PDA

View Full Version : Adventuring in a tree!

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 02:34 PM
So I had an idea for my next adventure that I'm running, where the party has to save a colossal treant from the bugs inside him. The party would be shrunk down to tiny or smaller; and they'd adventure through, killing vermin and an evil druid/blighter in the center of the tree.

Any ideas for what encounters I should throw in here? I'm already thinking a spider or two for fun (they'd be giant compared to the party).

The druid I think will be posessed by "the spirit of decay", or more commonly known as this! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bu-U4HX5aQ)

hivedragon
2011-06-18, 02:38 PM
Any ideas for what encounters I should throw in here? I'm already thinking a spider or two for fun (they'd be giant compared to the party).

Why would the party kill spiders?
Spiders feed on harmful insects.
They are on your side.

Termites sound like the best bug to go after.

Codemus
2011-06-18, 02:41 PM
Throw a tiny Angel of Decay at them. :smallwink:

Nah, but seriously, what about some oozes?

Big Fau
2011-06-18, 02:42 PM
They are on your side.

Spiders would also try to attack the party or would trap party members. Their webs are hard to spot, even when you are the same size as the spider in question (there's a reason they have eight eyes).

Connington
2011-06-18, 02:43 PM

Presumably because the spiders attack first. But it could be amusing to tell the players not to kill the spiders (or the hordes of tree defending ants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia#Symbiosis)) when the little beasties aren't going to extend any such courtesies to the players.

Edit: Swordsaged

Zaq
2011-06-18, 02:45 PM
Queen Gohma?

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 02:51 PM
They are on your side.

I could throw in giant termites. That'd be fun too!

About oozes, great idea! I think I'll throw in a few, it fits with the big toxic bad guy.

Acacia bugs!~ I love that. The druid will recognize them and have to deal with them nonhostile, or something of that effect.

Are there any good druid wildshapes that have the creepy feel? A good bug or should I stick with Rukanyr (Fiend Folio, has like ten attacks, aberration)?

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 02:53 PM
Queen Gohma?

Ah, I liked that idea too. My druid player is in love with Ocarina of Time, so I thought about it. I was thinking that a giant spider would be the animal companion of the Big bad evil druid. :)

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-18, 02:57 PM
Throwing in some oozes might be a tad difficult 'cause trees are organic.

You would end up with a bunch of square holes containing cubes absolutely sick of the taste of wood.

BlueInc
2011-06-18, 02:58 PM
How about some tiny fey spirits that try to beguile them and get them lost in the maze?

Big Fau
2011-06-18, 02:59 PM
Take a look at Jet Force Gemini's bosses (all of them are insect-like, including a pair of Praying Manti).

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 03:02 PM
How about some tiny fey spirits that try to beguile them and get them lost in the maze?

...Why didn't I think of that? Yes, this is happening. Fantastic idea.

Hey, if I don't shrink down some of the fey, they'll be human size to the party! haha.

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 03:06 PM
Throwing in some oozes might be a tad difficult 'cause trees are organic.

You would end up with a bunch of square holes containing cubes absolutely sick of the taste of wood.

I could custom make them. Or they could drop from the ceiling (through the pores of the wood). It'll be fun!... for me.

BlueInc
2011-06-18, 03:10 PM
Shadows moving through the wood and lashing out at them might be interesting.

A Stirge might be terrifying at their size if you buff it up.

As for fey, you could also a Small fey, but it would be as tall as a troll to them.

I really like the idea of using something mundane whose massive size makes them brutal, like an owl or a woodpecker.

Also: make these guys the tree spirits.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-GUzn8mEUYQ/TD38UStbJ6I/AAAAAAAAAI8/7YlVJuUlZVg/s1600/Mononoke_Kodama.jpg

PLEASE.

hivedragon
2011-06-18, 03:10 PM
Don't forget fungi
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_90.jpg

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 03:20 PM
Shadows moving through the wood and lashing out at them might be interesting.

A Stirge might be terrifying at their size if you buff it up.

As for fey, you could also a Small fey, but it would be as tall as a troll to them.

I really like the idea of using something mundane whose massive size makes them brutal, like an owl or a woodpecker.

Also: make these guys the tree spirits.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-GUzn8mEUYQ/TD38UStbJ6I/AAAAAAAAAI8/7YlVJuUlZVg/s1600/Mononoke_Kodama.jpg

PLEASE.

I really need to watch that movie again. Haha. Since we have a shaman (from the Shaman's Handbook, a d20 supplement) as well, tree spirits are an awesome idea. I think I'll watch it and throw it in as some flavor. And the shadows attacking would be corrupted tree spirits.

About the fungi, what book would they be in? Or perhaps the Oozes are really fungi... I don't know.

Zaq
2011-06-18, 03:29 PM
Are your players fond of AoE attacks? Add something to remind them that they're inside the body of something they want to save. The walls are not acceptable collateral damage at this point . . .

BlueInc
2011-06-18, 03:32 PM
Those are Myconids from MM2. They take class levels and could be allies or enemies, depending on your bent.

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 03:34 PM
Those are Myconids from MM2. They take class levels and could be allies or enemies, depending on your bent.

I think I'll do a little of both. I'm going to have the corruption affect everything in that tree, from bugs to fungus. I think a war of fungus on fungus would be interesting.

BlueInc
2011-06-18, 03:37 PM
I really like this idea :D

How about having sap on the battlefield? Use the stats for tanglefoot bags if the player steps in a sticky spot.

Tanglefoot Bag

When you throw a tanglefoot bag at a creature (as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet), the bag comes apart and the goo bursts out, entangling the target and then becoming tough and resilient upon exposure to air. An entangled creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity and must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be glued to the floor, unable to move. Even on a successful save, it can move only at half speed. Huge or larger creatures are unaffected by a tanglefoot bag. A flying creature is not stuck to the floor, but it must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be unable to fly (assuming it uses its wings to fly) and fall to the ground. A tanglefoot bag does not function underwater.

A creature that is glued to the floor (or unable to fly) can break free by making a DC 17 Strength check or by dealing 15 points of damage to the goo with a slashing weapon. A creature trying to scrape goo off itself, or another creature assisting, does not need to make an attack roll; hitting the goo is automatic, after which the creature that hit makes a damage roll to see how much of the goo was scraped off. Once free, the creature can move (including flying) at half speed. A character capable of spellcasting who is bound by the goo must make a DC 15 Concentration check to cast a spell. The goo becomes brittle and fragile after 2d4 rounds, cracking apart and losing its effectiveness. An application of universal solvent to a stuck creature dissolves the alchemical goo immediately.

[EDIT] I think the reason I love this so much is it reminds me of Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest XD

Draz74
2011-06-18, 03:38 PM
They should run into a similarly-shrunken yellow school bus. Driven by a teacher with horn-rimmed glasses and mad scientist hair.

BlueInc
2011-06-18, 03:39 PM
They should run into a similarly-shrunken yellow school bus. Driven by a teacher with horn-rimmed glasses and mad scientist hair.

This never happened with my OLD DM...

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 03:47 PM
I really like this idea :D

How about having sap on the battlefield? Use the stats for tanglefoot bags if the player steps in a sticky spot.

Tanglefoot Bag

When you throw a tanglefoot bag at a creature (as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet), the bag comes apart and the goo bursts out, entangling the target and then becoming tough and resilient upon exposure to air. An entangled creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity and must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be glued to the floor, unable to move. Even on a successful save, it can move only at half speed. Huge or larger creatures are unaffected by a tanglefoot bag. A flying creature is not stuck to the floor, but it must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be unable to fly (assuming it uses its wings to fly) and fall to the ground. A tanglefoot bag does not function underwater.

A creature that is glued to the floor (or unable to fly) can break free by making a DC 17 Strength check or by dealing 15 points of damage to the goo with a slashing weapon. A creature trying to scrape goo off itself, or another creature assisting, does not need to make an attack roll; hitting the goo is automatic, after which the creature that hit makes a damage roll to see how much of the goo was scraped off. Once free, the creature can move (including flying) at half speed. A character capable of spellcasting who is bound by the goo must make a DC 15 Concentration check to cast a spell. The goo becomes brittle and fragile after 2d4 rounds, cracking apart and losing its effectiveness. An application of universal solvent to a stuck creature dissolves the alchemical goo immediately.

[EDIT] I think the reason I love this so much is it reminds me of Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest XD

you know, when you write something of this kinda scale, you forget about the little things. Like, sap. I'm gonna do that.

Big Fau
2011-06-18, 04:34 PM

This a million times over.