal only (no somatic or material) so you may get away with only silent spell. Or silent spell + casting while invisible for other spells, but then you can't do that while face to face with someone.

Bard may be good for skills, enchantments, divinations, glibness, spontaneously appliable still/silence, and knowledges.

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-18, 11:40 AM
Shadowcasters, from Tome of Magic, are supposed to be subtle, though mechanically they are meh. They are Tier 4, get a bunch of spell-like abilities that deplete rather quickly, and that's all the class features. Very flavorful, though.

RoC's Decent of Shadows Project. I'll look to see if anything there fits. If not, eh, i'll probably go with the binder, the sorcerer, or a homebrew class.

I may also ask to make beguiler Cha-based and use that but ATM my modified warlock//binder sounds good. Both are solid tier 3s so their shouldn't be much of a problem.

jvluso
2011-06-18, 11:43 AM
Person_Man's handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) is useful when trying to make a SAD build.

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-18, 11:52 AM
Person_Man's handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) is useful when trying to make a SAD build.

Useful but Cha is sparse, and i'm already getting most of thise bonuses through my modified warlock.

Godskook
2011-06-18, 11:59 AM
okay that makes more sense, still a disease, blade doesn't drink blood and my choice is bard it would work wonders, in my head it works, take perform poetry and speak in haiku.

Blade doesn't drink blood cause he takes shots of something that keep the urge at bay.

Morph Bark
2011-06-18, 12:20 PM
Asking to make Beguiler Cha-based you could do. TBH for the first few sessions of my current campaign we thought Beguiler casting was Cha-based, until the player read further into it.

Though if he'd allow that in this Gestalt I don't see why you couldn't instead try go for a Cha-based Factotum since then you could get some passive bonuses in there too.

its still a disease in my mind you might be born it but its a disease your born with

So it's like AIDS?

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-18, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies, i found what i'm looking for (Dreamscarred Press has some good stuff).

blazingshadow
2011-06-18, 01:15 PM
a set of enslavement rings from underdark might help with the whole political intrigue if you distribute the rings strategically enough. they are prohibitely expensive though

Talya
2011-06-18, 01:43 PM
Half-Vampires. Blech. Tell me that at least you don't "Sparkle."

Morph Bark
2011-06-18, 02:58 PM

He could still have that from the nymph side of the family. :smallwink:

HappyBlanket
2011-06-18, 04:08 PM

He's a half vampire, half nymph changeling. Templates have been stacked. Sparkling is the least of our worries.

Amphetryon
2011-06-18, 10:04 PM
Shugenja is a CHA caster. So is Spirit Shaman.