PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a convoluted NPC build

3drinks
2011-06-18, 08:12 PM
Alright. So it's one of my NPCs for my campaign(my "boss" type, for lack of a better description), I want to make into a Duskblade...but I also want him as a Cleric(no patron deity) with the domains Strength & Magic. Now, I need a way to enable myself to progress both his spellcasting abilities(like mystic theurge, for example) without neglecting his other abilities granted by the Duskblade class.

I don't like the mystic theurge because I literally gain nothing other than the casting and a measly d4 hit die. I do know of the existence of the almighty Arcane Hierophant(of which, does anybody have a link to the prereqs and class info for that so I can look it over) but the Arcane Hierophant needs to be a Druid for trackless step...which I could justify making Druid/Duskblade, but then I wouldn't be Cleric with those domains...and I'd still need a way to continue both forms of casting and my Duskblade abilities.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Amnestic
2011-06-18, 08:17 PM
If he's a "boss" type, why not just make him a Gestalt Duskblade//Cleric?

sonofzeal
2011-06-18, 08:21 PM
Let's back up a second.

What exactly is your final goal? "Duskblade" and "Cleric" are mere tools to an end. What is the end goal you have in mind? What should your boss be capable of? And try not to make reference to any particular class...

Zonugal
2011-06-18, 08:26 PM
I do know of the existence of the almighty Arcane Hierophant(of which, does anybody have a link to the prereqs and class info for that so I can look it over) but the Arcane Hierophant needs to be a Druid for trackless step...which I could justify making Druid/Duskblade, but then I wouldn't be Cleric with those domains...and I'd still need a way to continue both forms of casting and my Duskblade abilities.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regarding picking up trackless step you could always make the guy a Bamboo Spirit Folk from Oriental Adventures. It won't count as a class feature but you are the DM, so this might be an area where you blur the lines...

Runestar
2011-06-18, 09:41 PM
Why not just be a cleric with the smiting spell feat (PHB2). You can now channel harm spells through your sword. :smallamused:

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-19, 03:57 AM
Isnt there a common duskblade feat that grants domain spells?

Otherwise I second the gestalt option.

3drinks
2011-06-19, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I wanted to avoid the Gestalt method and try and legitimately build him honestly, but I can understand it's too hard to mix efficiently. I may just bite the bullet on this and do it then.

Let's back up a second.

What exactly is your final goal? "Duskblade" and "Cleric" are mere tools to an end. What is the end goal you have in mind? What should your boss be capable of? And try not to make reference to any particular class...

Well, he's got the fighting prowess of a seasoned veteran, with some offensive spells to back him up...and he's got divine magics flowing through him as a former priest of Kord.

sonofzeal
2011-06-19, 08:45 AM
Well, he's got the fighting prowess of a seasoned veteran, with some offensive spells to back him up...and he's got divine magics flowing through him as a former priest of Kord.
A solution presents itself then - be a full Duskblade, but take the Arcane Disciple feat on one or two of Kord's domains. Or just have him invoke Kord's name - "The Brawler crush you!" "KOOOOORD!"

Shadowknight12
2011-06-19, 08:49 AM

You don't have to be a cleric to be a priest. Clerics are just very specific types of priest. Remember that most priests (at least in Eberron) are experts or adepts, not clerics. Refluffing is your friend!

hisnamehere
2011-06-19, 09:32 AM
How about making him a UA Paladin variant. He'll gave decent BAB and divine magic. If you aren't satisfied with the low-level spells, give him a holy sword (or alignment-equivalent) with a bunch of awesome spells/abilities tied to it. Make the sword (or weapon type of choice) intelligent, too, and very difficult to use unless you're an evil Kord-worshipper.

3drinks
2011-06-19, 12:55 PM
A solution presents itself then - be a full Duskblade, but take the Arcane Disciple feat on one or two of Kord's domains. Or just have him invoke Kord's name - "The Brawler crush you!" "KOOOOORD!"

Well, I say former priest of Kord(he turned away from the faith a long time ago, he's kinda full of himself now,). I'm using the no patron deity trick for him, as I don't recall anything having Strength and Magic domains.

I'll take a look at Arcane Disciple. What book is it in? Complete Arcane or Divine?