PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Perelandron PRC - For Sublime Rangers

OverdrivePrime
2011-06-18, 11:32 PM
Hi all, I wrote this PRC intending to apply it to a particular Spirit Shaman / Sublime Ranger NPC in my game, but I want my players to have the option to proceed down this path as well.
I realize that it seems fairly powerful at the outset, but I don't feel like it's any worse than the Jade Phoenix Mage, which I've blatantly ripped off here.
Much of the Perelandron's powers are focused on healing and vitality. Even the 10th level Euphoric Rejuvenation sends a wash of healing energy (harmful to undead, I suppose) over the area, rather than destructive fire.

Anyway, could you please help me balance this? My goal for the PRC is sublime/nature gish. In my mind, the builds most in keeping with the idea of the class would be a Spirit Shaman 4 / Sublime Ranger 6 / Perelandron 10, or a Druid 8 / Sublime Ranger 2 / Perelandron 10. I'm trying to figure out ways for the class abilities to be badly exploited and I'm not coming up with anything shocking. (At least not in comparison to the Jade Phoenix Mage)

Here's a link a Google Docs version of the class. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TBDFnuYLfUyjG1r3sptxLp0jOPC0Wbd3akGk2kOhtKc/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=COm50usI)

And here it is again:

Perelandron Prestige Class

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/mwellenstein/Sci_Fan/BadassLinkfromLegendofZelda.jpg

Background Fluff

Many ages ago, extraplanar forces sought dominion over the material plane and waged terrible battles there. Angels fought Slaadi, Modrons fought demons, and the cataclysmic effects of the constant battles threatened mass extinctions of mortal creatures across the world. The fey, then at the prime of their power, rose up to beat back these extra planar armies and defend their world.

As the mighty faerie hosts prepared to engage the forces of heaven and hell, and the realms beyond, a council of nymphs realized that they would be leaving some of the most pristine places in the world vulnerable to attack while their attention was diverted. It was decided to create a corps of elite warriors, dedicated to the defense and preservation of Nature’s most sacred places. This corps was trained by the highest avatars of nature, and blessed with the essence of the elite warriors of the faerie realm.

The corps was named after a mythical hero from faerie mythology, Perelandron, a faerie naturally born from two mortal parents. These Perelandri were distributed throughout the world and charged with building their own forces from promising mortals in order to defend their chosen territories.

After the Great Planar War, the forces of fey were terribly depleted. Only one in ten of the whole kingdom of Faerie who had gone to war returned. But through their sacrifice, the dwellers of the higher planes were forced back to their own realms. With the fey population forced into survival-mode, the Perelandron Corps was even more necessary to protect the wild spaces of the world. They continue their duty to this day, awaiting their faerie patrons return to might.

Becoming a Perelandron Fluff

Most Perelandri feel called to nature at an early age and as children are found often wandering into pristine natural areas. These children are naturally attractive to animals and fey, who tend to play with and protect the innocent child until his parents find him.

With repeated encounters, this child is subtly tested and prodded toward a path that would lead him to become a Perelandron. When these children grow to adulthood and have proved themselves as heroes – both of the mortal realm and of Faerie – they are approached by an avatar of nature with the offer of joining the Perelandron Corps.

Entry Requirements

Alignment: Any nonevil and nonlawful
Race: any mortal native to the material plane
Skills: Concentration 6 ranks, Knowledge(Nature) 13 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 5 ranks, Knowledge (the Planes) 5 ranks, Survival 13 Ranks
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Martial Maneuvers: Must know at least two martial maneuvers and a martial stance
Spells: Ability to cast 2nd level divine spells from the druid or ranger spell list
Speak Language: Sylvan
Special: Wild Empathy Class Feature, Track

Perelandron Class Features

Hit Die: d8

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/mwellenstein/Diagrams/PerelandronTable.gif

Class Skills (4 + int modifier / level): Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Tumble

Spellcasting: At each level except 1st, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in divine spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a Perelandron, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.
Maneuvers: Upon entering the prestige class, a Perelandron selects two of the following four disciplines to devote himself to: Falling Star (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527602/Falling_Star_style:_the_Tenth_Path_of_the_Sublime_ Way), Iron Heart, Shadow Hand, Tiger Claw. At each odd-numbered level, you gain a new maneuver from one of your two chosen disciplines. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it. You add your full Perelandron levels to your initiator levels to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At 3rd level, 6th level and 9th level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.
Stances Known: At 5th level and 10th level, you learn a new martial stance from either of your two Perelandron disciplines. You must meet a stance’s prerequisite to learn it.

Nature’s Wrath (Su): You can spontaneously channel stored spell energy (prepared spells or spell slots) into your melee attacks. As a swift action, you can lose any prepared divine spell or spell slot to gain a +4 bonus on a single attack or martial strike, as well as an extra 1d10 points of damage per spell level expended. Both bonuses can be applied only on an attack made before the beginning of your next turn. For example, if you lose a 3rd-level spell slot or prepared spell, you gain a +4 bonus on an attack roll you make before your next turn, and you deal an extra 3d10 damage if your attack is successful.
Breath of Tinidril (Ex): When you become a Perelandron, you participate in a mystic rite in which you inhale the breath of Tinidril. This right takes ten minutes, but requires nothing other than the presence a suitable candidate and either one of Nature’s Consorts or an avatar of nature (such as an epic-level nymph). On completion of the right, you gain awareness of a deeper, quasi-divine connection with the natural order of things. You gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (Nature) and Survival checks, a +2 bonus against fear effects, and your Perelandron levels stack with previous class levels for purposes of determining strength of the Perelandron’s Wild Empathy.
Ban of Iron (Ex): Due to the mystic power of his oaths, a Perlelandron may never willingly carry equipment made from cold iron, nor may he wear armor made from any sort of metal. Doing so causes him to lose all Perelandon class abilities and spell progression for 24 hours!
Chosen of Nature Stance (Su): At 2nd level, you learn how to channel the energy from one of your stances in a new way. While you are in a stance from any discipline you know, you can forgo its normal benefit as a swift action to gain the effect of Chosen of Nature stance. This ability lasts as long you would maintain the stance, or as described below. You can also stop using Chosen of Nature stance as a swift action.
While you use this ability, your caster level when you cast divine spells increases by 1, and you gain a +2 deflection bonus to AC. In addition, when you first activate this ability, you can choose to expend a divine spell slot. If you do, you also gain damage reduction against all but evil-aligned attacks as long as you maintain the stance. The value of your damage reduction is equal to 2 x the level of spell you expend (maximum damage reduction 10/evil for expending a 5th level spell).
Woodland Stride (Ex): The Perelandron gains the Woodland Stride class feature if he did not already have it.
If the Perelandron already had the Woodland Stride class feature, he instead gains Sacred Bonus equal to his Charisma bonus for saves to resist the effects of thorns, briars and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion. A successful save means that the Perelandron completely ignores the effect.
Favored Enemy (Ex): You may select a favored enemy from the following list: Aberration, Construct, Elemental, Outsider (evil), Outsider (lawful), Undead. The Perelandron gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival checks against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. In addition, the bonus against any one previously selected favored enemy increases by +2, if the Perelandron already has a favored enemy from previous class levels.
Nature’s Consort (Su): When you attain 6th level, you earn the right to call yourself one of Nature’s Consorts. You can now perform the Breath of Tinidril ceremony for someone else, provided he or she is a suitable candidate and you are acting on the direction of an avatar of nature. (the DM decides if this is true for any given NPC.) You gain the abiity to sense the direction and distance to the nearest Perelandron, Perelandron candidate or avatar of nature (Fey, sentient plants and native elementals of 25+ hit dice)
Additionally, Nature’s Consort gains their Perelandon Level divided by 2 to the following:
Saving throws vs. the spells, supernatural abilities and special attacks of favored enemies
Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks vs Animals, Dragons, Elementals, Fey, Magical Beasts and Plants
Radiance of Terra (Su): At 7th level, the Perelandron is so in tune with the natural world that he brings health to the world around him. The Perelandron and any living thing (plants, elves, dragons, oozes, etc) within a radius of 5 ft. per class level of the Perelandron gains a bonus to Fortitude saves equal to the Perelandron’s Charisma bonus. In addition, any dying creature within the same radius automatically stabilizes. Plants and Animals in particular benefit from this aura and gain Fast Healing 1 while they are in the presence of the Perelandron. Once the Perelandon reaches this level of ability, new plants spring up in places where he has slept.
Quickening Strike (Su): Starting at 8th level, when you successfully attack an enemy with a martial strike, a divine spell of up to 1/2 your Perelandron level that you can cast before the end of your next turn is quickened (as by the Quicken Spell metamagic feat). Casting a spell that has been quickened by this abilitiy does not increase the effective level of the spell you cast. You do not need to know the Quicken Spell feat to use this ability. You can use this ability once per encounter.
Euphoric Rejuvenation (Su): At 10th level, once per week the Perelandron is capable of Euphoric Rejuvenation. With a shout of ecstacy, the Perelandron’s body and all equipment he carries is consumed in a blast of positive energy that washes over the area. This wave of energy extends to all planes touching the one the Perelandron is on, and delivers 20d6 points of positive energy to all things in a 20-foot radius (Reflex half, DC 19 + Charisma bonus). This blast heals living things and harms creatures and objects powered by negative energy. After a minimum of eight hours, and at the moment of sunrise, the Perelandron and all his worn or carried equipment reform from the land in the exact spot where he enacted the Euphoric Rejuvenation.
Upon reformation, the Perelandron is at full health, full rest, and is cleansed of all negative conditions.

OverdrivePrime
2011-06-19, 02:02 PM
Sorry for the double post here - it was late last night when I posted the first iteration. I've made a couple changes, including an image - meh - a BAB +8 requirement, skills (facepalm!), and to balance out some of the tasty stuff, the Ban of Iron restriction.

Metal weapons and items are fine, as long as the Perelandron doesn't encase his body in them.

Dragonscale armor is a popular choice among the Perelandron corps.

Anyway, what do you think? Too muddled? Too powerful? Underpowered? A lame theft of ideas from C.S. Lewis? :smallsigh: