PDA

View Full Version : Traveling the Planes in Style

Zonugal
2011-06-18, 09:44 PM
So in an attempt to design & build a new campaign setting (themed off of classic space operas) I have run into a little speed bump. I was hoping to build a space-ship or at least a vessel that could fly while still maintaining a somewhat cheap price. My base idea was simply applying magical effects to a stage-coach or carriage but I have run into the difficulty of finding spells/powers/ect. that would work efficiently.

Do you have any ideas GitP?

hivedragon
2011-06-18, 09:46 PM
http://www.spelljammer.org/
I haven't actually tried this setting yet.
It's just a link I happen to have on my desktop.
PM me how it turns out.

myancey
2011-06-18, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure if you were wanting anything as big as a castle...but Stronghold Builder's Guidebook shows how to build plane shifting, floating, teleporting, and moving buildings. You could make it as small as a cottage, or single tower.

The tower idea sounds pretty cool--enter from the base via wooden door, travel up stairs that circle around to a single floor at the top. Or maybe have multiple floors, 10' by 10' or something.

That'd be a good home for players and fun to run around in. :smallbiggrin:

The-Mage-King
2011-06-18, 09:49 PM
Gate Zeppelin. Planar Handbook p73.

It's all the awesome a zeppelin, with the advantage of a Gate between planes.

And it's only 160k gp! A real steal!

myancey
2011-06-18, 09:50 PM

Nice. That sounds pretty wicked as well.

Zonugal
2011-06-18, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure if you were wanting anything as big as a castle...but Stronghold Builder's Guidebook shows how to build plane shifting, floating, teleporting, and moving buildings. You could make it as small as a cottage, or single tower.

The tower idea sounds pretty cool--enter from the base via wooden door, travel up stairs that circle around to a single floor at the top. Or maybe have multiple floors, 10' by 10' or something.

That'd be a good home for players and fun to run around in. :smallbiggrin:

My only concern with using the Stronghold Builder's Guide is how insane the prices begin to get with their over-pricing of walls and such.

Right now what I have is perhaps a carriage with the spell Awaken Object built into it as a command-item magic item ($30,025) and than the fly spell built on top of that ($7,882) for a total of $37,907 gp for a flying vessel that can hold upwards of six people inside it.

BlueInc
2011-06-18, 10:18 PM
My recommendation? Find a creature like a pegasus with fly speed. It costs 2000g for an egg and 1000g to have it raised, so maybe 3k for a spaceship with similar stats?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pegasus.htm

There is an awesome major artifact I saw in the Pathfinder APG called the Cloud Castle of the Storm King. It's not what you're looking for at all, but it would be great for a capital ship later in the campaign:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/magicItems/majorArtifacts.html

Zonugal
2011-06-18, 10:57 PM

And it's only 160k gp! A real steal!

So I gave the Planar Handbook a look and while the Gate Zeppelin is pretty pricy I am really liking both the Astral Skiff (10,000 gp) and the Living Astral Ship (which reminds me of Farscape, so even better!) Now I just need to figure out a form of pricing for the Living Astral Ship...

The-Mage-King
2011-06-18, 11:02 PM
So I gave the Planar Handbook a look and while the Gate Zeppelin is pretty pricy I am really liking both the Astral Skiff (10,000 gp) and the Living Astral Ship (which reminds me of Farscape, so even better!) Now I just need to figure out a form of pricing for the Living Astral Ship...

Handwave it. Say that they managed to find a small one, and that as they adventure, it'll grow with them. They could even try to add more HD (at a cost of... Oh, 2500 gp/HD until it hits 12 HD, and then 5k apiece until 16. Then 10k.

Bam! Instant ride, with a way to make it bigger if they really want to spend that gold on it.

shadow_archmagi
2011-06-18, 11:05 PM
Just enchant a telephone box

Zonugal
2011-06-18, 11:06 PM
Handwave it. Say that they managed to find a small one, and that as they adventure, it'll grow with them. They could even try to add more HD (at a cost of... Oh, 2500 gp/HD until it hits 12 HD, and then 5k apiece until 16. Then 10k.

Bam! Instant ride, with a way to make it bigger if they really want to spend that gold on it.

I'd say that would be great for a standard campaign with a set party but in my hopes of developing a campaign setting I feel I should hammer down some type of consistent price...

I feel like starting it off at 80,000 gp as that is the price of the Gnome Submersible in Arms and Equipment with maybe going with your system of 2,500 gp for each hd on top of that base price.

The-Mage-King
2011-06-18, 11:09 PM
I'd say that would be great for a standard campaign with a set party but in my hopes of developing a campaign setting I feel I should hammer down some type of consistent price...

I feel like starting it off at 80,000 gp as that is the price of the Gnome Submersible in Arms and Equipment with maybe going with your system of 2,500 gp for each hd on top of that base price.

Ah. I missed the "Campaign setting" part.

I had assumed this was for a specific campaign.

My apologies.

I'd say that the price you suggest would be about right, actually. If planar travel is required, then make it cheaper and easier to use.

Just enchant a telephone box

It's a Police box, actually.

Also, I now want to play an Elan Psion who abuses time travel powers liberally.

Alleran
2011-06-18, 11:15 PM
There is an awesome major artifact I saw in the Pathfinder APG called the Cloud Castle of the Storm King. It's not what you're looking for at all, but it would be great for a capital ship later in the campaign:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/magicItems/majorArtifacts.html
There's no rules for how you're going to get it to travel between planes.

(Though I'd rule that you can either open planar breaches to pass through from plane to plane, or travel through a sufficiently-large gate.)

Zonugal
2011-06-18, 11:17 PM
Ah. I missed the "Campaign setting" part.

I had assumed this was for a specific campaign.

My apologies.

I'd say that the price you suggest would be about right, actually. If planar travel is required, then make it cheaper and easier to use.

Cheaper then 80,000 gp? Hmm... Maybe start off at an even 50,000 gp with 2,500 gp with each HD placed on top of it.

Now, how many people/cargo do you think a standard Living Astral Ship could carry? Standard spacial amount for a colossal creature is 30 ft and the Astral Zeppelin says it can carry 10 tons, so that seems a fair number to port over.

The-Mage-King
2011-06-18, 11:41 PM
Cheaper then 80,000 gp? Hmm... Maybe start off at an even 50,000 gp with 2,500 gp with each HD placed on top of it.

Now, how many people/cargo do you think a standard Living Astral Ship could carry? Standard spacial amount for a colossal creature is 30 ft and the Astral Zeppelin says it can carry 10 tons, so that seems a fair number to port over.

10 tons of cargo, using the rules of A&EG, converts to 10 2-passenger cabins. Not bad. I'd say it can carry around 30 people, with that done. The pilot obviously can rest in the control room.

Zonugal
2011-06-19, 07:15 PM
Thanks The-Mage-King! I should have a basic model stated out by tomorrow to display.

Jeebers
2011-07-02, 09:08 PM
Slight problem with your concept. Planar travel results in incredibly deadly environments and beasties that low level characters just do not have the firepower to handle. This is why all the planar magic and planar travel doohickeys are so incredibly expensive; to keep out the riff raff.

Zonugal
2011-07-02, 09:13 PM
Right now I'm developing new planes so the dangers in opposition will probably be scaled down.

I'm sort of shooting for a mix between Star Trek and Chronicles of Riddick.

EDIT: So far I've been working on weapons within the setting. This is what I have (arcane spells from mainly Spell Compendium with re-flavoring).

Technology

Weaponry
Plasma Pistol ($225 gp)
A pistol-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the pistol begins to pulsate with energy, displaying a faint green light equivalent to a small torch. When the trigger is pressed the pistol releases a blast of plasma energy towards its newest victim.
Plasma Pistol: (1d3 acid; x2; 25 ft.; plasma pistol: saving throw non- spell resistance none)

Plasma Rifle ($450 gp)
A rifle-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the rifle begins to pulsate with energy, displaying a faint green light equivalent to a small torch. When the trigger is pressed the rifle releases a blast of plasma energy towards its newest victim.
Plasma Pistol: (1d8 acid; x2; 25 ft.; plasma pistol: saving throw none-spell resistance none)

Flame Burster ($450 gp)
A pump-action object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the burster begins to pulsate with energy, displaying a faint orange light equivalent to a small torch. When the trigger is pressed the burster releases a fiery cone fifteen feet towards anything in front of it, be it objects or people.
Flame Burster: (1d4 fire; x2; 15 ft. cone-shaped burst; flame burster: saving throw reflex for half-spell resistance yes)

Cyro-Launcher ($450 gp)
A rifle-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the rifle begins to pulsate with energy, displaying a faint blue light equivalent to a small torch. When the trigger is pressed the rifle releases a shard of irce towards its newest victim. Should the shard miss the initial target it explodes injuring anyone in a five foot radius (dealing 1 point of cold damage).
Cyro-Launcher: (1d4 cold; x2; 25 ft.; cryo-launcher: saving throw reflex for half-spell resistance yes)

Mini-Rail Cannon ($450 gp)
A cannon-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the cannon begins to pulsate with energy, releasing a faint hum equivalent to a small bell. When the trigger is pressed the cannon releases a blast of concentrated force towards its newest victim, instantly hitting them (only total concealment & total cover save the target). Because the Mini-Rail Cannon is so focused upon destroying a creature’s biology it does nothing against inanimate objects.
Mini-Rail Cannon: (1d4+1 force; 110 ft.; mini-rail cannon: saving throw none-spell resistance yes)

Stationary Weaponry
Rail Cannon ($1,500 gp)
A large, stationary cannon-like machine, with a five-foot radius, constructed out of a protective iron casing and possessing an iron chair for the user the Rail Cannon is a hefty instrument of destruction. Upon being activated through the on-board safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the cannon begins to pulsate with energy, releasing a faint hum equivalent to a small bell. When the trigger is pressed the cannon releases blasts of concentrated force towards its newest victim, instantly hitting them (only total concealment & total cover save the target). In addition after hitting its target the Rail Cannon user can command the blasts to ricochet towards three additional targets within 30 ft. immediately hitting them like-wise (only one blast can be ricocheted towards one additional target, thus dealing 1d4+1 force damage). Because the Mini-Rail Cannon is so focused upon destroying a creature’s biology it does nothing against inanimate objects.
Rail Cannon: (3d4+3 force; 640 ft.; rail cannon: Saving throw none- spell resistance yes)

Turbine Cannon ($4,000 gp)
A large, stationary cannon-like machine, with a five-foot radius, constructed out of a protective iron casing and possessing an iron chair for the user the Turbine Cannon is a hefty instrument of destruction. Upon being activated through the on-board safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the cannon begins to pulsate with energy, releasing a large crackle equivalent to a thunder storm. When the trigger is pressed the cannon releases a concentrated blast of wind energy up hitting everything within a 120ft line (spell resistance does apply). Those hit suffer 10d6 points of damage (reflex save for half) with larger creatures taking half damage. Those who should fail their reflex saves are additionally hurled backwards (treat this as a bull rush attack made with a +12 on the Strength check. The blast always moves backwards with its opponent to push that target back the full distance allowed, and (unlike a normal bull rush) you can exceed your normal movement limit with a sufficiently high check result. Airborn creatures are treated as if they were one size category smaller for the purposes of resisting the bull rush. If the damage caused to an imposing barrier by the blast shatters or breaks through it, the turbine blast can continue beyond the barrier if the spell’s radius permits; otherwise it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.
Turbine Cannon: (10d10; 120 ft. line; turbine cannon: Saving throw reflex for half- spell resistance yes)

Bombardments
Central Nervous Chemical Toxin ($200 gp)
Once detonated through destruction (typically from falling a great distance) this iron-cad device (hardness 1; hit points 10) unleashes a bank of poisonous nerve gas filling a radius of 20 ft. wide up to 20ft. high. For five rounds those within the heavy mist must make a fortitude save or contract the disease none as the Shakes (DMG 292) which strikes immediately without incubation period. A creature inflicted with such a disease takes 1d8 points of Dexterity damage immediately, and each day that the disease persists, it must make a DC 13 Fortitude save or take another 1d8 points of Dexterity damage. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target). The mist obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. The mist moves away from its initial destination at a rate of 10ft. per round, rolling along the surface of the ground or water. Because the vapors are heavier than air, they sink to the lowest level of the surface over which they move, pouring down sinkhole openings, and even down through minute cracks. The mist can not penetrate liquids, nor can be it cast underwater. A moderate wind (11+ mph) disperses the mist in 4 rounds; a strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the mist in 1 round.

Sonic Dismantler ($200 gp)
Once detonated through destruction (typically from falling a great distance) this iron-cad device (hardness 1; hit points 10) unleashes a violent volume of noise within a 20ft. radius spread that sets off three effects. First, all creatures in the area must make Will saves to avoid being stunned for 1 round. Second, the creatures must make Fortitude saves or be deafened for 1 minute. Third, they must make Reflex saves or fall prone. Creatures that cannot hear are not stunned, but might still fall prone.

Nature’s Bane ($200 gp)
Once detonated through destruction (typically from falling a great distance) this iron-cad device (hardness 1; hit points 10) unleashes a terrifying sight of death & decay. Within a 10ft.-line every fey, vermin, plants and plant creatures, and animals caught in the area take 3d10 points of negative energy (Reflex save for half and spell resistance counts).

Jeebers
2011-07-02, 10:37 PM
You DO know that you can use D20 Modern and D20 Future to do all of this already?

Zonugal
2011-07-02, 11:34 PM
You DO know that you can use D20 Modern and D20 Future to do all of this already?

Yes, in fact I have both game systems but I am most familiar with D&D 3.5 and wanted to do a campaign setting to it I could throw myself in (space opera being the theme).

Flame of Anor
2011-07-03, 01:32 AM
Remind me why I would pay 225 gp for a plasma pistol that does 1d3 at 25 ft when I could pay 35 gp for a light crossbow that does 1d8 at 80 ft?

The-Mage-King
2011-07-03, 01:33 AM
Remind me why I would pay 225 gp for a plasma pistol that does 1d3 at 25 ft when I could pay 35 gp for a light crossbow that does 1d8 at 80 ft?

It deals energy damage. Comprende? Better for smashing walls, and better for dealing with stuff with DR.

Though I, too, think those personal items could do with a bit of a boost in the damage department.

Zonugal
2011-07-03, 01:44 AM
Sadly that is the problem with these magic items. The prices you see are pretty much the lowest I could get with a reasonable Artificer building them. I guess the alternatives might be that they hit touch ac, they're better against objects and they are energy so they go past damage reduction, but you are right about prices. A standard hand crossbow beats it by $125 gp but for the flavor of my campaign I decided to stay with a space opera feel.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-03, 01:46 AM
Sadly that is the problem with these magic items. The prices you see are pretty much the lowest I could get with a reasonable Artificer building them. I guess the alternatives might be that they hit touch ac, they're better against objects and they are energy so they go past damage reduction, but you are right about prices. A standard hand crossbow beats it by $125 gp but for the flavor of my campaign I decided to stay with a space opera feel.

... You do know that you possess an untapped deposit of the rare material called "Handwavium", right? You can change their prices around.

Zonugal
2011-07-03, 01:55 AM
... You do know that you possess an untapped deposit of the rare material called "Handwavium", right? You can change their prices around.

It's my attempt to stay within the rules as much as possible... I guess I could raise the price, I may keep it as an option.

The benefit to such a low dice is it still offers danger (be it a little bit) to commoners but allows lower level characters to have John Woo gun fights. Mind you this is important as my setting, for player characters only operates from level 3 to 7.

GoblinArchmage
2011-07-03, 01:56 AM
This is just me being nitpicky, but wouldn't fire damage be more appropriate for a plasma gun than acid damage?

Zonugal
2011-07-03, 02:03 AM
This is just me being nitpicky, but wouldn't fire damage be more appropriate for a plasma gun than acid damage?

I always connected acid with plasma for some odd reason. It seems more chemical based and well, it is green... Also I am using the 0-level spell Acid Splash, there isn't a fire-based spell of the same sort.

Redshirt Army
2011-07-03, 12:10 PM
Requisite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5867363#post5867363) Links. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3203504&postcount=97)

Zonugal
2011-07-03, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the links. I was sort of inspired by the spellshot pistol (but still wanted to stay away from pure-home brewing) and the Arsenal of Eberron has a lot of good stuff.

Here is what I have lately cooked up. Hopefully it serves as a better 'standard' pistol, so give it a look if your interested & if you have any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

The Caster Gun & Accessories
http://rpggamer.org/uploaded_images/CasterAndShells.jpg

Caster Gun ($220)
A pistol-like object wrapped in a protective iron casing. Upon being activated through the safety switch (requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) the pistol’s side section opens up awaiting ammunition placement (do so takes a full-round action). When the trigger is pressed the pistol releases its ammunition bolt screaming towards its newest victim.
Caster Gun: (-- dependent on ammunition; 110 ft.; caster gun: saving throw non- spell resistance none)

Caster Gun Ammo Pouches
Stone Pouch ($440): Any stones, which can be no larger than sling bullets, placed into this small belt pouch are immediately transmuted (through a variety of levels & switches, requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) so that they strike with great force when thrown or slung. If hurled, they have a range increment of 20 feet. If slung, treat them as sling bullets (range increment 50 feet). The spell gives them a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. The user of the stones makes a normal ranged attack. Each stone that hits deals 1d6+1 points of damage (including the spell’s enhancement bonus), or 2d6+2 points against undead. Will-based saving throw (harmless, objects), spell resistance applies (harmless, objects)
Gems Pouch ($3,500): Any gems (at least costing $1 gp), which can be no larger than sling bullets, placed into this small belt pouch are immediately transmuted (through a variety of levels & switches, requiring at least one rank in Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to correctly perform) so that they strike with great force when thrown. If hurled, they have a range increment of 60 feet. Each gem explodes in a five-foot radius dealing 2d8 points of force damage. Reflex-based saving throw (save for half), spell resistance applies.

Caster Gun Ammunition
Stone: 1d6+1 (or 2d6+2 against undead); x2; 110ft.; stone)
Gem (1 gp): 2d8 force; x2; 110ft.; 5-foot radius; gem)

Specialized Ammunition
Grease Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting a ten foot squared-area magical slime immediately covers the floor for one round. Any creature in the area must make a successful Reflex save or fall. A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details). A Grease Shell may also be targeted towards a specific individual or object. Material objects not in use are always affected by this ammunition, while an object wielded or employed by a creature receives a Reflex saving throw to avoid the effect. If the initial saving throw fails, the creature immediately drops the item. A creature wearing greased armor or clothing gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Escape Artist checks and on grapple checks made to resist or escape a grapple or to escape a pin. Reflex-based saving throw, no spell resistance.
Spark Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting a creature or object a surge of electricity explodes dealing 1d8 points of electrical damage. No saving throw, no spell resistance.
Slumber Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting a ten foot squared-area magical dust immediately explodes into the air causing a magical slumber to come upon any creature with four or less hit die for one minute. Sleeping creatures are considered helpless. Slapping or wounding awakens an affected creature, but normal noise does not. Awakening a creature is a standard action (an application of the aid another action). Saving throw will negates, spell resistance applies.
Scatter Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting a collection of little, unsecured items they fly away in all directions simultaneously hitting everything within a ten foot radius. Such a spray causes damage dependent on the material. For fairly hard or sharp (such as stones, sling bullets, coins, glass, ect.) creatures in the burst take 1d8 damage (a successful reflex save negates this damage). Eggs, fruit, and other soft objects can be used, but the damage then dealt is nonlethal damage. Reflex-based saving throw, no spell resistance.
Vapor Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting any object or creature the surround radius around them, up to 20ft., immedaitly fills up with a misty vapor for one minute. It is stationary once created. The vapor obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature 5 feet away has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker cannot use sight to locate the target). No saving throw, no spell resistance.
Entangle Shell ($20 gp): Upon hitting any object or creature the surrounding plant life in an area, up to a 40ft. radius spread, comes alive for one minute. Grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees wrap, twist, and entwine about creatures in the area or those that enter the area, holding them fast and causing them to become entangled. The creature can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check. A creature that succeeds on a Reflex save is not entangled but can still move at only half speed through the area. Each round on your turn, the plants once again attempt to entangle all creatures that have avoided or escaped entanglement. Partial reflex saving throw, no spell resistance.
Fog Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting any object or creature the surrounding radius around them, up to 20ft., immediately fills up with a bank of fog for up to 30 minutes. The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target). No saving throw, no spell resistance.
Glitter Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting a ten foot squared-area a cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for 3 rounds. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades. Any creature covered by the dust takes a -40 penalty on Hide checks. Will-based saving throw (for the blinding), no spell resistance.
Swarm Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting any objet or creature a swarm of bats, rats, or spiders (your choice) are immediately summoned for two rounds, which attacks all other creatures within its area. (You may summon the swarm so that it shares the area of other creatures.) If no living creatures are within its area, the swarm attacks or pursues the nearest creature as best it can. The shooter has no control over its target or direction of travel. No saving throw, no spell resistance.
Monster Aid I Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting any five foot square a creature is immediately summoned to its place for three rounds. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. If summoning more than one creature, they can not be more than 30ft apart. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions. A summoned creature cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them. The creatures available are: Celestial Giant Bombardier Beetle, Celestial Eagle, Lemure (devil), Fiendish wolf, Large Fiendish Monstrous Centipede, Medium Fiendish Monstrous Scorpion, 1d3 Celestial Dogs, 1d3 Celestial Giant Fire Beetles, 1d3 Celestial Badgers, 1d3 Fiendish Dire Rats or 1d3 Medium Fiendish Monstrous Centipedes.
Nature’s Aid I Shell ($80 gp): Upon hitting any five foot square an animal is immediately summoned to its place for three rounds. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. If summoning more than one animal, they can not be more than 30ft apart. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the animal, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions. An animal cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Animals cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them. The animals available are: Black Bear, Crocodile, Dire Badger, Small Elemental (Any), Hippogriff, 1d3 Eagles, 1d3 Monkeys or 1d3 Wolves.