PDA

View Full Version : Constitution...

zyborg
2011-06-18, 10:28 PM
I just noticed that there seems to be only one core skill based on constitution. I was wondering if there were any non-core CON-based skills. Also, are there any classes based off that ability score?

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-18, 10:31 PM
The Dwarven prestige class Deepwarden (Races of Stone) gives Con to AC, as does the Fist of the Forest (Complete Champion).

The Dragonfire Adept base class is all about Constitution and Charisma (Dragon Magic), and the Dragon Shaman from the PHB II needs Constitution as well. Basically, any class that uses poison or a breath weapon uses Constitution.

To answer your other question, no. Constitution checks are things like running for extended periods of time, drowning, going for days without eating or drinking, the Constitution score is how you survive, it's not related to any every day techniques. (I honestly don't understand why Constitution is used for the Concentration skill, but whatever)

Pyro_Azer
2011-06-18, 10:32 PM
Possibly it is used to show how much pain you can take without becoming distracted (such as a wizard being attacked mid-spell)?

myancey
2011-06-18, 10:42 PM
Possibly it is used to show how much pain you can take without becoming distracted (such as a wizard being attacked mid-spell)?

Yeah, that was my thinking too.

Ernir
2011-06-18, 10:51 PM
are there any classes based off that ability score?

There is a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) devoted to this pursuit.

As you can see, the list for Constitution is rather short...

Big Fau
2011-06-18, 10:52 PM
Incarnum is Con-focused.

ericgrau
2011-06-18, 11:10 PM
Also, are there any classes based off that ability score?
All of them in some sense. It's everybody's 2nd stat.

erikun
2011-06-18, 11:37 PM
Dragonfire Adept, Totemist, Dwarven Sorcerer 9+, and Warblade/Kensai are probably the closest "Constitution-focused" classes. There are probably several others, like Wildshape Ranger/MoMF, which pass for not needing any stat but still getting benefit from high Constitution.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-19, 01:46 AM
Binders have Constitution as a primary stat, alongside Charisma. I've been told that Binders orientated towards melee vestiges prioritize Con, while those orientated to save effects prioritize Cha.

Omeganaut
2011-06-20, 09:50 AM
Constitution is good for hp and fortitude saves. Also, its the attribute for how long a Barbarian's rage lasts. IF there were a core class based from constitution, it would be Barbarian.

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-20, 10:38 AM
Skill-wise, it's true that Constitution only gets one. However, Constitution-based ability checks are way more common then any other ability score (only Strength comes close, unless your DM lets you make an Int check to get a hint or to remember stuff, but that's not in the rules).

ericgrau
2011-06-20, 02:17 PM
Well you can make int checks to find common knowledge and to ballpark appraise non-rare items.

For melee strength checks could be a lot more common than constitution checks if they use them right, otherwise if you don't make voluntary checks then constitution is the most common whether-you-want-to-or-not check. Tip: next time you play melee carry a crowbar and look up breaking and entering. It's amazing how many things you can smash. If you play that nutso class that gives strength every level, don't just trip with it, start kool-aid manning through entire dungeons.

zyborg
2011-06-20, 02:45 PM
Well you can make int checks to find common knowledge and to ballpark appraise non-rare items.

For melee strength checks could be a lot more common than constitution checks if they use them right, otherwise if you don't make voluntary checks then constitution is the most common whether-you-want-to-or-not check. Tip: next time you play melee carry a crowbar and look up breaking and entering. It's amazing how many things you can smash. If you play that nutso class that gives strength every level, don't just trip with it, start kool-aid manning through entire dungeons.

That is something I want to do. I wanna break things. This is completely off-topic, but it is something I'm interested in, so...

Dungeoncrasher and Swordsage + Stone Dragon?

Eldariel
2011-06-20, 02:52 PM
Perviewing this thread will probably be of use (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732); it doesn't list everything derived off a stat but it does list the effects that can move something to any given ability score.

ericgrau
2011-06-20, 03:02 PM
That is something I want to do. I wanna break things. This is completely off-topic, but it is something I'm interested in, so...

Dungeoncrasher and Swordsage + Stone Dragon?
Sounds like a good start; others may be more helpful than me if you start a thread. You might want to consider any race/template that give more than +2 strength per level. A half-dragon orc perhaps. Or for a little cheese on top, half-minotaur mineral warrior. And for your perusal:
Dungeons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm) (and how hard it is to break things in them)
Breaking and Entering (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#breakingAndEntering)