PDA

View Full Version : High Int/Dex toon thats not rogue

olejars
2011-06-19, 09:04 PM
I was thinking factotum, but was wondering what the playground thinks with these stats. Keep in mind these were organic rolls. Also race idea are up for grabs as well.

Str 10
Dex 16
Con 5
Int 17
Wis 7
Cha 10

Edit: Starting level is 5. And my DM allowed me either a bonus feat or +2 to any ability score.

Edit: Here's what I'm doing. Synad Necropolitan with 4 levels of Psion.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-19, 09:08 PM
How the hell do you expect to survive with 5 con? ... really that is asking to be killed.

If you can obviate that (Faire misteries initiate or Necropolitan being the best options); I would say a Dex based Warblade might work... finesse an Elven Courtblade or a Spiked chain, and somehow get your strength to 13 so you can grab power attack.

Edit: Also, it is spelled rogue, not rouge.

olejars
2011-06-19, 09:14 PM
That's where the role playing comes in with horrible stats.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-19, 09:18 PM
I just say, it will be difficult to survive, and for other option any Int-based caster might work too.

Arundel
2011-06-19, 09:23 PM
Really? I would go wizard and pray your meatshields are on point.

5 CON? Good lord...

mootoall
2011-06-19, 09:25 PM
*Looks at Con 5. Looks at "Fun to roleplay." Shudders.*

Depends, does your DM let your time in the afterlife be roleplayed? There's the difference between crippling your character and ... well, with a 5 Con, crippling your character. Take the Feeble flaw and get something for losing your HP, without also failing every single Fort save ever.

Thurbane
2011-06-19, 09:25 PM
Toon? Wasn't that a whole other RPG back in the 80s/90s? Or is it some tropes buzzword nowadays?

In regards to CON score - yes, low CON is really baneful to character survival. The only character I've ever seen played with a CON penalty was a gnome sorcerer (yes, even with the racial bonus CON was still about 6 or 7) in RHoD. Character died pretty early on to a manticore tail spike volley.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-19, 09:26 PM
Another slang word for character, comes from MMORPG (particularly WoW)AFAIK

Kantolin
2011-06-19, 09:49 PM
Uh.

While probably not the best idea given those stats, when I think 'High-Int/Dex', I think Lurk. ^_^

Since Lurks are fond of single swings, perhaps a spring attacker? That could possibly help you stay in safety.

Although going archer may be much smarter

FMArthur
2011-06-19, 10:12 PM
I don't think a character with 5 con will survive any single attack at any given level. Melee is just out of the question, and really I would stay away from anything that must engage in melee-approachable range as well. Flight would be helpful, but you also must render yourself invincible to ranged weaponry as well. You will still die if you're caught in any kind of damage spell's AoE.

Maybe you could play a Pixie, who has permanent greater invisibility and flight. They make decent Warlocks, although you may want to be a full-caster to be able to obviate certain dangers entirely, because any danger of any sort is capable of instagibbing a 5 con character.

Even after you take every precaution you can, have a backup character ready because you're still extremely likely to be die at any random moment in the game. 5 Con is a joke and should have gotten any D&D character killed LONG before any kind of adventuring career could even be considered.

Alabenson
2011-06-19, 10:47 PM
I'd play a gnome wizard and optimize like your life depends on it (because with your Con, it more or less will).

FMArthur
2011-06-19, 10:50 PM
Also, bring cupcakes to the game. Just happen to make one too many for equal distribution.

Kantolin
2011-06-19, 10:52 PM
Poor Raistlin.

Arundel
2011-06-19, 10:56 PM
5 Con is a joke and should have gotten any D&D character killed LONG before any kind of adventuring career could even be considered.

Your parents cat should have accidently killed you years ago. Horrifically.

Quietus
2011-06-19, 11:16 PM
Go Elf Wizard, for lulz. You get the plus of playing 3 con, and all the fun of roleplay that you feel comes with that. And if you survive, hey, awesome. If you don't? Well, you get to roll up something that doesn't have 1 HP/level.

Coidzor
2011-06-19, 11:18 PM
Toon? That's a different game system than d20/3.X.

Thurbane
2011-06-19, 11:23 PM
Toon? That's a different game system than d20/3.X.
Heh...snap. :smalltongue:

...this is what happens when people use jargon with the underlying assumption that everyone will understand what they mean.

FMArthur
2011-06-19, 11:23 PM
I'm still stuck in Ender's Game lingo where toon meant 'toon (platoon) or squad.

Anyway, does this character die when exhausted?

Coidzor
2011-06-19, 11:28 PM
I think penalties can't reduce things to 0, but that might be something that's explicitly called out in a spell or another that I'm applying to the general case...

So.... Possibly? :smallconfused: This case kinda highlights why organic rolls are not so good anyway...

What level are you starting play at, OP? Because Gnome Wizard > Necropolitan seems to be the best option at the moment, but that requires starting level of 3 or so.

...this is what happens when people use jargon with the underlying assumption that everyone will understand what they mean.

Especially when the jargon is inappropriate because there is no "toon" representing the character in a visual medium.

avr
2011-06-20, 12:17 AM
A psion with the vigor and share pain powers and a psicrystal is a partial answer. In particular, be an egoist - you can have fun with ectoplasmic form when you reach 5th level, which among other things gives you DR 10 & stops poison.

All of this has fairly short durations and takes actions to set up, so paranoia rules for you.

Heatwizard
2011-06-20, 01:24 AM
Five, yikes. You're going to be role-playing a corpse soon enough.

...Wait. If you start at, or can survive until, third level, you can trade a level's worth of XP to become a Necropolitan. Gives you null Con, and turns all your Hit Dice into d12s.

Dimers
2011-06-20, 01:28 AM
does this character die when exhausted?

Penalties don't kill or incapacitate. Ability damage would. *pretends obliviousness to humor*

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-20, 01:30 AM
Beguiler. High Int, High Dex. You're a sneaky blighter who casts illusion and enchantment spells, and also is a competent 'box man'.

If you want to get away from that, then traditional Wizard. With that Int, it'd be a shame to waste it.

Amnestic
2011-06-20, 02:45 AM
Another slang word for character, comes from MMORPG (particularly WoW)AFAIK

Admittedly it's been a few years since I stopped playing - and this is just my experience, but 'toon' was very rarely used in WoW when I did. Most people I came across referred to them as "chars", which I think would be an acceptable shorthand around here :smalltongue:

Gavinfoxx
2011-06-20, 02:54 AM
Uh, Necropolitan ASAP. 5 Constitution is not viable for a heroic D&D character, at all, ever.

LordBlades
2011-06-20, 04:10 AM
In addition to necropolitan, you can try dragonborn gnome wizard, 9 con isn't great, but it's a lot better than 5. Also non-magical flying is pretty handy.

Psyren
2011-06-20, 07:49 AM
Psion or Psychic Rogue, definitely. You will be KILL BY DEMONS otherwise.

Vigor+Share Pain+Psicrystal will (hopefully) keep you out of trouble.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-20, 08:06 AM
Go Elf Wizard, for lulz. You get the plus of playing 3 con, and all the fun of roleplay that you feel comes with that. And if you survive, hey, awesome. If you don't? Well, you get to roll up something that doesn't have 1 HP/level.

Age it to Venerable for 1 Con! And then:

Uh, Necropolitan ASAP. 5 Constitution is not viable for a heroic D&D character, at all, ever.

Awesomesauce in the making here.

shadow_archmagi
2011-06-20, 08:15 AM
Honestly, i think the playground is overreacting. 5 CON is perfectly survivable. Just uh, don't take CON damage.

That said, I recommend taking the Elan race, and becoming a Psion, so that you can spend power points to deflect damage.

Psions are a lot of fun anyway. It's like being a more flexible Sorcerer!

Taelas
2011-06-20, 08:42 AM
Don't listen to the people who say 5 Con is survivable. 5 Con means an average of 1 hit point per level for d4s (where it is also max) and d6s, and 1.5 for d8s (and 2.5 for d10s and 3.5 for d12s). Anything CR-appropriate hitting you -- ever -- likely means the end of your career, unless you pick a high die class and have incredibly lucky rolls... and don't do what that high die class is usually best at.

It is conceivable that you could get through an entire career without getting struck once, but it is so unlikely as to be practically impossible.

LordBlades
2011-06-20, 08:45 AM
Honestly, i think the playground is overreacting. 5 CON is perfectly survivable. Just uh, don't take CON damage.

That said, I recommend taking the Elan race, and becoming a Psion, so that you can spend power points to deflect damage.

Psions are a lot of fun anyway. It's like being a more flexible Sorcerer!

a 20th level barbarian with 5 con has 76 HP. That's what, 1-2 attacks at that level? Classes with lower HD have even less (d4 classes have 20 HP for example).I hardly call that 'perfectly survivable'

Taelas
2011-06-20, 08:55 AM
76 on average -- they could have more (all the way up to 9 per level, which is 180 hit points at level 20 -- which isn't that bad, even if it only just compares to the average of a normal d12 class with 14 Con). But, that would require maximum hit points every level.

CTrees
2011-06-20, 09:04 AM
Necropolitan, lich, polymorph effects to supercede your physical stats. Any of those, really, are my suggestion.

Oops. I really was not awake this morning.

mootoall
2011-06-20, 09:20 AM
Polymorphing into something with a high Con doesn't change your HP. Find something with lots of natural armor.

Telonius
2011-06-20, 09:23 AM
Pretty horrific scores there, and not just the CON. (7 wisdom? Total stat bonus of +1? Ugh.) Necropolitan is probably going to be your best bet. If you don't choose to go that route, the *most* survivable thing would probably be to beg your DM to allow a Faerun regional feat, Mind Over Body. It will give you a few extra HP at first, and help if you take any Metamagic feats.

The only thing I can find that *might* be able to salvage this wouldn't kick in until/unless you're an Elf or Halfling, and take a cohort with the same Feat: Faerie Mysteries Initiate (DR 319, p.58). It allows (among other things) a pair of characters to use INT to determine hitpoints. It won't help with your Fort or Will saves, but it could flip the hitpoints from deadly to survivable.

Frozen_Feet
2011-06-20, 09:24 AM
I echo suggestions of becoming a necropolitan. But even better - be a Spellstitched Corpsecrafted one. Be a Ninja/Illusionist Wizard/Arcane Trickster (I think Ninja's Sudden Strike has a special clause that allows it to qualify as Sneak Attack.) Become invisible undying murder machine. :smallbiggrin:

Amnestic
2011-06-20, 09:28 AM
The only thing I can find that *might* be able to salvage this wouldn't kick in until/unless you're an Elf or Halfling, and take a cohort with the same Feat: Faerie Mysteries Initiate (DR 319, p.58). It allows (among other things) a pair of characters to use INT to determine hitpoints. It won't help with your Fort or Will saves, but it could flip the hitpoints from deadly to survivable.

The ritual only needs to be done once for the effects to be permanent (they only change if you perform a different ritual). You could ask your DM (and I do advise asking him/her rather than going ahead with it and explaining it after the fact ;p) if you could write said ritual into your backstory; would mean you need the feat at 1st, but could save you the trouble of needing a cohort or partner to take it.

Talya
2011-06-20, 09:31 AM
Nothing wrong with playing a character with those ability scores.

Just...don't get too attached to him. :smallwink:

Yorae
2011-06-20, 09:33 AM
More on the topic of classes that prefer high dex/int, the one that instantly came to mind was the Swashbuckler (Complete Warrior).

HappyBlanket
2011-06-20, 10:01 AM

Fixed that for you.

sreservoir
2011-06-20, 10:27 AM
Age it to Venerable for 1 Con! And then:

Awesomesauce in the making here.

you would get to 1 con with just old, no need for venerable.

Treblain
2011-06-20, 10:43 AM
I recommend a Whisper Gnome Rogue 1/Wizard/Unseen Seer/Spellwarp Sniper. Stick with ranged sneak attack spells and don't get too attached to him. Sorry if that's too Rogue-y for you.

Yorae
2011-06-20, 10:43 AM
you would get to 1 con with just old, no need for venerable.

May as well get the extra mental stats anyway.

These stats are very close to the PHBs "if you get stats this low, reroll" clause.
=p

mint
2011-06-20, 10:46 AM
Honestly, I really think necropolitan is the way to go here.
Factotum has a d8 HD i think. If you get 8hp - CON mod instead of d8 - CON mod you might be fine without necropolitan if you focus on improving your con with magic items i guess.
My group don't have the flat +1 to a stat every 4 levels. We get 1 point buy-style point every level instead. We can pool them and to improve scores with that way instead. If your DM lets you do something like that you would also be more fine.
Just maybe take care of yourself and don't get into vans with strangers.

olejars
2011-06-20, 10:54 AM
The problem with the stats was the entire group, including npc's were done organically, so changing them for a buy system is a solid no. As much as I'd like it though.

And to the rest of you all that have given input, thank you!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-20, 10:56 AM
Thats why you become a necropolitan, as an undead you don't have a Con score (if you want to be cheesy, say you did the rite of crumifixion in a desecrated altar by a Dread Necromancer with all the corpsecrafter feats :smallwink:)

Talya
2011-06-20, 11:54 AM
Thats why you become a necropolitan, as an undead you don't have a Con score (if you want to be cheesy, say you did the rite of crumifixion in a desecrated altar by a Dread Necromancer with all the corpsecrafter feats :smallwink:)

Crucimigration. But yes. This is a fun little bit of cheese.

Midnight_v
2011-06-20, 12:02 PM
The medium race change option

I was thinking factotum, but was wondering what the playground thinks with these stats. Keep in mind these were organic rolls. Also race idea are up for grabs as well.

Str 10
Dex 16
Con 5
Int 17
Wis 7
Cha 10

Edit: Starting level is 5. And my DM allowed me either a bonus feat or +2 to any ability score.
I'd like to suggest a Dragonborn Whispergnome.
That would affect your stats a such.

Whisper Gnome: -2 Str +2 Dex +2 Con -2 Cha, small, 30 ft., silence 1/day (Cha 10 or better ghost sound, mage hand, message 1/day), rogue, humanoid (gnome), races of stone pg.

A dragonborn combines some of the racial traits of her original race and her new form. Only those traits gained from transformation are given here; see also the Mechanics of Rebirth sidebar.

+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity. Dragonborn are hearty and healthy, but they are awkward in their newly adopted bodies.
plus a host of other options, theres a link to the page if you like its in the races of the dragon book.
The wispergnome would then have: -2 Str +0 Dex +4 Con -2 Cha, applied to your stats.

The "I want to play this character with THESE STATS, no jimmying around with race to get better stats!" answer.
Barring that yeah... the best bet would be: You are the Elan Psionist equivilent of Raistlin Majere. Thats if I'm to take it that you want a race that doesn't adjust those stats, here you'll lose 2 points of charisma. You will get access to some resilience and repletion, which might help you get farther along with this pc.
You could also be a human psionicist. Your first level will look like this:
Human feat: Psionic Talent
1st Level Feat: Psionic body
Bonus class feat: Psionic Talent.
You'll start off everybattle casting Vigor.
Choose kineticist (so you can be an actual evoker) and energy missle people down.
Every level thereafter you take more psionic feats each one you take will give you 2 hp.

The answer if niether of those seem appealing:
Be a factotum, be a gnome, or a strongheart halfling, take font of inspiration... don't get hit.

Doktor Per
2011-06-20, 12:15 PM
Dude, what you are looking at here, is an excellent opportunity to play a Barbarian.

Take the Whirling Frenzy rage variant, take the exhaustive rage flaw and grab a bow! Once per fight you can get furious, shoot two arrows and then collapse on the ground, out of breath. Most of the time you'll just be running around shooting at people. (Or maybe you could get yourself a horse and go the whole Mongol route)

You are the smartest, most brightest of all Barbarian Lords. So what if you are not the strongest or the healthiest. You almost know how to read! And you're good at plenty of stuff. Like this horse you tamed yourself. Or the armor on your back, or the bow in your hand. Become a total survivalist. Because with ****ty con, you'll need all the tricks in the book you don't know how to read.

blazingshadow
2011-06-20, 12:37 PM
swap your constitution with your charisma or strength scores and roleplay that instead

JaronK
2011-06-20, 12:39 PM
I'm going to chime in with the chorus of "play a Necropolitan" just because you can't roleplay when you're dead. But as a Necropolitan Factotum, you should be fine.

JaronK

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-20, 12:43 PM
I'm going to chime in with the chorus of "play a Necropolitan" just because you can't roleplay when you're dead. But as a Necropolitan Factotum, you should be fine.

JaronK

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? : I mean if you are a necropolitan you are dead and you can roleplay :smalltongue

JaronK
2011-06-20, 01:04 PM
Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? : I mean if you are a necropolitan you are dead and you can roleplay :smalltongue

Undead! Not dead dead. Harumph.

JaronK

Xanmyral
2011-06-20, 01:16 PM
Man, with a Con score like that, I would be afraid anyone just breathing on this character would drop it in the negatives. Until you actually hit something past level ten, chances are you will have more negative hit points then actual hit points. Best suggestion is something to offset the Con penalty, like necropolitian or something like that.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-20, 03:05 PM
-nice build stuff-

Want me to dust off my dragonborn whisper gnome factotum build? Super-skillmonkey. Also hurls tridents and runs along walls at high speed matrix-style.

olejars
2011-06-20, 03:26 PM
Want me to dust off my dragonborn whisper gnome factotum build? Super-skillmonkey. Also hurls tridents and runs along walls at high speed matrix-style.

You sir, have piqued my interest.

Major
2011-06-20, 03:27 PM
Or he could take the faire initiate feat and get intelligence to HP...problem solved? Who needs con?

McStabbington
2011-06-20, 04:09 PM
You ever see the movie Unbreakable? There was a character in that movie with a disorder called Osteogenesis imperfecta. He doesn't make a certain protein and it makes his bones very brittle, very easy to break. He's had more than 50 broken bones in his life.

He has about a 6 Constitution.

Seriously, I'm surprised your character hasn't hemmoraged to death from a surprise sneezing fit. What he's doing as a PC I have no idea, but I suspect his tenure as a member of your party will be short and rather messy.

olejars
2011-06-20, 04:09 PM
So if I go with Necropolitan, are all my past and future hit dice d12's then?