PDA

View Full Version : New Dm looking for resources

Isearchfortraps
2011-06-20, 01:11 AM
Recently me and a friend have been playing dnd ever few weeks and though i usualy dm a rather simple story line and "quests" i find they take a incredably long time to make when i am trying to do each room on a page with graph paper to make moment and attack ect esseay to see. Now this was managable at first but i may have started on smethign that i just cant do 100% from crash i told my frind id make a defencive quest were the goal was basacly defend ye old town form ye evil guys, the problem is as a quicky learned making a hole town one building at a time and one room at a time is going to take months... I was woudering if anyone new places with presone bulding that i could take the planes from and just re arage were they are in the game world so i could save on having to do the floor planes of each building in the entire city. Any help anf tips greatly apriciated. Also sorry for bad spelling and punctuation.

QuidEst
2011-06-20, 07:57 AM
Well, I thought Donjon (http://donjon.bin.sh/) had a rather impressive set of options available, including a random dungeon generator. I would recommend editing what it gives you to give it a coherent theme, but it should give you a nice start.

Eldan
2011-06-20, 08:05 AM
Don't plan the entire town room for room. As you've noticed, it's pretty silly, and in all likelihood, your player will never enter 90% of these rooms.

Instead, think about which buildings will actually feature in the story, and which will have any fights in them. Only map out these. Furthermore, most buildings you'll ever encounter can be summed up perfectly well as "Ye Olde 30ft.*30 ft. room with some obstacles (difficult terrain)".

big teej
2011-06-20, 10:44 AM
+ 1 to donjon, I use alot of it's tools.

also.

+1 to only prepping certainties.

for instance, my party at school has been operating out of the same town for about 6-8 months in game (and about a year IRL)

they've been to:
- the tavern
- the sorcerer's house
- the temple of hiernoius
- the library
- the cemetary
- shops

of these, I only had to draw out the cemetary because it was a dungeon crawl. as for everything else, I just have to determine what's there/available.

save your hard work for things you are GOING TO NEED. such as the goblin camp about 5 miles down the road, or the dragon's lair.

Isearchfortraps
2011-06-20, 12:08 PM
thank you very much for the tips and the donjon it will help a very large ammout.