PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Help!

Razputin
2011-06-18, 02:22 AM
Alright, so obviously I am asking for help with my campaign... Figured I'd make the thread self explanatory...
I recently just started DM'ing after playing different types of RPG's for nearly 10 years. And I am finding myself quite nervous, simply because two of my players are both not only experienced players, but Very experienced DMs. So I am slightly nervous that they can easily mess with my head, even though I am the DM, they still know more. I do know the Golden Rule though, what the DM says, Goes.

SO I have been trying to work out some of the mechanics for my campaign and need a little help.

One of the essential pieces to my campaign are a collection of artifact blades. If any of you have ever heard of or played the Greyhawk modules "Five Shall Be One" or "Howls from the North" I had the idea for the collection of blades Before this, but it certainly helped flesh out my own game.
I borrowed some of the ideas from the modules, and sadly they never finished the trilogy, so while I borrowed some of the ideas I am stuck with several lose threads.
The first being, I am using this for lower level PC's, they are currently 4th level... And in the modules the players were 7-10. Meaning the weapon bonuses were +3... How would you advice I balance it out? OR Make the weapons grow With the players?
Example:
Dragon's Chant (Sorcerer's Spear) - +1/+2/+3 to Attack and Damage.
Would it make sense for the weapon to become more powerful as the player gains levels or when more of the weapons were united? Especially counting that they display transcendent abilities when they are together.

Which brings me to point Two... The first module speaks of the weapons having latent powers that have not been revealed yet, obviously to be seen in the next books OR granted by the DM. But as a starting DM I am not sure what abilities could be overpowered, or not powerful enough.
Example:
In "Five Shall be One" - Dragon's Chant (Called Dreamsinger in the module,) and Greenswathe "merge" their powers to create a powerful, mass sleep spell. Later in the same module three blades display another joined power - Creating a whirlwind around the group while they charge, before teleporting the group from the caves.

- I know this is a long post, so please stick with me.-

This may not seem like an important concern for more experienced DM's, but for myself ( a person who likes knowing all the details before hand) it feels rather annoying. So a suggestion here would be nice.

the weapons I have created/modified are:

Dragon's Chant (Sorcerer's Spear) +1/2/3, -1 Distraction to AC, +1 to S.T.'s
Dreams - Predicts future events (key to the campaign)
Abilities - +1 spell known per spell level
- Firespear (Max 240') 6d10, only activates in combat when directly forwarding the joint of the collection.
- Others??
Spells - Hypnotism, Augury. Was thinking of another "mind" spell??

Emerald Fang (Druid's Scimitar) +1/2/3, -1 AC, +1 to S.T.'s
Piercing Strike - 1/day, ignore All armor bonuses, crit on successful hit
Abilities - +1 Spell/day per spell level (from Plant/Animal Domain)
- Allows druid to gain natural skill bonuses while in animal form
Latent Power - ??

Stalker (Ranger's Longsword) +1/2/3, +1 to Intelligence and Wisdom
Affinity - +4 Charisma to Dogs/Wolves
- Speak with Animals 3/day
Abilities - +2/5/10 to Hide and Move Silently, +4 to Track
Spells - Invisibility (Self, from animals, and from undead)
Latent Powers - ?? The book Specifically mentions it has undiscovered powers, but they never go on to say what they are. Any ideas?

Midnight's Talon (Rogue's Longsword/Rapier/Scimitar) +1/2/3, Keen, ??
Poisoned Daggers x3 - +1/2 Flying Daggers 1d3, DC 18 Fort vs Psn 1d4
- Daggers can be fired in 1 round, but must be retrieved.
- If two of the daggers are lost, the third loses its flying/psn
Abilities - Ash Cloud (Same as Fog Cloud, pg. 232 in PHB)
- Vampiric Claw - Heal 1/2 base dmg. Target Must be at 1 health
- ??
Special - Fatal Edge, on a natural 18 or 20 the blade slices through was in its way. Weapons must make a roll vs disintegration/sunder at a -3, as does armor, the item loses a magical plus in the result of a failure.

Harmonizer (Paladin's Greatsword) +5 Defender
Equal Footing - When the Paladin issues a challenge, the sword grants the same abilities to whichever opponent is weaker, making both individuals face on even terms.
Duplicates - When the blade is first acquired it scans the area for enemies and allies, summoning Identical copies of the group to determine if the new wielder is worthy.
Latent Powers - ??

The two others are
Seraphim (Cleric's "blade")
- Thinking of extra/empowering abilities obviously... But it will not come into play unless one of the current PC's dies, as there is no cleric in group.

Titan's Ferocity/Titan's Vigil (Warrior's Greatsword/Two-Bladed Sword)
- The idea for this artifact is that it would measure up the style of the fighter, and determine whether to increase his attack or defense. Or something like that. I have been trying to figure out the first 5.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since I am just starting out.. Any Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!!

- Raz