PDA

View Full Version : undeFEATable 20: Shadowdancers (PF)

rokurei
2011-06-19, 10:16 PM
So I absolutely adore the Shadowdancer prestige class for its flavor and play style - though as I'm sure you're all totally aware , the class is MORE than lacking in power.

undeFEATable was (still is?) a Paizo mini project that released a series of .PDFs that contained class specific feats. They're all around 3 bucks or so if I remember right.

I currently own #10 ( Rogues ) , #9 (Monks), and of course #20 (Shadowdancers) .

On to the main topic, I want to see what people can think of for making a sub/full optimized Shadowdancer .

I can't post straight from the .pdf as that would be... illegal . But seeing as there are hundred of already existing sites that list the " Short " versions of 3.5 and Paizo content I see no problem listing some of the ones I found interesting in undeFEATable 20.

I'll start with just the names, and update later today:
EDIT: Ones that interested me in blue.

Dance of Shadows and Mystery
Dreaded Shadowdancer
Extra Shadow Jumping
Extra Shadow Power
Greater Shadow Crafting
Improved Hide in Plain Sight
Legendary Shadow Master
Master of Light and Shadow
Master of Shadow Tactics
Master Shadow Caller
Shadow Crafting
Shadowdancer's Companion
Shadowdancer's Darkvision
Shadowdancer's Familiar
Shadow Roll
Shadow Scrying
Shadowy Critical
Shadowy Mind
Shadow Moves
Shadowy Spring Attack
Shadowy Stalker
Spawn of the Shadows
Summon Greater Shadow
Summon Twin Shadows
Swift Shadow Jump

EDIT:

You know I'll just go ahead and post the full descriptions - if someone asks me to I'll take them down right away.

Dance of Shadows and Mystery (Reqs Shadowdancer 3 and Some Skills Ranks):

While you are located in an dimly lit (or darker) area, as a standard action, you are able to begin dancing to initiate any one of several different magical effects. This effect lasts as long as you continue to dance and remain within a dimly lit area, and you can maintain it each round as a free action. You can use this ability a total number of rounds per day equal to twice your shadowdancer level. You may choose from the following effects: gain 5% concealment per level of shadowdancer you possess; cause a single target chosen when the ability is initiated to become confused (as confusion) unless it makes a successful Will save (which it may remake each round in order to break the effect); gain a 5 foot enhancement bonus to your speed for each level of shadowdancer you possess; double the range of your darkvision; create a mirror image of yourself (as with the mirror image spell); or gain a +1 bonus to Stealth checks for each level of shadowdancer
you possess. Your caster level for this effect is equal to your shadowdancer level, and the Difficulty Class of any saving throws made against these effects is equal to 10 + your shadowdancer level + your Charisma modifier.

Master Shadow Caller (Reqs Shadowdancer 6) :

You are able to use your shadow call class ability a number of times per day equal to your shadowdancer level instead of the normal amount. In addition, whenever you use a shadow conjuration or greater shadow conjuration spell and its effects are located at least partially in an area of dim light, its effects are considered 5% more real and 5% more likely to work per level of shadowdancer you possess. Normal: Normally you can use your shadow illusion ability once per day at 4th level and one additional time per day per 2 additional levels of shadowdancer you possess, and the effects of the spell are 20% real (for shadow conjuration) or 60% real (for greater shadow conjuration).

Does that mean with 8 levels in Shadowdancer - Greater Conjurations generates 100% real conjuration spell effects?

Flickerdart
2011-06-19, 10:18 PM
Shadowdancer? You mean the 1-level PrC that gives HiPS? I'm not sure how you want to "optimize" that. :smallwink:

rokurei
2011-06-19, 10:23 PM
Shadowdancer? You mean the 1-level PrC that gives HiPS? I'm not sure how you want to "optimize" that. :smallwink:

I don't know if anyone has ever seen the content in undeFEATable, I was hoping that given the information they might salvage a prestige that is otherwise trash and bump if up a few tiers :P .

Flickerdart
2011-06-19, 10:25 PM
Oh, I see. In that case...

Swordsage 19/Shadowdancer 1

rokurei
2011-06-19, 10:27 PM
Oh, I see. In that case...

Swordsage 19/Shadowdancer 1

The feats in the .pdf all require Shadowdancer levels. Besides Shadowy Spring Attack , which is move , attack, move, hide again ; which yes - would probably work out damn fine on a Swordsage.

Also, I'm talking about Pathfinder's Shadowdancer, not 3.5's - which is indeed a fat load of garbage on a plate.

Blisstake
2011-06-19, 10:48 PM
Try paladin/shadowdancer. It's actually a pretty nice combo, although I don't know how that interacts with the special feats.

rokurei
2011-06-19, 11:20 PM
Try paladin/shadowdancer. It's actually a pretty nice combo, although I don't know how that interacts with the special feats.

Paladins don't get Stealth or Perform Dance far as I know :P

Blisstake
2011-06-19, 11:35 PM
That doesn't matter, in PF there aren't any penalties for taking CC-skills; you just don't get the extra +3. I like using paladins with them, because they don't get redundant bonuses (evasion and uncanny dodge), and they already use charisma.

rokurei
2011-06-19, 11:46 PM
That doesn't matter, in PF there aren't any penalties for taking CC-skills; you just don't get the extra +3. I like using paladins with them, because they don't get redundant bonuses (evasion and uncanny dodge), and they already use charisma.

Well that's kinda nifty - show's you how much I actually payed attention to rule changes in PF. :P

Interesting thought then. I'll look into that - the feats in the book are definitely directed more towards Rogues, Wizards, and Bards as the subclasses to it. What do you run focus your Paladin/SDancer on?

Blisstake
2011-06-19, 11:55 PM
She used a bow as her primary weapon (smite evil can be used with ranged weapons now!), but wasn't afraid to get into melee combat. Her saves were excellent, and improved uncanny dodge, evasion, and high AC (she used a mithral chain shirt) gave her surprising survivability in fights.

She basically ended up being a tanky utility character with below-average damage output.

rokurei
2011-06-20, 12:13 AM
She used a bow as her primary weapon (smite evil can be used with ranged weapons now!), but wasn't afraid to get into melee combat. Her saves were excellent, and improved uncanny dodge, evasion, and high AC (she used a mithral chain shirt) gave her surprising survivability in fights.

She basically ended up being a tanky utility character with below-average damage output.

Interesting.

Legendary Shadow Master - Improves your DR and Saves from Shadow Master from DR 10/- & +2 Saves to DR/15- and +4 to all Saves. Also ups the 1d6 rounds of blind on a crit to 2d6.

Did you make use of your Shadow Companion thing at all?

CTrees
2011-06-20, 08:33 AM

To be fair, the Pathfinder Shadowdancer is a fair bit better than 3.x's version.

Just not nearly enough to make it anything besides a one-level dip.

(actually I could see for certain builds in PF-only games taking two levels. For example, might not be terrible for that stealthy paladin, if it was human - a +1BAB level that gives uncanny dodge, evasion, and darkvision... it ain't horrible, and on the PF anti-paladin (for flavor more than anything - gods of darkness and what have you), I could see it being tolerable)

Blisstake
2011-06-20, 09:43 AM
Yeah, the shadow companion was really capable of weakening the hard-hitting enemies, and came in handy when the party rogue needed a quick flanking partner.

Oddly enough, the iconic shadowdancer ability, shadow jump, didn't come up as often as I thought it would.

rokurei
2011-06-20, 01:26 PM
Anyone know if that Master Shadow Caller feat I have listed above would allow things to be conjured as real with Greater Shadow Conjuration?

The Random NPC
2011-06-21, 12:43 AM
By RAW, it would be more real then real life. But only in areas of dim lighting.

rokurei
2011-06-21, 11:22 AM
By RAW, it would be more real then real life. But only in areas of dim lighting.

" Methinks this wall seems TOO real? "

Hm.

As a DM, would you let players use Major Creation through it and have the things they created be tangible? Like for poison crafting or something similar?

The Random NPC
2011-06-22, 12:06 AM
As a DM, my gut reaction would be no. But poisons need a boost. On the other hand, it helps spell casters more then non spell casters. On the other other hand, Shadowdancers aren't really spell casters. After a bit of thought, I would probably allow it.