PDA

View Full Version : Player grabbed an ooze

Major
2011-06-18, 05:22 PM
So...I had a player stick his hand in a black pudding...sure, normally it only destroys metal, but when a player SEES it destroy the other player's greatsword and then runs up and sticks his arm in it I have a hard time not making something happen.

If this can "instantly dissolve a greatsword" I would think it would dissolve the player's arm...how exactly can I deal with player's punching, hugging, and otherwise manhandling black puddings and other oozes?

Cespenar
2011-06-18, 05:26 PM
Black pudding deals +2d6 acid damage on its attacks, so deal him that damage each time he "handles" the ooze.

Otherwise, you can grant the black pudding a free "constrict" attack as well, at 2d6+4 plus 2d6 acid damage.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-18, 05:28 PM
Well, given my inexperience in D&D I don't know anything about the specifics of Black Ooze. But, given my experience in a 6th grade chemistry class, I do know that "corrosive to metal" =/= "corrosive to flesh."

If it specifically destroys metal, and only metal, sticking your hand in it shouldn't do you any harm.

Major
2011-06-18, 05:28 PM
So if you stab an ooze it instantly destroys your weapon, but if you grab it you just take a little damage?

ericgrau
2011-06-18, 05:32 PM
Acid (Ex)
The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly

It's not only metal.

Major
2011-06-18, 05:34 PM
Yes, but the instant dissolve and "21 reflex save" only say weapons and armor.

Chess435
2011-06-18, 05:36 PM
I'd say that you make him lose the relevant part of his body. Bonus points for a gory description and a Darwin Award.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-18, 05:36 PM
So if you stab an ooze it instantly destroys your weapon, but if you grab it you just take a little damage?

Just looked at the entry, and yes, I believe that's accurate.

I'd say that you make him lose the relevant part of his body. Bonus points for a gory description and a Darwin Award.

But why? It's not that harmful... Making a character lose his arm after sticking it into a Black Pudding is like making the character explode after sticking his hand in water. If he's not made out of metal or sodium, he's fine.

I mean, what am I missing here? I feel like there's some huge clause that's somehow escaping me, despite it apparently being the most obvious thing in the world for the OP.

Major
2011-06-18, 05:37 PM

See that's what I was thinking and was just curious if it was too cruel. What downsides should a person lose for loss of their right hand?

Perhaps just can't ever duel-wield?

IthroZada
2011-06-18, 05:40 PM
I would go with the little damage, his character would immediately recoil his hand in pain, involuntarily, which would be quicker than trying to pull his sword away (which isn't packed with nerve endings screaming at him to get away.)

The Dark Fiddler
2011-06-18, 05:42 PM
Yes, but the instant dissolve and "21 reflex save" only say weapons and armor.

Unarmed strikes are weapons.kindasorta

HappyBlanket
2011-06-18, 05:44 PM
Unarmed strikes are weapons.

Acid (Ex)

The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage, and the opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless they succeed on DC 21 Reflex saves. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a black pudding also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 21 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

The pudding’s acidic touch deals 21 points of damage per round to wooden or metal objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Emphasis mine. (Well obviously, but I need to fill those 10 chars somehow)
edit: So unless your character is a Warforged (which I think has wooden components), you're fine. And even then, the stone parts are mostly unharmed.

Major
A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a black pudding also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 21 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

So it's actually metal or wooden weapons. The earlier part says it "quickly dissolves organic and metal" the reflex part says that it instantly dissolves without the save.

Jack DeCoeur
I'd say dissolving the player's hand is perhaps a little harsh. However, that being said, if you did do it, then it could be an interesting side quest for them to attempt to find someone/gather the resources so that they can have a Regenerate spell cast on it and regain the lost limb...

Major
2011-06-18, 05:48 PM
Especially since magic is illegal and they are the ones hunting down and killing mages.

Oh irony when he needs a mage to save him...heh, this could connect the two games that I'm running (mages and government).

However, while I agree that by rules it isn't instantly destroyed, at the same time by rules the "organic" (aka his arm) would quickly dissolve. The question is how would he stop that "quick dissolving"

Kylarra
2011-06-18, 05:51 PM
That's fluff, not rules. Otherwise it would be explicitly spelled out like it is for Fire Elementals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#fireElemental).

Bhaakon
2011-06-18, 05:56 PM
See that's what I was thinking and was just curious if it was too cruel. What downsides should a person lose for loss of their right hand?

Perhaps just can't ever duel-wield?

No using weapons two-handed, losing a ring slot, arguably can't use gloves (bracers too, if he lost his forearm), penalties on skills that involve using hands (disable device, open lock, climb, sleight of hand, use rope, etc), penalties on lifting capacity. He might still be able to use a shield if he still has a forearm, but penalties on shield bash attempts, and it would have to be specially made. He also might be able to dual wield if he works up some kind of prosthetic with a blade.

So, yeah, probably a bit harsh.

mint
2011-06-18, 05:56 PM
It isn't just a little damage. To a non-violent hobo it is death.
But he should lose his arm. It is for the best.

kardar233
2011-06-18, 05:58 PM
Dragon 318 has a Hook-prosthetic, just in case you want to be a pirate.

Talentless
2011-06-18, 06:08 PM
Emphasis mine. (Well obviously, but I need to fill those 10 chars somehow)
edit: So unless your character is a Warforged (which I think has wooden components), you're fine. And even then, the stone parts are mostly unharmed.

Read again, it says that any attack deals constrict and ACID damage. Just because it doesn't say specifically that organic material is dissolved in the followup sentence doesn't mean that it isn't affected. That is some serious wordplay and semantics to try and prove otherwise.

Seriously, it says Acid damage, damage is damage, so the player takes the damage for shoving his arm inside the damn thing.

Major
2011-06-18, 06:08 PM
Well the player just cut off his own arm so...

ericgrau
2011-06-18, 06:09 PM
It dissolves organic material regardless. Just deal him the 2d6 acid. Same as a slam or constrict, which is just about as covered in acid as grabbing the thing yourself.

If you mean his clothing and armor, ya that should dissolve right away.

Fluffwise he has acid burns all over his arms. If he loses half his hp voluntarily and not from slam attacks maybe you could ad hoc something where he can't use his arms or some such, but below that much damage I wouldn't worry.

Major
2011-06-18, 06:10 PM
The hand chopping was pretty cool until he passed out...

Major
2011-06-18, 06:13 PM
Dragon 318 has a Hook-prosthetic, just in case you want to be a pirate.

I glanced at any, any mundane ones? Most the ones I've seen are super expensive.

kardar233
2011-06-18, 06:31 PM
Not sure what you're asking, but the thing is 8gp for a punching dagger with an extra crit multiplier.

Major
2011-06-18, 06:35 PM
Not sure what you're asking, but the thing is 8gp for a punching dagger with an extra crit multiplier.

Odd...must be looking at something different. What page? I only see magical ones.

Worira
2011-06-18, 06:55 PM
Strictly speaking, the black pudding doesn't do damage to unarmed attackers at all, but it would be an entirely reasonable and probably very common houserule to say that it does the 2d6 acid damage. Ruling that it instantly dissolves their hand makes no sense at all, though. After all, it can grapple you without you instantly dissolving.

kardar233
2011-06-18, 06:58 PM
Odd...must be looking at something different. What page? I only see magical ones.

I'm referring to a non-official reference document, but it says here p. 53.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-18, 08:20 PM
After all, it can grapple you without you instantly dissolving.

If you instantly dissolve when you grapple it, you're fighting a Sphere of Annihilation, not a Black Pudding.

MeeposFire
2011-06-19, 12:19 AM
Just so you know in real life acid is very destructive to metal but not as much to most organic materials (which is the flavor of the black pudding yum!). Of course a strong acid will deal nasty "burns" but it is nothing like it does to metal. Now a base has the opposite effect. It does not harm metals anything like it destroys organic compounds such as you. Do not fall into a high molar vat of lye as that would be a faster death than the same concentration of acid (though a slower death might be worse).

NNescio
2011-06-19, 12:28 AM
Just so you know in real life acid is very destructive to metal but not as much to most organic materials (which is the flavor of the black pudding yum!). Of course a strong acid will deal nasty "burns" but it is nothing like it does to metal. Now a base has the opposite effect. It does not harm metals anything like it destroys organic compounds such as you. Do not fall into a high molar vat of lye as that would be a faster death than the same concentration of acid (though a slower death might be worse).

Chemistry. Does. Not. Work. That. Way. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_process)

HappyBlanket
2011-06-19, 01:42 AM
Well the player just cut off his own arm so...

Oh. Well.

I guess that's that then.

Read again, it says that any attack deals constrict and ACID damage. Just because it doesn't say specifically that organic material is dissolved in the followup sentence doesn't mean that it isn't affected. That is some serious wordplay and semantics to try and prove otherwise.

Seriously, it says Acid damage, damage is damage, so the player takes the damage for shoving his arm inside the damn thing.

Constrict damage?

And yes, yes, I know the player takes damage. Thanks for clearing that up, since I obviously figured this player's ingenious tactical maneuver would leave him unharmed. But, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the apparently gross assumption that there exists a rather thick line between "takes 2d6 acid damage" and "melts his arm down to the bone."

Necroticplague
2011-06-19, 08:16 AM
If you instantly dissolve when you grapple it, you're fighting a Sphere of Annihilation, not a Black Pudding.

A sphere of annihilation is an item, not a creature. An Umbral Blot, on the other hand...

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-19, 08:21 AM
I want to know why losing your arm would qualify you for a Darwin Award.

big teej
2011-06-19, 01:03 PM
up some kind of prosthetic with a blade.

stump knife, Arms and Equipment Guide.

to further contribute.

if your game has a reputation for being harsh, dissolving the arm is the way to go, you've set numerous precedents for punishing stupidity/lack of forethought, and HE STUCK HIS ARM IN A LIVING PUDDLE OF ACID

if your game is typically only as harsh as the books say to be (not very in comparison) then I'd go with the slower acid damage, with perhaps something similar to caltrop wounds (- 2 penatly, yadda yadda yadda, cured by magical healing etc)

also, in the Quintessential Barbarian (3rd party book) there is a drinking game called...
called.............

okay I can't remember, but the premise of the game is to stick your hand in boiling water and hold it there as long as you can. it also gives rules for the damage this inflicts on your body, might be worth taking a look at it.