PDA

View Full Version : So, I want to make this character.

TechnOkami
2011-06-20, 02:58 AM
I honestly do not care whatsoever if it is optimized or not, because frankly, I do not care: the idea is too awesome for me not to do.

I want to make a Rogue Warlock.

The choosing of Invocations themselves I can pretty much figure out on my own, but where I do need some help is with the choosing of feats, races, and anything else which might be relevant. That said, does anyone have any suggestions? "Other than don't, obviously..."

veven
2011-06-20, 04:28 AM
While it won't be as damaging as a rogue with a ton of attacks you can get some decent damage if you go with the hellfire warlock (fiendish codex 2) to make up for the lost eldritch blast damage. Invest heavily in UMD and get a wand of Sniper's Shot to use eldritch spear and make sneak attacks at 250 feet away. Get the flight invocation or flee the scene, something like that.

Not the greatest but you could certainly have some fun with it.

Yora
2011-06-20, 04:41 AM
Doesn't Eldritch Blast require an attack roll? In that case: Eldritch Sneak Attack Blast!

I'm not very familiar with warlocks, but I think they have some invocations that are useful for stealth. If you have a way to turn invisible, getting Sneak Attacks becomes even more easy.

It seems to be a quite popular combination:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100378
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/248112-warlock-rogue.html

Ceaon
2011-06-20, 06:36 AM
Which sources do you have access to?

For feats: Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot. Basic ranged feats. Ability Focus (eldritch blast). Skill Focus: UMD. (Greater) Spell Penetration. Extra Invocation.
For race: Human or anything with a dex bonus.

Really, this is a fun and solid combination. Have fun with it! You could maybe post a possible build, adjusting a build slightly is easier than broad advice.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-20, 06:43 AM
Which sources do you have access to?

For feats: Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot. Basic ranged feats. Ability Focus (eldritch blast). Skill Focus: UMD. (Greater) Spell Penetration. Extra Invocation.
For race: Human or anything with a dex bonus.

Really, this is a fun and solid combination. Have fun with it! You could maybe post a possible build, adjusting a build slightly is easier than broad advice.

Gnomes and other small things also make good ranged warlocks and rogues, so they are definitely, good for a combination of the two.

Ankhman
2011-06-20, 06:51 AM
for that .. whispergnomes are the top, albeit a bit on the gouda side of life.

once made one myself, but it was a halfling, because whispergnomes were not allowed ;) but we could take an invocation at every level .. nice hoserule.
for inspiration .. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=259801

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-20, 08:01 AM
for that .. whispergnomes are the top, albeit a bit on the gouda side of life.

once made one myself, but it was a halfling, because whispergnomes were not allowed ;) but we could take an invocation at every level .. nice hoserule.
for inspiration .. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=259801

My theory on Whisper Gnomes is that the bottom of the stats got cut off somewhere in the design process. There isn't an LA listed, even though others would usually have +0 written down on the last line. Look closely and you'll see they don't have any languages, either.

They are a nice race, though.

big teej
2011-06-20, 10:46 AM
I honestly do not care whatsoever if it is optimized or not, because frankly, I do not care: the idea is too awesome for me not to do.

I want to make a Rogue Warlock.

The choosing of Invocations themselves I can pretty much figure out on my own, but where I do need some help is with the choosing of feats, races, and anything else which might be relevant. That said, does anyone have any suggestions? "Other than don't, obviously..."

at the risk of sounding snarky (and I really don't mean too)

if you don't care how it turns out..... why ask for build advice? why not just pick whatever you want?

or even roll dice for all those choices.

zyborg
2011-06-20, 10:59 AM

if you don't care how it turns out..... why ask for build advice? why not just pick whatever you want?

Just because the concept may not be optimized, doesn't mean that he doesn't want advice on how to optimize it as much as possible so it at least isn't sucky. An unoptimized class combination can still be more optimized, if not highly optimized. That's my opinion on where he's going with this,. It's like saying that he'd rather use a dagger than a sword. Even though the sword is more damaging, doesn't mean that he doesn't want tips on how to sharpen his dagger.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-20, 11:02 AM

'Cuz there is a difference between not caring much about optimisation and actually giving up on being able to do anything useful.

big teej
2011-06-20, 11:12 AM
Just because the concept may not be optimized, doesn't mean that he doesn't want advice on how to optimize it as much as possible so it at least isn't sucky. An unoptimized class combination can still be more optimized, if not highly optimized. That's my opinion on where he's going with this,. It's like saying that he'd rather use a dagger than a sword. Even though the sword is more damaging, doesn't mean that he doesn't want tips on how to sharpen his dagger.

ah, read more emphasis on the "don't care" part I suppose.

Treblain
2011-06-20, 11:17 AM
The best part about being a Rogue/Warlock? Sneak Attack Eldritch Blast whenever you want.

Why? This thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57352) Take the Darkness Invocation and Blend Into Shadows from DotU, and you can cast Darkness on a locket or something, flip it open at the beginning of combat, and Hide in the Darkness as a swift action for free sneak attack for the whole combat.

Also, go for Arcane Trickster if you can. You can qualify if you get a feat to use Mage Hand, and it lets you advance SA, EB, and Invocations at the same time.

mootoall
2011-06-20, 11:27 AM
Might I recommend Psychic Rogue instead of Rogue? A bit of Cha synergy, alongside (slightly reduced) Sneak Attack, plus you could pobably get away with refluffing Eldritch Theurge to progress psionics as well.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-20, 03:02 PM
Might I recommend Psychic Rogue instead of Rogue? A bit of Cha synergy, alongside (slightly reduced) Sneak Attack, plus you could pobably get away with refluffing Eldritch Theurge to progress psionics as well.

While Psychic Rogue is preferable to Rogue, theurge PrCs work best on full casters (and full psionkers) without class features to lose.

(Yes I know they're called manifesters, but psionkers sounds cooler.)