PDA

View Full Version : AMF and the Mournland

hivedragon
2011-06-19, 10:47 PM
If you lay down an antimagic field in the mournland right before you go to sleep would you heal as normal?

Marnath
2011-06-19, 11:27 PM
I guess it depends on how strong you want to say the effects of the Mournlands are. To my way of thinking, anything powerful enough to permanently alter an area that size is going to be too powerful to supress. YMMV.

Alleran
2011-06-19, 11:43 PM
I guess it depends on how strong you want to say the effects of the Mournlands are. To my way of thinking, anything powerful enough to permanently alter an area that size is going to be too powerful to supress. YMMV.
I would disagree, with the caveat that just any old antimagic field likely won't do the trick (I would characterise the Mournland disaster as being epic-level in scope, so it'll probably overwhelm regular AMF emanations) - you'd need something of similar power to push back the effects.

avr
2011-06-20, 12:28 AM
I define the Mournland as being like another plane; AMF wouldn't change it any more than it would make the chaotic and evil-aligned traits go away if cast in the Abyss. YMMV.

Alleran
2011-06-20, 12:41 AM
I define the Mournland as being like another plane; AMF wouldn't change it any more than it would make the chaotic and evil-aligned traits go away if cast in the Abyss. YMMV.
There are spells (like Planar Bubble, 7th level Sor/Wiz) that can change the plane around you to be more like your home plane. Would you rule that as successful if employed?

Kol Korran
2011-06-20, 02:51 AM
i don't count the mournland's inability to heal as magic, but rather some inexplicable force that defies explanation. defying explanation is THE thing about the Mournland.

that said, i don't think there is a specific ruling about it.

a much simpler way (which i think is also mentioned in The Five Nations is to use a rope trick spell to temporarily step out of the mournland. on that note i would probably allow planar bubble to work.

another question on the same matter- what would an AMF do to a living spell encountered?

Halae
2011-06-20, 04:19 AM
another question on the same matter- what would an AMF do to a living spell encountered?

Same thing it does to any ooze - It no longer has the availability of magic. Technically, living spells are no more magical than dragons or goats once they take a life of their own, except for their special abilities

FelixG
2011-06-20, 07:56 AM
Same thing it does to any ooze - It no longer has the availability of magic. Technically, living spells are no more magical than dragons or goats once they take a life of their own, except for their special abilities

A goat brought into existence with Summoned...something...poofs when entering an AMF though.. :smallwink:

Douglas
2011-06-20, 10:18 AM
A goat brought into existence with Summoned...something...poofs when entering an AMF though.. :smallwink:
Only if the AMF beats the goat's spell resistance. Not that goats have SR.