PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.5] Changing domains

Altair_the_Vexed
2011-06-19, 02:48 PM
Is there any ruling that allows one to change domains for a cleric later in your career?
Clearly one would have to take a domain granted by your deity.

Although, while we're on the subject, are there rules for changing deity?

(One of my players is looking to make the change. I'm asking because I'd rather find a rule than just go for DM fiat.)

Jude_H
2011-06-19, 03:17 PM
3.5's PHB2 gives away feat, domain and class feature changes pretty loosely.

I think it outlines switching deities as well, but I don't remember how.

edit: 3.5's Complete Champion also has a 2nd level spell that temporarily switches domains for CL days. With PF, that would be more powerful, but if you're mixing the systems, it might be worth looking at.

Zaq
2011-06-19, 03:43 PM
I don't remember ever reading any specific rules for changing deities, rather like how I don't believe there are any specific rules for changing alignment. If I'm right, I believe this to be a good thing, since it's the kind of thing that really should be different for everyone and handled on a case-by-case basis.

Personally, depending on the situation (whether the character had some kind of life-changing event that would make such a change obvious, how the two deities view each other, whether there's an experienced Cleric/holy figure there to guide the convert along, etc.), I think it would probably require an Atonement (not because it was a sin, necessarily, but because Atonement is kind of the catchall "big humble spiritual event" ceremony), some good roleplaying (try explaining to your church that it's not them, it's you), and some kind of distinct reason to change. That's just me, though.

Malimar
2011-06-19, 04:01 PM
PHB2 does offer a sidebar on dragon shamans switching to a new totem dragon (page 18); I imagine a cleric switching to a new deity should work much the same way, except perhaps more so.

EDIT: No, hold on, I'm pretty sure I've seen rules for clerics switching deities before. Or something cleric-like switching patron somethings, at least. I'm pretty sure it did involve atonement. It must be out there somewhere! I just don't know where.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-19, 04:19 PM
In MIC there is an item called domain draught. It pretty much gives you another domain for a while.

HunterOfJello
2011-06-19, 05:22 PM
For processes related to changing deities or domains I would suggest to just roleplay it out. Turn it into a quest reward instead of a purely mechanical change.