PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of background help(information on elementals)

Starwulf
2011-06-20, 02:18 AM
Ok, so I'm playing a stonechild in a campaign, and his backstory has his mother(a human) being raped by an earth elemental. problem is, is every time I envision an earth elemental, I think of a creature entirely made out of dirt, stone, and gems. Doesn't really sound very conducive to something like that. Are there any other elementals that don't have that kind of appearance that could produce a Stonechild? Also, I need help on a proper sounding name for the Father(especially since my guy is intent on killing him someday).

Heatwizard
2011-06-20, 02:27 AM
Apparently Dao are the earth entry of genies, and they're where Genasis tend to get their elemental blood from, if I recall correctly. (Genies, I mean, not Dao specifically)

JeminiZero
2011-06-20, 02:28 AM
Maybe instead of a true Earth Elemental, the deed was done by an Earth Elemental Savant [CArc 32]?

dsmiles
2011-06-20, 07:19 AM
Apparently Dao are the earth entry of genies, and they're where Genasis tend to get their elemental blood from, if I recall correctly. (Genies, I mean, not Dao specifically)
Yup. That's the one. Genies are elementals in 3.5 (and Dao aren't very nice ones, IIRC, though not as not nice as Efreeti).

Eldan
2011-06-20, 07:26 AM
I don't know much about Dao myself, really, but from what I remember, they are vaguely middle-eastern/arabian nights-ish, like the other genies, and have an empire mostly built on slavery.

dsmiles
2011-06-20, 07:30 AM
I don't know much about Dao myself, really, but from what I remember, they are vaguely middle-eastern/arabian nights-ish, like the other genies, and have an empire mostly built on slavery.
Well, back in the day...(IIRC) Djinn were the only really "nice" ones, being good aligned (I believe they were either Lawful or Neutral Good), Efreeti were Lawful Evil, Marids were Neutral of some sort, and Dao were Lawful Neutral (but not nice, at all). Bear in mind I'm AFB, and my memory of 1e/2e isn't always spot on.

Eldan
2011-06-20, 07:32 AM
Well, back in the day...(IIRC) Djinn were the only really "nice" ones, being good aligned (I believe they were either Lawful or Neutral Good), Efreeti were Lawful Evil, Marids were Neutral of some sort, and Dao were Lawful Neutral (but not nice, at all). Bear in mind I'm AFB, and my memory of 1e/2e isn't always spot on.

I did read most of the Planescape books at one point or anoterh, it's just that I don't remember much about the Dao. Perhaps Planewalker (www.planewalker.com) could help? Denizens of the Inner Planes probably has something on Dao.