PDA

View Full Version : Thri-Kreen

zoobob9
2011-06-18, 03:01 PM
What is the playground's view on Thri-Kreen from the Expanded Psiconics Handbook? They seem fun to roleplay and could potentially have 22 dex at first level. They seem like the perfect ranger because of their arms, and as a barbarian they could add 2.5 their str mod when wielding a one handed weapon; this during a rage could be devastating. As brain based class they're awful, but for a martial class they seem perfect. Thoughts?

Greenish
2011-06-18, 03:14 PM
2 RHD, 2 LA is a bit rough (though there's a non-psionic version for only 1 LA), but there aren't that many ways of gaining extra arms without casting (or meldshaping).

Also, they'd need a four-handed weapon to add 2.5x Str to damage.

Zonugal
2011-06-18, 03:15 PM
They are pretty much the General Grievous of D&D, which means they are very good when coupled with multi-weapon fighting and the tiger claw school from Tome of Battle.

myancey
2011-06-18, 03:21 PM
I think they're pretty cool. And I've heard of some pretty wicked builds you can make with these guys.

FMArthur
2011-06-18, 03:33 PM
I feel like they are a little too perfect as multiweapon fighters. The logical extreme of pretty much any TWF build is to be a Thri-Kreen with MWF instead, and I don't really like the fact that a ridiculous thing like a bug-man wielding four weapons is the optimal form of such a popular fantasy combat style. Overall I don't have such a problem with them that I change or remove them in my games, but I don't really like Thri-Kreen. Mechanically, they are a solid race that is easy to optimize despite the RHD and LA.

Zonugal
2011-06-18, 03:42 PM
I feel like they are a little too perfect as multiweapon fighters. The logical extreme of pretty much any TWF build is to be a Thri-Kreen with MWF instead, and I don't really like the fact that a ridiculous thing like a bug-man wielding four weapons is the optimal form of such a popular fantasy combat style. Overall I don't have such a problem with them that I change or remove them in my games, but I don't really like Thri-Kreen. Mechanically, they are a solid race that is easy to optimize despite the RHD and LA.

I agree to a certain degree so I've only ever used them as mini-bosses. They make great antagonists when I need to invoke the certain amount of fear & tension from the party.