PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide on a class.

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 10:44 PM
Help me playground, as I have no idea what to play.

I'm playing in the world's largest dungeon. Apparently wizard is a no go, and we have a cleric (and I've played three in a row). Druids are also kinda screwed in this environ.

I don't like playing Fighters or Barbarians, I love playing characters with special abilities/spells. I'm not sure if I'd like a rogue (although we need one), and I have no idea what to play.
Pretty much all books available, if I don't have the hard copy, I have a soft copy.
Any recommendations? (party so far-paladin of freedom, sorcerer, cleric (melee focused/heals))

Hirax
2011-06-18, 10:46 PM
Rogue, then veer toward assassin? Perhaps rogue3/swordsage2/assassinX?

myancey
2011-06-18, 10:46 PM
If you're wanting a caster--try a warlock. They're great for dungeons--they're supply of power is pretty large.

tribble
2011-06-18, 10:47 PM
Play the world's most fabulous bard.

Pyro_Azer
2011-06-18, 10:49 PM
How about a Factotum. It has every skill, decent skill points, arcane spells, special abilities, can take extra actions and is not bad in melee combat.

Zonugal
Dragonfire Adept?

Hiro Protagonest
Factotum. They get 6+int skills with all skills as class skills, can cast spells, and have healing abilities. Their primary stat is int, so if you want to be a skillmonkey, you don't have to worry about that.

sonofzeal
My favorite WLD build: Monk1/DruidX with Vow of Poverty. Juuuust a little unfair in that context though, as good gear is almost impossible to come by.

Warlock or DFA are also good there. You might also consider Incarnate or Totemist, if you have MoI.

Chess435
2011-06-18, 10:52 PM
Usually what I do when I'm trying to decide is that I pick something I've never played before and go with that. In a situation like this, I'd say play a Sorcerer with Reserve feats. (Complete Arcane or Mage, can't remember which) That'll help really stretch your resources out through many encounters.

Oops, missed that you already had a Sorc.

Curmudgeon
2011-06-18, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure if I'd like a rogue (although we need one), and I have no idea what to play.
Any recommendations? (party so far-paladin of freedom, sorcerer, cleric (melee focused/heals))
Yes, you really need a Rogue. But playing one effectively takes a lot of work, which I don't expect you'll want to do unless you enjoy the class. Factotum is a different type of work entirely, because there's a lot of wretched omission in the class write-up, and many parts of it will vary in capabilities depending on how the DM decides to fix those gaps.

Play a Bard for their special music-related abilities, or a Warlock if you just want to be able to blast things without running out of steam.

Z3ro
2011-06-18, 11:04 PM
Why not an incarnate? Very versatile, makes a great skill monkey if that's what you're looking for.

Elvencloud
2011-06-18, 11:28 PM
Play the world's most fabulous bard.

I almost did this... I wanted it, it seemed fun but...
Factotum is fantastic, in a way. I think I should try this.

gorfnab
2011-06-18, 11:46 PM
Apparently wizard is a no go
There is a way to play a wizard in WLD. It requires some odd sources and 2 flaws at 1st level if you want VoP.

Easy Bake No "Worries" Wizard

Elf, preferably Gray

Elf Wizard Racial Sub - Races of the Wild
Eidetic Spellcaster ACF - Dragon Magazine #357
Spontaneous Divination ACF - Complete Champion - Optional but great at higher levels
Collegiate Wizard feat - Complete Arcane

1st Level - 7+ Int mod 1st level spells known, all cantrips, 1 extra spell per day of highest level
No Familiar, No Scribe Scroll, No Spellbook

Optional and slightly cheesy: Domain Wizard from UA works with generalist wizards. This would give you some free spells known and extra spells per day.

If flaws are available
Sacred Vow + Vow of Poverty - Book of Exalted Deeds - depending on the campaign, this may work

Note: Every level after 1st that advances wizard spellcasting gets you 5 spells known for free instead of the usual 2
Edit: If you're playing in Eberron, the feat Aerenal Arcanist (Player's Guide to Eberron) will net you an additional spell known per level netting you 8+Int spells at 1st level and 6 additional spells known every level after that.

I'm not sure if I'd like a rogue (although we need one), and I have no idea what to play.
Pretty much all books available, if I don't have the hard copy, I have a soft copy.
As stated in previous posts Factotum is probably your best bet, however Beguiler or a Swift Hunter (Ranger/Scout) could possibly work as well.

Stallion
2011-06-19, 12:00 AM
Play a human 5 wildshape ranger/10 MoMF/4swordsage/1 shiba protector, totally wisdom based. Stealth if you need it, bruisering if you need it, oozes if you need it.... etc. All while adding your wisdom to attacks and damage to make up for your less than full AB and to AC to...... well, dodge stuff more easily. Vow of Poverty is pretty nice for this, too, as most of your usefulness comes from wildshaping (obviously). One interesting thing you could do with it is only go 2 swordsage and throw in 2 levels of Dungeoncrasher fighter. For some reason a bullrushing ooze that then engulfs the victim is rather.... enjoyable in my mind.

MeeposFire
2011-06-19, 12:12 AM
Binders are a lot of fun.

Elvencloud
2011-06-19, 12:35 AM
Binders are a lot of fun.

I thought about this too. I think that a binder will be my next class, I think Factotum is my class for this really long adventure.

MeeposFire
2011-06-19, 12:39 AM
I thought about this too. I think that a binder will be my next class, I think Factotum is my class for this really long adventure.

Good call I love both (I really dig versatile classes).

Gavinfoxx
2011-06-19, 02:16 AM
Actually, Druids are TOTALLY AWESOME in WLD, since they are quite gear independent.

Also, they can burrow through stone and leave a hole that medium creatures can squeeze through behind them.

Think about that for a moment.