PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/Pathfinder] Question about deities and their subdomains

Zejety
2011-06-18, 11:59 AM
I want to port some deities from an other system to Pathfinder.
I don't have a lot of experience with subdomains though and that's where my question arises from:

Are there any conventions about how many subdomains a deity should have? One per domain? If a deity covers all aspects of a domain, should it have neither subdomain or both of them?

Thanks in advance!

Othniel Edden
2011-06-18, 12:38 PM
The impression I get from the PRD is that a deity can have one, none or both depending on whether it fits in their portfolio or not.

Golden-Esque
2011-06-18, 02:04 PM
The basic rule for assigning domains and subdomains to a deity is to give them what makes sense for your game.

Using Order of the Stick as an example, you could get away with giving both Odin and Loki the Trickery Domain; Loki's title is the trickster, after all, and Odin was well-known for traveling around the world appearing as an old mortal. Trickery's subdomains are Deception and Thievery. While giving both to Loki makes sense, being a somewhat dark god and all that, Thievery is not in the spirit of Odin's domains, as he's a good god with no myths involving outright theft.