PDA

View Full Version : Can chameleons cast sanctified spells

thugsb
2011-06-18, 11:30 AM
As the title. All it requires to be on a spell list, but I'm not sure they're actually on any spell-lists.

I specifically want to know for the arcane chameleon, although I doubt it'll make a difference? Thanks!

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-06-18, 12:49 PM
As I recall, BoED says that any prepared caster can prepare and cast them despite the fact that they're not on any class's list. Chameleons should be able to cast them just fine.

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-18, 12:51 PM
As I recall, BoED says that any prepared caster can prepare and cast them despite the fact that they're not on any class's list. Chameleons should be able to cast them just fine.

Evil Chameleon: "Look dude, I'm totally not evil. Let me prove it to you!"

And then he casts a battery of sanctified blasting spells, conveniently slaughtering his evil-aligned rivals.

God I love Chameleon.

thugsb
2011-06-18, 01:45 PM
Wait, so the chameleon could cast them and be evil?

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-06-18, 01:55 PM
Wait, so the chameleon could cast them and be evil?

Unfortunately not. The full rules quote:

Spellcasters prepare sanctified spells just as they do regular spells, and casters who do not prepare spells (including sorcerers and bards) cannot make use of them except from a scroll. Evil characters cannot cast sanctified spells, including ones cast from magic items.
[...]
Sanctified spells are specific to no character class. They are neither inherently arcane nor divine spells. A divine caster casting a sanctified spell casts it as a divine spell, while an arcane caster casts it as an arcane spell.

The fact that they can be cast by any prepared casting class doesn't mean they can be cast by any prepared casting character; alignment restrictions still apply.

thugsb
2011-06-18, 02:12 PM
OK good. I thought that would be ridiculous. I still find it surprising neutral characters can cast sanctified spells!

I mean, the description even states: "For those willing to utterly devote themselves to good, great power awaits in the form of sanctified magic." That's not neutral characters. But RAW, neutral casters can.

Zaq
2011-06-18, 02:17 PM
OK good. I thought that would be ridiculous. I still find it surprising neutral characters can cast sanctified spells!

I mean, the description even states: "For those willing to utterly devote themselves to good, great power awaits in the form of sanctified magic." That's not neutral characters. But RAW, neutral casters can.

Yup. I'm actually quite fond of the fact that neutral characters can cast sanctified magic. Why should evil be the only side with the whole "tempts through great (but costly) power" schtick?

thugsb
2011-06-18, 02:19 PM
There should be a Book of Balance for neutral casters. ;)

Big Fau
2011-06-18, 02:23 PM

It'd never get printed because 3.5 is unbalanced.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-18, 02:24 PM

Or Book of Indifferent Neutrality.

TN characters never get much love. On the other hand, there is no 'smite neutral' or 'protection from neutral' stuff.

Zaq
2011-06-18, 02:24 PM

Good god. With the uncomfortable morality in BoED and BoVD, I can only shudder to think of what WotC would serve up as being the pinnacle of balance.

I'd probably be less scared of it than I would of a Book of Lawful Dicta and a Book of Chaotic Derangement (yes, I know and you know that chaos and insanity aren't the same thing, but do you expect the folks who wrote BoED and BoVD to realize that?), but I'm still scared of it.

Or Book of Indifferent Neutrality.

TN characters never get much love. On the other hand, there is no 'smite neutral' or 'protection from neutral' stuff.

They do get a Holy Word-equivalent, though. Word of Balance.

Big Fau
2011-06-18, 02:44 PM
Good god. With the uncomfortable morality in BoED and BoVD, I can only shudder to think of what WotC would serve up as being the pinnacle of balance.

Shot in the dark: 23 ranks.

NNescio
2011-06-18, 02:47 PM

I'd probably be less scared of it than I would of a Book of Lawful Dicta and a Book of Chaotic Derangement (yes, I know and you know that chaos and insanity aren't the same thing, but do you expect the folks who wrote BoED and BoVD to realize that?), but I'm still scared of it.

Hmm... Balance? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BalanceBetweenGoodAndEvil)

Time for some AD&D madness:

...True neutral characters believe in the ultimate balance of forces, and they refuse to see actions as either good or evil. Since the majority of people in the world make judgements, true neutral characters are extremely rare. True neutrals do their best to avoid siding with the forces of either good or evil, law or chaos. It is their duty to see that all of these forces remain in balanced contention.

True neutral characters sometimes find themselves forced into rather peculiar alliances. To a great extent, they are compelled to side with the underdog in any given situation, sometimes even changing sides as the previous loser becomes the winner. A true neutral druid might join the local barony to put down a tribe of evil gnolls, only to drop out or switch sides when the gnolls were brought to the brink of destruction. He would seek to prevent either side from becoming too powerful. Clearly, there are very few true neutral characters in the world.

So, druids have Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. They think themselves as Beyond Good and Evil. Gotcha.

Mordenkainen's role in the Flanaess is quite an unusual one - he has been described as a form of one-man peacekeeping force. Trying to prevent wars and conflicts, he operates according to some bizarre theory based on power balance and Neutrality, trying to keep neither Good nor Evil from getting the upper hand. Exactly how this is done is not entirely clear, but he is very manipulative and operates very much from the shadows.

"Mordenkainen the Archmage formed the Circle of Eight as a tool to manipulate political factions of the Flanaess, preserving the delicate balance of power in hopes of maintaining stability and sanity in the region. Mordenkainen's view of 'enforced neutrality' is not a tit-for-tat equality but rather a detailed theoretical philosophy derived from decades of arcane research. He has fought ardently for the forces of Good, most recently during the Greyhawk Wars, but just as often has worked on darker plots to achieve his ends."

Another crazy bastard.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-18, 02:48 PM
They do get a Holy Word-equivalent, though. Word of Balance.

'Punish the non-indifferent!' :smallfurious:

Always wondered about that...

Then again, some spells with alignment descriptors actually don't really fit, sometimes. Like that good version of Mindrape that replaces the target's personality with your own (not mind seed, the other one).

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-06-18, 03:11 PM
'Punish the non-indifferent!' :smallfurious:

Always wondered about that...

It's more like
Solar: "I will smite you, evildoer!"
Balor: "I will kill you, goody-two-shoes!"
Solar: "Good is superior!"
Balor: "Evil is superior!"
Solar: "Good!"
Balor: "Evil!"
Druid: "Word of Balance!"
Solar: "Ow."
Balor: "Ow."
Druid: "You're both too extreme. Now take your godsdamned moral debate somwhere else."

Then again, some spells with alignment descriptors actually don't really fit, sometimes. Like that good version of Mindrape that replaces the target's personality with your own (not mind seed, the other one).

Sanctify the wicked, you mean? I don't think that's a mind seed/mind rape combo, I'm pretty sure that just turns you Good.

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-18, 03:27 PM
I think ya'll might be thinking of Programmed Amnesia.

thugsb
2011-06-18, 04:04 PM
Wow, posts here really get off-topic! :smallamused:

Psyren
2011-06-18, 04:14 PM
I think ya'll might be thinking of Programmed Amnesia.

Neutral: Programmed Amnesia
Evil: Mindrape
Just as Evil Good: Sanctify the Wicked

Big Fau
2011-06-18, 04:33 PM
Wow, posts here really get off-topic! :smallamused:

Topic is a word with no definition here.