View Full Version : Merfolk PC racial adjustments

Laniius
2011-06-19, 06:02 AM
I was curious as to what the stat adjustment would be for merfolk for an upcoming aquatic campaign I am playing in. The "[3.5] LA +1 & LA +2 Player Race List" on these boards lists the bonuses as:

Str +2; Dex +2; Con +4; Wis -2

but I am wondering where these numbers are coming from. The Monster Manual stat block lists the merfolk as having

Str 13; Dex 13; Con 14; Int 10; Wis 9; Cha 10

but then says that "The merfolk warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments" (This is also listed here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/merfolk.htm).)

Str 13; Dex 11; Con 12; Int 10; Wis 9; Cha 8

this works out to racial adjustments of

Str (13-13) = +0; Dex (13-11) = +2; Con (14-12) = +2; Int (10-10) = +0; Wis (9-9) = +0; Cha (10-8) = +2

or for easy reading

Dex +2, Con +2, Cha +2.

Is there something that I'm missing?

Yora
2011-06-19, 06:07 AM
The stat block says: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 10
And in the description you have: "The merfolk warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8."

So the racial ability modifiers are "Dex +2, Con +2, Cha +2".

you also get 50 ft. swim speed, +8 to Swim checks, low-light vision, and the amphibious ability. Really a simple race.

Laniius
2011-06-19, 06:38 AM
The stat block says: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 10
And in the description you have: "The merfolk warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8."

So the racial ability modifiers are "Dex +2, Con +2, Cha +2".

you also get 50 ft. swim speed, +8 to Swim checks, low-light vision, and the amphibious ability. Really a simple race.

That's what I thought. I just thought I might be going crazy or forgetting something as both the post on these boards and the heroforge program stated the first option I posted; but I guess they both made the mistake of looking at the stat block and ignoring the text supporting it. Thanks for the second opinion! Also, while on the subject of merfolk, if I wild shape (a la Druid) will my new form also have the aquatic subtype?

Amnestic
2011-06-19, 06:57 AM
That's what I thought. I just thought I might be going crazy or forgetting something as both the post on these boards and the heroforge program stated the first option I posted; but I guess they both made the mistake of looking at the stat block and ignoring the text supporting it. Thanks for the second opinion! Also, while on the subject of merfolk, if I wild shape (a la Druid) will my new form also have the aquatic subtype?

At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. Each time you use wild shape, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night.

And since there are no exceptions, we peek at Alternate Form...

# The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form. If the new form has the aquatic subtype, the creature gains that subtype as well.

(Source 1 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#wildShape), Source 2 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm))

So to answer your question: Yes, you retain your Aquatic Subtype while Wild Shaped.

Yora
2011-06-19, 07:07 AM
However, I would assume that you lose your amphibious ability when in the form of a land animal.

Amnestic
2011-06-19, 07:21 AM
However, I would assume that you lose your amphibious ability when in the form of a land animal.

Alternate Form says you retain the special qualities of your original form, and Wild Shape has no exception to that (that I can see, I have been known to miss the forest for the trees), and Amphibious is a Special Quality of Merfolk, so I'm afraid you assume incorrectly :smalltongue: You retain Amphibiousness while Wild Shaped.

Marnath
2011-06-19, 09:58 AM
I don't see a merfolk being terribly likely to be familiar with land animals. You can only turn into animals you know about, remember?

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-19, 03:37 PM
I don't see a merfolk being terribly likely to be familiar with land animals. You can only turn into animals you know about, remember?

You just need to see a seagull or a crab on the beach nearby to begin further explorations.