PDA

View Full Version : Darksword Adventures

Sahadeva
2011-06-19, 08:05 AM
Did anyone ever try playing Darksword (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darksword) Adventures?

For those not in the know, I'll provide a little info. It was published in a paperback book, much like a novel. The rules themselves were pretty badly done, from memory. The setting though, was actually quite good, based on a novel trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (they wrote the rules for the game also, probably part of the problem). Though I generally think that they're pretty awful writers, I actually liked the setting and thought it had a lot of potential. Though it wouldn't be MW/TH without some really stupid aspects to the setting, there were some surprisingly interesting aspects as well.

Essentially, it was set on this world where all of the humans were magic users. Technology was outlawed in all civilised places, with only one or two little outposts in the wilds. If someone so much as caught you digging in the ground with a stick, you'd be in trouble. So you'd need to come up with creative ways to do most things using magic.

On birth, everyone would be tested to see what their "Mystery" was. The Fire children would be quickly inducted into the police force, where they would essentially have no chance to have an identity. Life meant that you were doomed to become a priest, with no real magic of your own, only being able to replenish the magic energy of others. If you were Earth, you had to hope you were a noble, or you'd spend your life shaping chairs and tables, or slaving in the fields. Death meant that you were supposed to work with technology. But of course, that was outlawed. Better hope you have enough talent with another element, or... Those who displayed no apparent talent with magic would be left as babies to die of thirst. There were nine Mysteries in total.

The world in theory was ruled by city states, but the rulers were essentially high society idiots for the most part, and the real power was in the hands of the humble Life priests. They were responsible for outlawing technology when the real horrors in the world were the fault of magic users, they killed off a couple of the mysteries (Spirit and Time) who were capable of getting information since this allowed easy access to information for the common people.

So you had this society which had become completely stuck in it's ways because the rich people were distracted by frivolity, the poor people were too tired and starved much like our own feudal peasants to actually think for themselves, and those who had some idea of what was going on (outside the Illuminati priests) were swiftly crushed, or exiled to the wilds which were full of monsters too tough to fight without the priests on your side.As I've said, though, the rules were pretty atrocious. Anyone know of other systems that might be suitable? You'd need a system that had some sort of Spell Points, the ability to have several sets of magic (with varying amounts of access to most or all) which all did specific things, and that would allow you to essentially create whatever spell effects you wanted, within a few general guidelines (combat, health and healing, item creation and crafting, divination, and so on).

Anyone just read the books and like the thought of playing in the setting? Besides the bad rules in the books, there was a travelogue section which showed some areas of the world which weren't covered in the novels, and all sorts of information about the different Mysteries, society, and so forth. Even if you never play the game, it's a decent read if you like the setting itself.

Prime32
2011-06-19, 12:03 PM
Read it, thought it was interesting, never tried playing it.

Friv
2011-06-19, 12:38 PM
I owned that book, and it was both very cool and almost entirely unplayable. That was too bad.

Good system for it, hm... honestly, nothing springs to mind. It was a setting that was practically designed to be almost unplayable in an RPG without free-forming it - everyone has vast, poorly-defined powers with lots of flexibility and some form of MP system that one class is capable of refreshing. If you could balance that and still be playable, I will be very impressed.

Lapak
2011-06-19, 12:47 PM
I owned that way back when.

Closest thing to a workable system I can think of would be oWoD Mage rules. You've got your mysteries (with a little fiddling), you've got your ability to do whatever you chose; you'd just have to hack in some kind of limiters involving Quintessence in place of Paradox (which obviously wouldn't really exist there,) and give the Catalyst-priests the ability to channel Quintessence into others.

But I think you could make it work with minimal fudging.

Armoury99
2011-06-19, 01:48 PM
Own it, quite liked the setting (although the actual novels they're based on... not that good). Ran the game many moons ago and indeed pretty much unplayable as writen. Not so much bad as simply "not finished" and "not tested" in any meaningful way... :smallfrown:

From what I remember (it was a loooooong time ago) the basic system worked fine once I'd tweaked the costs for magic/ammount of 'power' (?) that players had, so they coud actually do the things they do in the books (like having flying rather than walking be a valid option). Treat the 'rules' as someone's vague campaign notes and work from there.

My players loved the PC's ability to effectively design their own spells on the fly. They liked that "character classes" came with a place in the social order, etc.

Overall I'd say it has a lot of potential.

Sahadeva
2011-06-19, 11:23 PM
Old Mage, huh? I'll have to check that out. I'll likely never play either DA or old World of Darkness, but it does sound interesting.

As for the novels, yes. They're pretty decent at crafting an interesting and engaging world...which they then ruin by filling with one-dimensional and/or ridiculous characters and lame plots. Probably the best thing to do is let them do that part, then take the setting away from them for someone else to actually write.

Interesting to hear that the game does actually work if you adjust a few things. I seem to remember that there were a lot of aspects that weren't explained at all, such as the famous anti-magic spell that the warlocks were fond of using. And other things were poorly calculated. I may be remembering this wrong, but even the lowliest first level peasant could sell a third of their magical energy (which is how much they'd recover from a good sleep), and have enough to sleep in a good room with a day's worth of decent food. Which makes you wonder why anyone was starving or working to eat at all.

But if it actually does work with some effort, maybe one day if I have someone's notes to work from, I'll try running a game of it for someone.

malleus818
2011-08-11, 10:51 PM
Well now. I cant believe i actually registered in this forum, just for this post. probably when the game came out, our old group grab a copy of it. There were four of us, and we played it nearly, wow 10 years?

We built up, expanded, the world, the rules, have maybe 15 binders, big ass thick binders, and numerous old hardrives crammed with crap. I cannot believe how much we played. Built the world up, massively, followed the old system, and magic system, pretty close but added and built new levels of magic, different effects and added new mysteries as well.

what a great game, years ago but it was brilliant. Everyone had magic, no spells, a great system. If you like it i would help you with it, or try to find something else. the problem is you need a system that needs no spells, that was the best part. you had points and you made up your own effects, brilliant. i adore the idea of a fluid open magic system, it would not fly with most pen and paper crowds, they would wreak havoc, but if you got good roleplayers then it might work.
we had the most brilliant dm at the time as well.

Searchin'
2011-11-16, 04:09 PM
Hi, I have read this book cover to cover lots of times trying hard to get my head around the rules. Love the idea of a pure magic world, spell points and point replenishment by catalysts.
Never known enough people to give it an honest go unfortunately.
I think the rules are very cumbersome but are 'nearly there.' If you had a good group, focused on joining the imaginative side of things with the mechanical side of things, you could really make it work well.
Repeated spell creation would make it more streamlined too. Perhaps with some quick templates.
I tried pbem this once which worked okish but had to bow out due to time comittments.
Hmm. am inclined to read it again now I'm thinking about it!

hewhosaysfish
2011-11-17, 08:08 AM
Ars Magica could work for this and I believe you can get it for free.
The game is similarly built around the idea that everyone will play a mage (plus a non-mage companion).

Magic is skill-based, so a mage wanting to throw a fireball would make a roll based on his Intelligence stat + his Creo Art + his Ignem Art ("Creo" and "Ignem" apparently being Latin for "I Create" and "Fire"); if he wanted to cast a spell to disintegrate a wooden wall he would roll Perdo + Herbam (i.e. "I Destroy" + "Plant").

There are 5 Techniques: Create, Destroy, Control, Change and Perceive; and 10 Forms: Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Animal, Plant, Mind, Body, Image and Power.
You would have to work out for yourself how to change these up to fit with the Mysteries of the setting or vice versa.

Spells are further divided into 2 kinds: Formulaic and Spontaneous. Formulaic spells are easier to cast but they have a fixed effect and it takes many months of research to develop a new one (and still a few months to learn one from someone else). Spontaneous spells are the opposite, in that a mage makes them up on the spot as and when he needs them but they are harder to cast than the Formulaic alternative would be because you are essentially improvising.

One potential drawback is that there's not a lot built into the system to keep a mage from casting spells all day. Trying to cast difficult Spontaneous spells will fatigue you (until you eventualy pass out) but if you have a Forumlaic spell which does what you want (or you're only trying a really easy Spontaneous spell) then I don't recall anything which might prevent you from spamming it... Maybe fumbles might? I'm at work ATM so I can't check the rules.

GungHo
2011-11-17, 02:42 PM
Yea, Ars Magica would let you do this without much fuss and is quite viable as a "single class with many flavors" game.